Chaos fire manager!

Discussions for the Vince Coleman League.

Moderator: skycoyote

TopherB19

Chaos fire manager!

Post by TopherB19 »

(PHILADELPHIA, Penn. June 26, 2104) -- The Philadelphia Chaos announced today that they have fired manager Sparky Stengel, effective immediately after today's game against Houston. The move surprised beat writers and observers of the club given its current first place standing. But even first place couldn't protect Stengel from the effects of a month-long slump.

After cruising to an historic 35-5 start (equaling the 1984 Detroit Tigers), the Chaos have struggled to play .500 in recent weeks. Even the 5-0 victory over Houston brought the team to only 19-17 in the past six weeks. Team ownership invested heavily in the past season and a half, engaging in trade and sign deals to bolster its pitching staff to match its homegrown offensive talent. Having traded away first round draft picks for the next three seasons, and with a payroll well over the luxury tax threshold, Chaos owner TopherB19 is clearly in "win now" mode -- and .500 baseball even after a torrid start is clearly not acceptable to the volatile owner.

"We thank Sparky for everything he's done for our franchise in the past few years," said Topher at a hastily called news conference at Entropy Field this afternoon. "He deserves credit for developing our young talent over the past few years, and getting us a game away from a championship last season. But with the talent we have on this team, we were hoping to see more consistent play on the field. A month and a half of .500 baseball just isn't good enough, and we felt we needed to make a change."

Stengel will be replaced on an iterim level by bench coach Leyland Maddon. Maddon was unavailable for comment immediately after the Houston game; players said he was crouched in the shower talking to himself. Asked what Maddon was saying, one player who asked not to be identified replied, "I think I heard him say 'If 30 games over .500 isn't good enough, what the hell do they want me to do?"
"This field, this game -- it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again."
Steelsmith

Re: Chaos fire manager!

Post by Steelsmith »

Dear Editor,

I just read the Article about the Firing of the Great Sparky Stengel. We the fans are outraged and are calling for a rally at the Philadelphia City Hall and we will then march in parade to the Liberty Bell and then to Independence Hall. A that point we will call for the rehiring of Sparky and for the the firing and exile of GM TopherB19. How could Sparky work under such pressure as being applied by the evil Topher? No one could.
A concerned Citizen/Fan
sjs28foe

Post by sjs28foe »

Dear Editor,
I completely agree with the Concerned Citizen/Fan. As a long-time Chaos season ticket holder (of a block of 8 seats I might add), I am writing to let you know I will not be renewing my season tickets if Topher doesn't reinstate Sparky. Just because our beloved team is named "Chaos" doesn't mean Topher has to literally create it.

Sincerely,
Chaos season ticket holder (maybe, we'll see...)
Vinnland

Post by Vinnland »

some teams are like a speeding freight train all the way to the playoffs :D
Steelsmith

Post by Steelsmith »

It looks like Leyland Maddon has for now righted the ship. :D
TopherB19

Post by TopherB19 »

Chaos management took a wait and see approach to the potential season ticket holder revolt, hoping that results on the field might quell the discontent. As Leyland Maddon has managed to go 20-6 in his first month, the turnstiles are still spinning like pinwheels and management is satisfied that for now the fan base is happy.
"This field, this game -- it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again."
Steelsmith

Post by Steelsmith »

Topher, you are a Poet!

Entropy Field?
I love it!

Return to “Vince Coleman League”