San Diego offseason report

Discussions for the Gaylord Perry League.

Moderators: nuzzy62, Buzzz

nuzzy62

San Diego offseason report

Post by nuzzy62 »

The Border Patrol head into the 2445 season with several changes. The team took a step forward last year when it made the World Series for the first time in this six-year playoff run. They finally got past Pittsburgh, and Colorado before them, only to run into a solid Washington Senators team.

The team bade farewell to veteran players backstop Joe Willis http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id=13232659 and third sacker Bob Johnson http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id=13232636. Willis, the 24th pick of the '26 draft, had lost playing time over the last four seasons to power-hitting Charlie Mathewson, but had put together a career that is the 13th best from that draft. His only awards were two gold gloves.

Johnson was another pick from the star-laden '26 draft for the Patrol. He was like a fine wine as his all-star seasons were late in his career in '41 and '42. He also won two gold gloves. He finished with a .280 career average and finally lost his starting job in the '44 season to 25-year-old Hal Boehler.

They have been replaced on the 25-man roster by Murry Hinds, a project catcher, and power-hitting shortstop Jim Carlson. Carlson is expected to get plenty of at bats as a utility infielder and injury replacement starter.

Meanwhile, First baseman Harry Colbert, a descendant of funnyman Stephen, saw a decline of 35, but is still a worthy A- player. He batted a career-high .339 in a limited role, but had lost his starting job to master blaster Kurt Ferrarese. Starters and former A players brian Burns and Matt Groh both had declines of around 16.

Setup man Hank Kimm lost 12 delcines and starter Dode Fiilam 8, but Rookie of the Year winner Newt Friel added 12 to his repertoire.

San Diego is hoping for a solid draft as the team continues to add plenty of depth in the minors. Former first-round draft pick Jorge Paumier is still languishing on the farm club in spite of being an A- player for the past two seasons. Japanese import Tomokazu McIntosh (his father moved from Scotland to Japan and married a former geisha girl from Osaka), is also waiting in the wings and could be promoted next year. Pitcher Vern Ewing is out of options and was in the mix to be promoted but lost out as the Patrol needed a catcher. He will need pitching injuries to get promoted. Slugging first baseman Tommy Sigafoos is also out of options but San Diego is already carrying three players at his position.
Buzzz

Re: San Diego offseason report

Post by Buzzz »

Nuzzy, as a reporter, news pro do you recall how the old days of print newspaper didn't each article end with -AP (if it was Associated Press)? Followed by the writers name? Does that still happen?
nuzzy62

Post by nuzzy62 »

It does, depending on the agency. One of my gigs is writing for Reuters and my name appears below Reuters and all the editors and copy editors and the contributors appear at the bottom. I know it's the same at the NY Times.
nuzzy62

Post by nuzzy62 »

In the draft, SD picked up Kiyoshi Nakano, a Japan League legend. The Border Patrol have to find a spot for him in the majors and may be looking to move some talent to give him a shot. Some in the scouting department were arguing they should have gone younger and were not happy with the pic but the top brass were looking for someone that could contribute right away as they are weening older players out.

Second round pick Francisco Jeter will be more of a long-term project as they hope he will grow into a starting pitcher role.
dtv

Post by dtv »

Congrats on the pennant.

Hopefully the off season. which left Pitt a little weaker, won’t keep the wild rovers from a chance at avenging their defeat.
nuzzy62

Post by nuzzy62 »

dtv wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:58 am Congrats on the pennant.

Hopefully the off season. which left Pitt a little weaker, won’t keep the wild rovers from a chance at avenging their defeat.
I think I will be slightly better. Overall, my starting position players are up a little. My pitchers are slightly down but the backend of my rotation is better. Friel was +12, and os37 Joe Kindall http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=13236995 picked up six control improves to finish up +2. He may be my favorite underdog player of all time. He's a fifth round pick that should win his 150th game this year and has a sub 4 ERA. The only year he was an all-star he also won the Cy Young.

Return to “Gaylord Perry League”