Hey Detroit!

Discussions for the Kid Gleason League.
dymundwizerd

Hey Detroit!

Post by dymundwizerd »

Say Detroit!

I was born there!

So...I have played this sim game for nearly 8 years....maybe more....but never have "bought in"...

I enjoy your banter...you should (if you don't) be a sports writer....earning rather than spending.

Sell me on buying in!
basilrathbonejr

Re: Hey Detroit!

Post by basilrathbonejr »

I have been a sports writer...when I was in high school.

Since then however, I spent twenty five years in the US Army in the commiunications field. For a great portion of thise years I was a COMSEC Custodian. That is a person in charge of the crypto code books and storage of classified documents etc.

I did do some writing thpough. I wrote SOPS, distruction plans for classified material, and escape plans as well as many award citations.

I spemt the last few days of our season visiting my son and could not find time to write up gthe final games of the season. My Tigers are an impressive team. I was in a slump with all my teams..maybe this one can win.

i did spend the last few days of the season resting the starters and auditioning players for playoff spots on the roster be because of the number of players acquired after the deadline. I don't think they would have won without Pearce and Blass and a couple of other acquisitions, not counting Simpsom, a big disappointment.

Thanks for the note.
basilrathbonejr

Post by basilrathbonejr »

Oh BTW I have always played the free leagues as well...
jacktoast

Post by jacktoast »

Congrats on the series win....Really thought that the loss of those ineligible players might hurt but the added injury to my catcher just sealed our doom..as they always said in Brooklyn,.....Wait 'till next year!!"
dymundwizerd

Post by dymundwizerd »

Well...thanks....it was almost as I might expect.

As long as I have played this game....the best team record usually doesn't survive to win the whole thing. It might be complacency on the favorites part making assumptions and not line up changes. Or it is just the system.

I have deduced that "involvement" to some degree through each week (if not daily) increases your chances of ABE recognizing that.... and giving you participation "points".

You must be retired and have plenty of time on your hands. But I love your analysis. I would do the same....but just don't have time.

I am a few short years from retirement myself....

I do spend much more time on my "pay sites" leagues through Yahoo....(primarily baseball...but hockey too) .but this game does provide some alternative strategies and fun.

Good luck...I feel asleep at the wheel this first week of the 2nd round....but hopefully will pick things up a bit.

By the way...just for shits and giggles....and I am not lying....

The second year I played this game (several years ago).....the "free" season actually went 162 games. My Season ending record was 116-46! Seemed like I always had a 8 game winning streak. Blew the entire league away...only to lose the WS in 7. Not sure if it had to do with all the parameters and setting that I did induldge in...which in this season...I have not adjusted many of the default settings. Wish I knew what I did!

Haha
dymundwizerd

Post by dymundwizerd »

Oh....and also...regarding draft....

I didn't even think about it...so I retained players I should have waived.....and didn't take advantage of that....DUH
jacktoast

Post by jacktoast »

I do like the general manager aspect. I enjoy making trades and perusing the waiver wires for veterans to pick up. You are right the best regular season team is marked for death in the playoff but look at the Braves of the 1990s, they just about always had the best record and won the World Series once in five trips and were in the playoffs every year as well.

I don't think the minor leaguers imporve as fast as some veterans fade. Wish they'd change thast somehow...
jacktoast

Post by jacktoast »

I'm back at it now after missing a few games at the start of the season..I like this league.'

Return to “Kid Gleason League”