Bringing Back the Hall of Fame

Discussions for the Goose Goslin League.

Moderator: ballmark

ballmark

Bringing Back the Hall of Fame

Post by ballmark »

As we are very near the midpoint of the season (in fact, tonight marks 81 games played) ... the thought has been on my mind about trying to resurrect the Hall of Fame. I've requested HOF Commissioner credentials from Admin, since Damien435 has left the site and took his credentials with him.

The last players inducted into our Hall were from 1989, so I've been looking at the players who retired but appeared in All Star games over the last 37 years to find the ones who retired in '89. There are just under 500 of them. Of those 500, 15 played during 1989 and a surprising 7 of them are still alive. One is actually already in the Hall: Arson Daley.

I've also been trying to remember the guidelines we used for nomination to the Hall. In SimDynasty, we have no subjective values to measure. No clubhouse character, no newspaper interviews or sports magazines/internet stories/personality profiles to read, and no way to judge how much a player boosts or harms a team's morale with his off-the-field antics or community philanthropy. All we have are numbers, so let's be sure of the numbers.

There is an excellent sabermetric article based on the work of Bill James at: https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2014/ ... -standards if anyone wants to take a deep dive into the numbers but here is what I can remember of the guidelines we used for nomination to the Hall:

BATTERS
Any one of the following:
5 years as an All Star
MVP Award
3,000 Hits
500 HR
500 SB
or
Any two of the following:
ROY Award
2 or more Gold Glove Awards
2,500 Hits
300 SB
300 HR
.300 or higher career BA
.750 or higher OPS

PITCHERS
Any one of the following:
5 years as an All Star
Cy Young Award
FOY Award 3 or more consecutive years
3,000 Strikeouts
300 Wins
300 Saves
or
Any two of the following:
ROY Award
FOY Award
2 or more Gold Glove Awards
2,500 Strikeouts
250 Saves
ERA lower than 3.30
WHIP lower than 1.35

I'm probably "massaging" that memory a little but that's pretty darn close. Thoughts, anyone...?
bpearly69

Re: Bringing Back the Hall of Fame

Post by bpearly69 »

sounds like a fun thing to bring back
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

Looking at the nomination filter and the players it generates, I think the "5 years as an All Star" needs to be bumped to the "Any *two* of the following" list :arrow: using that factor alone to nominate a player is creating some awfully weak candidates that probably should not be nominated.

Also, the OPS number should likely be bumped up to .800.

Still, on the whole, I'd rather more candidates were generated than fewer, and let the voters be the deciders on who gets in and who doesn't. But before people vote, they should take a look at who is already there to get a feel for the level of player Hall membership requires.
Q_142857

Post by Q_142857 »

That sounds like a good plan. I'm looking forward to it!

Return to “Goose Goslin League”