Do we want to vote on hall of famers

Discussions for the Simmons Davis League.
Michael1

Do we want to vote on hall of famers

Post by Michael1 »

I am set up to run it but want to know if any of the 9 year retirees will get any traction on a vote. If you want to give them a shot say yes to voting if not say no to voting the majority will rule. I will wait to Mar 26 to post a ballot.
randb

Re: Do we want to vote on hall of famers

Post by randb »

I'm for it. However, we only have 10 seasons counting this one in the combined league. In the Willie Davis league, we had an HOF and probably so did the Simmons league. Would we bring those players forward to the Simmons Davis league if the HOF lists are still available?
Slvanlae

Post by Slvanlae »

more seasons needed
KuwentongPato

Post by KuwentongPato »

My vote is yes because there were some fantastic players active during the changeover and their high level of play during a prolonged period (7-9 seasons) shouldn't be penalized by this. My case in point is pitcher Mark Kremer who played for NY and CLE before recently retiring at 38 after winning more than 140 games and 3 CY Young awards. I don't believe that we should go back to the old league records on these players but Kremer was even more dominant before the changeover on a staff where Doggie Whitmer was the #2 pitcher. They each retired closing in on 300 wins. Former Houston 1B Ed Gardenhire is another brief example of the types of players to review. But of course I am using the combined stats only as an example of why not to forget about a great player.
Michael1

Post by Michael1 »

most of the previous leagues records are gone since the crash. I can find Simmons stuff but the Davis can only be seen by a owner who merged.
Michael1

Post by Michael1 »

No real want for the Hall here so no ballot. I love the apathy on this site, makes a person really want to renew. I am so bored with the site as no one will offer good trades, to me at least, and the drafts are not helpful anymore.
Slvanlae

Post by Slvanlae »

Hopefully the team doesn't stay managed by the Bot for long. Always hate to see them go just as a rebuild begins.
starbolt

Post by starbolt »

I'm interested in the HoF but I'm not sure how best to do it. There aren't enough seasons yet for a "pure" vote and I've no insight into the other league. Add to sustaining 70 hour weeks since November and I didn't even have time to research this past season's draft much less delve into numbers (which I love).

I think it might be best to have a Veteran's committee for each league to make the case for "tweeners". I just wouldn't know how to evaluate another league's players.

I know Ed Gardenhire was a beast... he seemed on a mission to keep Con Rock from getting the MVP recognition he so richly deserved :p

Please don't take my delayed response as apathy. I still haven't bragged about York's near-perfect season (most wins by a PURE starting pitcher in the league so far as I know; 15-1 at home, 12-1 on the road) or Klobendanz's single-season RBI record (according to CHN). Check. Check.

Life happens!
starbolt

Post by starbolt »

Didn't realize he was a rage-quit. Seattle seemed a capable and constant franchise.

As for trades, I've found that most owners have no idea HOW to trade. They offer cast-offs or try to trade up with spare parts. Spam trades are common, too (you have a vet you want to move so you spam desperate offers to every team and hope someone bites). That's pretty discouraging; particularly when the offer that comes shows NO sensitivity to value or team impact.

If you're in the ballpark, I'll respond with an acceptance, a counter, or an articulate rejections. If your offer is so off-base as to be offensive, you can expect a silent rejection... that's the best I can muster.
Slvanlae

Post by Slvanlae »

starbolt wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:01 pm Didn't realize he was a rage-quit. Seattle seemed a capable and constant franchise.

As for trades, I've found that most owners have no idea HOW to trade. They offer cast-offs or try to trade up with spare parts. Spam trades are common, too (you have a vet you want to move so you spam desperate offers to every team and hope someone bites). That's pretty discouraging; particularly when the offer that comes shows NO sensitivity to value or team impact.

If you're in the ballpark, I'll respond with an acceptance, a counter, or an articulate rejections. If your offer is so off-base as to be offensive, you can expect a silent rejection... that's the best I can muster.
You have been "offended" by trade offers? I get dismissing, head scratching even laughing but why would you actually be insulted simply by an offer to exchange players?

Return to “Simmons Davis League”