Positional change flexibility for pinch hitters and defensive replacements

Let us know what you'd like to see!
GM33

Positional change flexibility for pinch hitters and defensive replacements

Post by GM33 »

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but similar to the "Backups" pages vs RHB and LHB, I think that adding some type of positional fill order grid for pinch hitters and defensive substitutes would add an extra element of flexibility and realism to the game.

For example, say your preferred starting SS doesn't hit lefties all that well, your 2B is your backup SS, and your backup 2B hits lefties well. Ideally you could pinch hit for the SS if behind late in the game vs a lefty RP, then move the starting 2B to SS, and the pinch hitter stays in the game at his natural position 2B.

Or perhaps your starting 3B isn't strong defensively, your starting 2B plays both 2B/3B well, and your best defensive bench player is eligible only at 2B. Ideally, protecting a late game lead you'd like to sub out your 3B, move your starting 2B to 3B, and bring in your bench player at 2B.

It seems the current one-for-one positional substitute only can be somewhat limiting at times, though I understand these scenarios can be planned around in different ways.

The game is already great, just an idea to get incrementally better!
WillyD

Re: Positional change flexibility for pinch hitters and defensive replacements

Post by WillyD »

GM33 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:52 pm Not sure if this has been discussed before, but similar to the "Backups" pages vs RHB and LHB, I think that adding some type of positional fill order grid for pinch hitters and defensive substitutes would add an extra element of flexibility and realism to the game.

For example, say your preferred starting SS doesn't hit lefties all that well, your 2B is your backup SS, and your backup 2B hits lefties well. Ideally you could pinch hit for the SS if behind late in the game vs a lefty RP, then move the starting 2B to SS, and the pinch hitter stays in the game at his natural position 2B.

Or perhaps your starting 3B isn't strong defensively, your starting 2B plays both 2B/3B well, and your best defensive bench player is eligible only at 2B. Ideally, protecting a late game lead you'd like to sub out your 3B, move your starting 2B to 3B, and bring in your bench player at 2B.

It seems the current one-for-one positional substitute only can be somewhat limiting at times, though I understand these scenarios can be planned around in different ways.

The game is already great, just an idea to get incrementally better!
That would be a great game enhancement. It shouldn't be overly difficult to accomplish for Chris, if he had the time. The new code of course would be some work, but if it referred to the backups pages then it should work logically if you had your starting 2nd baseman (from the examples above) listed as the #1 backup for SS (with appropriate priority #'s in place) in example #1, and the backup for 3B in example 2.
LTJaeger

Post by LTJaeger »

I've always wanted that sort of option to be available in the game.
GM33

Post by GM33 »

More support of this concept from the Baseball Game Questions forum...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20562
kidspeed

Post by kidspeed »

wow. I'm new and have been wanting this. what an enhancement this would be. I second and third everything that has been said.

Return to “Baseball Suggestions And Enhancements”