Baseball Scores and News

Discussions for the Clark Griffith League.
basilrathbonejr

Baseball Scores and News

Post by basilrathbonejr »

Drummond ''Oil Drum'' Chandler said after pitching nine innings against the Colorado Crayons walking an amazing eleven batters with Frank Dascoli behind the plate that ''it was 'a guessing game. For awhile he called the inside pitches strikes, then his zone moved outside, then high .. then I just threw the damned ball and hoped.''

Chandler pointed to his season's log where his walks have gone up of late walking five in his last start and four prior to that. ''I have some things to work on there, but eleven walks over nine innings just jumps out at you as 'strange.' ''

Dascoli said when asked, ''I call 'em like I see 'em and I did not see many strikes.''

Chandler walked eleven and Colorado pitchers Pop Andrews and John Walewander combined to walk seven. The difference in the game might well have been the difference in the hits the two teams accumulated. Colorado had only four hits off Chandler while the Expos tallied thirteen.

After AndrewS, a converted relief pitcher, struck out the side in the first inning Chandler immediately ran into trouble by walking four batters in the first inning. Chandler walked Tony Balsamo, then got Ken Hobson to ground out to Buddy Mancuso at second. Perez walked to put two on one out. Todd Jones flied out to center fielder Mark Hisner. Catcher Irish Canale drew yet another walk to load the bases. Chandler and catcher Frewddie Bench conferred but Sutcliffe walked on a 3-2 count forcing in a run (Balsamo).

Andrew had some problems with Dascoli in the second when HE walked Bill Givens leading off, who stole second base and scored on a double by Derek Heard tying the game 1-1. Andrews also walked Ed Brewster escaping further scoring by gettiung Chandler to ground out.

Despite the control problems by Chandler, who put eight on base via walk through the first three innings, ten through four, he walked only three after that. The Expos committed two errors... and still the Crayons did not have a hit through seven and two thirds innings until Rex Miley broke up the no-hit bid with a single.

Montreal broke the 1-1 tie with a six run fifth inning sending eleven batters to the plate collecting five hits and five runs off Andrews and one hit that scored a run charged to Andrews off John Walewander.

Ed Brewster doubled, Chandler put down a sacrifice bunt, Hisner doubled, Brewster scored putting Montreal ahead 2-1. Mancuso drew the only walk of the inning. Tommy Burke's singled drove in Hisner (3-1) and a three run homerun by Bill Givens broke the game opened up a 6-1 lead. Fred Bench doubled and scored on a single off Andrews replacement, John Walewander.

Chandler walked and scored the final run for Montreal in the 8th inning on a bases loaded walk issued to Pinch hitter Doe Bracken.

Colorado scored a couple of runs on three hits in the ninth but Chandler, now 4-1, picked up one of the more memorable wins this season.The Cubs Claude Passeau won his fifth game (5-1) on the strength of two two run homeruns in the 2nd and 7th inning by Phil Cavaretta.

Montreal wins game two by a 9-3 final score and takes a one game lead over Colorado, Chicago and Pittsburgh as the league tightens up considerably.

Pittsburgh also downed St Louis by a 4-2 score.

Return to “Clark Griffith League”