170 teams

Let us know what you'd like to see!
Duff77

Re: 170 teams

Post by Duff77 »

I'm just going to throw my two cents into this...

I've always felt that 16 teams is just too many. Too many owners get bogged down in the middle of the pack for too long and lose interest in their teams. I think 12-team leagues would run much more smoothly. Maybe even 10-team leagues with some form of interleague play. If, as has been suggested, a way can be found to preserve a league's history, the simplest solution may be to shrink a lot of these leagues down to 12 teams. Hell -- maybe even eight.
Baltimore Orange Sox, Cy Young League
Owner Since 2008

World Champions: 1995, 96, 97, 2019, 20, 21, 22, 23, 25, 40
Slvanlae

Post by Slvanlae »

LOL...I prefer the 24 team leagues. They are more active with waivers, claims and trades. Draft deferential substantial.
Dogbelly

Post by Dogbelly »

Duff77 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:43 am I'm just going to throw my two cents into this...

I've always felt that 16 teams is just too many. Too many owners get bogged down in the middle of the pack for too long and lose interest in their teams. I think 12-team leagues would run much more smoothly. Maybe even 10-team leagues with some form of interleague play. If, as has been suggested, a way can be found to preserve a league's history, the simplest solution may be to shrink a lot of these leagues down to 12 teams. Hell -- maybe even eight.
I like this idea.

I would submit that if preserving the leagues history is the hold-up, there may be other ways to do it. I'm no programmer so I may be way off base here, but is it possible to log the history in another forum?
nuzzy62

Post by nuzzy62 »

It's actually 210 teams now.

When one 24-team league has 15 openings, it's time to shut it down and move those owners to a different league.
PhillyDynasty

Post by PhillyDynasty »

nuzzy62 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:29 pm When one 24-team league has 15 openings, it's time to shut it down and move those owners to a different league.
Strongly agree. I am much less likely to add teams when there are a dozen unclaimed teams in a league, than I am when there are one or two openings per term. Multiple veteran owners have publicly commented (here, but also on league boards) that they are cutting back on teams, rather than adding at this time. Cull the vacant leagues (or merge them, if that ever happens), decrease the number of available leagues, and then hopefully open new leagues in the medium to long term as things stabilize, league boards become more active, owners become more engaged, and people look to add new teams.

Edit: I realize I typed a version of this message on page two of the thread. Shouting into the abyss maybe. If merging the leagues is such a difficult problem, I strongly believe that closing the most inactive of them--and migrating existing, active owners to new leagues with "free seasons" as an incentive/thank you for their continued ownership--would be better for the site in the medium and long term. .02
nuzzy62

Post by nuzzy62 »

There are other 16-team leagues with seven, eight and nine openings. I would never sign up for one of these league and would have to seriously consider signing uo with a league that had three or more teams.
PhillyDynasty

Post by PhillyDynasty »

nuzzy62 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:13 pm There are other 16-team leagues with seven, eight and nine openings. I would never sign up for one of these league and would have to seriously consider signing uo with a league that had three or more teams.
Exactly. I left one of them (the Hank Aaron League), which had been my longest running league and the one that I felt most tied to, because nearly half the league was inactive. I joined a league that just had one opening.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

The Paul Waner League has 1 opening. It's a 6 GPD league, system 5 minors, pretty basic rules. It's been a great league for a long time!
Dogbelly

Post by Dogbelly »

I'm counting 218 teams now. Up from 170 since mid-December.

It would be nice to see Admin chime in on this.
PhillyDynasty

Post by PhillyDynasty »

Dogbelly wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 6:05 am I'm counting 218 teams now. Up from 170 since mid-December.

It would be nice to see Admin chime in on this.
So much for league merge fixes being complete "by the end of the first week of April at the latest" :roll:

There are leagues that are over half empty!

Return to “Baseball Suggestions And Enhancements”