One Way Rivalry

Discussions for the Orlando Cepeda League (Majors).

Moderator: CaseyStengel

Eric1546

One Way Rivalry

Post by Eric1546 »

To the Wise Guys, my Hermit Crabs have likely been a minor speed bump on their way to greater playoff glory. However, they have been the nightmare matchup for me for several years now. They have beaten us in the NLDS in heartbreaking fashion for three years running now. In particular, they have crushed two specific pitchers, one starter (Leo Mason) and my closer (Jack Heitmuller).

2093: We are the #4 seed with 96 wins against the dominant 105 win Wise Guys as the top seed. We are quickly down 1 game to 3 in the series, but mount a comeback to force game 7. We are up 1 run to zero going into the bottom of the 7th with one of our top starters Mason still on the mound (an All Star reserve with a 1.13 WHIP and 3.29 ERA). He gives up two solo HRs in the inning, and the Wise Guys take a 2-1 lead that they hold to win the NLDS. The Wise Guys beat the Shadows in 6 games in the NLCS, and the Superunknown in 6 games to take the World Series Championship.

2094: Again we're the #4 seed with 90 wins against the 97 win Wise Guys at #1. The Hermit Crabs remarkably come back from down 0 games to 3 in the NLDS to tie the series at 3-3 games each, and then in game 7 we have a 2-1 lead going into the bottom of the 8th. My closer Heitmuller comes in, and has plenty of stamina for a two inning save opportunity. He immediately gives up a home run to the first batter he faces to tie the game. He then gives up a two-run walk-off HR in the 9th to lose the series. That year during the regular season Heitmuller had 24 saves vs 4 blown saves, a WHIP of 1.13 and ERA of 2.58. The Wise Guys lose to the Peppers in 7 games in the NLCS.

2095: We had the #1 seed locked up with 110 wins. It looked like we'd get the Honkers in the playoffs, until the Wise Guys had a late slide in the regular season to tie the Honkers at 94 wins and drop to the #4 seed in a tiebreak (of course). Fast forward to Game 6 of the NLDS: The Hermit Crabs are up 3 games to 2 in the series, and we have a 3-0 lead at the top of the 6th inning. My Cy Young winning ace Mason has been cruising, but then allows the Wise Guys to tie the game with the help of an error by one of my best defensive players. We then lose in extra innings with the closer Heitmuller on the mound. Mason had a 22-7 record, with, 210 Ks, 1.05 WHIP and 2.20 ERA that year, and started the All Star game. Heitmuller was an All Star reserve with 40 saves vs 9 blown saves, 1.27 WHIP and 3.32 ERA. We are never really competitive in game 7, and go out with a whimper. The Wise Guys beat the Honkers in game 7 of the NLCS, and then lose to the Superunknown in 6 games in the WS.

It is still very early in this season, but I'd currently be the #1 seed and the Wise Guys are just three games back from the #4 seed.
glu24

Re: One Way Rivalry

Post by glu24 »

Very interesting and we'll written. I'm looking forward to your *rivalry* continuing!
hockymstr26

Post by hockymstr26 »

Sorry to have caused so much heartbreak for you over the years. It does seem fitting that after this read the Wise Guys end their 7 game skid against the Hermit Crabs.
Eric1546

Post by Eric1546 »

The drama and heartbreak are all a part of the fun. One of the best things about the OCL league is how hard the competition can be. Sustained success is super difficult, and that keep is interesting.

If I ever get past the Wise Guys, all the more satisfying. If I never do so, all the more tragic. In either case it keeps it engaging and fun.

Return to “Orlando Cepeda League (Majors)”