Merge or close leagues

Let us know what you'd like to see!
Leonard

Merge or close leagues

Post by Leonard »

There are currently 90 teams needing owners. Some leagues have 7 or more teams without owners. It's time to merge or close some leagues. Tough to make trades when half the teams in a league don't have owners. It's also time-consuming for league commissioners to clean up teams every season.
ballmark

Re: Merge or close leagues

Post by ballmark »

I believe Admin would be open to doing this, but someone needs to do some legwork first that he doesn't have time to do - namely, identify the leagues (the big piece) and even go so far as to suggest which ones should merge and then, if you have the gumption, feel out the owners in those leagues and get their buy-in. After that, it's just code that Admin's already done before so it can be a QED thing for him and it might actually happen.
BZL: KC Clippers#
GGL: Detroit Diamonds*
CDL: New York Neons
SYL: Texas Lonestars#
SPL: Cincinnati Mavericks*
24TBeta: Boston/Seattle/Montreal/Miami

# Commissioner ~ * HOF Facilitator ~ @ Chaperone
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

I long have suggested that the Santo Rodriguez and the Robin Yount leagues should be merged. One or two owners not wanting to do so should not be a deterrent to doing this. Admin should say this is what will be done. When I first joined SD leagues with fewer than ten owners were closed automatially. Now it is left to the owners to weigh in and nothing gets done. The two leagues I mentioned above should have been merged at least a year ago.
Vytron

Post by Vytron »

Leonard wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:17 pm One or two owners not wanting to do so should not be a deterrent to doing this.
If they leave the leagues and stop paying their subscription then the revenue lost isn't good for the site.
SquidJordan wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:09 am all you can do is all you can do.
Vytron wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:01 pm Disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

One or two owners leaving isn't going to make much difference in the site's finances. I often look to join other leagues and am not encouraged to join a league with half the teams without owners. The Jumbo Brown League is a 24 team league with 8 teams that are missing owners. That league could be cut back to the normal 16 teams but again a few owner say they like the 24 team format. I don't see what the issue is there. These two moves alone would reduce the available teams list by about 1/4.
Vytron

Post by Vytron »

Leonard wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:06 pm These two moves alone would reduce the available teams list by about 1/4.
And doing that has no extra benefit. The whole point of the site is to produce revenue, sacrificing revenue to get rid of available teams is counter-productive. If available teams bother some people, admin could have an option to hide available teams, then the list will appear empty to the people that are bothered by the list and want to see fewer items in it.

Bottom line: the benefit of reducing available teams is the revenue produced by selling them, losing customers that already bought to reduce the list reduces revenue so it goes against the original purpose of selling the teams. All such merging must be unanimous.
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

No revenue is gained from teams that have been vacant for months. Seeing a league that has one or two openings encourages people to buy into the league more than leagues that have as many as ten openings. It doesn't bother me to see the list of available teams except to see. One team on the list has been without an owner since 11/29 of last year. Another has an team without an owner for two months. Do you want to buy into a league that only has six real owners? I don't. It doesn't affect me either way. I can choose whatever leagues I want. I just think it is better for the site when leagues are full or nearly so.
Vytron

Post by Vytron »

Leonard wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:58 am I just think it is better for the site when leagues are full or nearly so.
My point about revenue is that it's very easy to fill all leagues, just allow trial leaguers to fill those spots for free, knowing that if someone buys their team they're out. So you get all spots filled by humans in a heartbeat (say, trial league champions that have proven they know how to play and would do well on unowned pay league teams). The reason this isn't done is... someone that was going to buy the team doesn't buy it because they can have it for free, hurting revenue.

So there's alternative ways to close/merging, but I guess the current situation is the one that admin believes maximizes revenue. It wouldn't hurt to ask people in case there's unanimous agreement about merging, anyway, as the players that don't want to merge could be hypothetical in some cases.
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

I had an owner today that decided to leave a league of which I am the commissioner. The reason given was the number of teams without owners. Add one more to the previous 90 teams without an owner.
Slvanlae

Post by Slvanlae »

The owners of the site should invest in their product instead of letting it languish.

Return to “Baseball Suggestions And Enhancements”