Machine

Discussions for the Joe Medwick League.
BCNEvan

Machine

Post by BCNEvan »

Well, it's been a consistent, if underperforming, run for the Machine. It's time to start selling. I'm primarily looking for picks starting with next season's draft (not this draft).
spicoli306

Re: Machine

Post by spicoli306 »

Well, my team sure wants to keep giving you reasons to think your roster is still full of "World Beaters". I swear I think some of my players seem to always freaking wilt when they face good competition. We go 10-2 against the bottom teams and then are soundly beat down by Washington. Last season, we looked like crap against Cleveland, Minnesota, and Washington, and it looks like we are going to have a repeat.

Man, Hatsuoka was another steal. That was a type of deal Toronto always seemed to get to go perfectly for them back when they were competing. If he keeps pitching like this, I don't see you struggling to compete with Minnesota and Cleveland. Plus, you need to give Show another chance for an MVP. All your other big bats have been crowned at least once: Dougherty (2013,2020), Stewart (2018), Brown (2021), and Snow (2022). Poor Show has a lifetime .311 average, a shot at breaking Pierce's record for Stolen Bases, a shot at finishing near the JML record for all-time Runs Scored, and an All-Star appearance in every season so far, yet he is still without that MVP hardware.
Lyrici17

Post by Lyrici17 »

I'm going to guess that some of the voters probably wrote "Snow" when they meant "Show" (seems maybe possible in 2018).
BCNEvan

Post by BCNEvan »

I think the < 25 HRs that Show hits hurts his chances, especially in combination with him batting lead-off. It's actually kind of interesting to see how much RBIs seem to be factored into the MVP voting. This team seems to generate RBIs at the 1-8 slots pretty consistently, so I've only had a single season where a batter went north of 140 RBIs (Dougherty won the MVP that year), and only three other seasons where I had a batter have 130+ RBI (Stewart won his MVP in one of those years). And the team has generally been one of the top three in RS during this run.

Hatsuoka filled a role, since I needed another pitcher. I probably would have ended up outside the playoffs last season if I ran with my original starters. He's not quite ace quality, though. My former ace, Kraemer--who was just coming off 3 consecutive Cy Young awards--fell off a cliff. His ERA went from 2.55 to 4.5 between 2024 and 2025.
spicoli306

Post by spicoli306 »

BCNEvan wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:18 pm I think the < 25 HRs that Show hits hurts his chances, especially in combination with him batting lead-off. It's actually kind of interesting to see how much RBIs seem to be factored into the MVP voting. This team seems to generate RBIs at the 1-8 slots pretty consistently, so I've only had a single season where a batter went north of 140 RBIs (Dougherty won the MVP that year), and only three other seasons where I had a batter have 130+ RBI (Stewart won his MVP in one of those years). And the team has generally been one of the top three in RS during this run.
Yeah, I think Show has had 3 big things working against him: a) CF not being more valued by the voting formula compared to SS, C, & 2B, b) The other guys who won during his career were probably the more common 30-40 HR, 120-130 RBI type, i.e. cleanup hitters, and c) Early career was probably his most prolific, but that meant he was competing with guys who were fully developed in the 30-34 age range. His 2017 was possibly the best season for a ROY-hitter in the history of the JML. He might not have been the MVP, but he was definitely a huge surprise to debut like that at 23. Then, his 24 & 26 were arguably his best seasons so far, which have added to his spectacular career because even the best players tend to be mostly average at that age. However, his lack of HR's at that point likely cost him votes.

In the meantime, it looks like he is taking my criticism to heart. :D His biggest challenge is likely to come once again from another teammate who just so happens to be in line to get the controversial RF-boost from the MVP formula.
BCNEvan wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:18 pm Hatsuoka filled a role, since I needed another pitcher. I probably would have ended up outside the playoffs last season if I ran with my original starters. He's not quite ace quality, though. My former ace, Kraemer--who was just coming off 3 consecutive Cy Young awards--fell off a cliff. His ERA went from 2.55 to 4.5 between 2024 and 2025.
Kraemer may be gone, but I'd say Hatsuoka, Watt, and Metrulas are making up for the loss. Good luck for the rest of the season. It could end up being a great one with 5 teams that are all interesting.
Wookieboy

Post by Wookieboy »

As much as I would have enjoyed offering for some of your teammates I just feel that I was not ready yet for acquiring this season.

The Machine are still very tough this season without any trade ..good luck in the postseason you have the vets that want to win another Trophy
spicoli306

Post by spicoli306 »

Wookieboy wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:51 pm As much as I would have enjoyed offering for some of your teammates I just feel that I was not ready yet for acquiring this season.

The Machine are still very tough this season without any trade ..good luck in the postseason you have the vets that want to win another Trophy
I really enjoy seasons like this where you have a large group of contending rosters at different stages. I respect the hell out of machoking for putting together an amazing team, but sometimes these Super-teams that are full of future HOFers make it so that everybody else kinda give up. I have always respected the AL for having quite a few patient owners. You're right, Wookieboy, you very easily could have exchanged some of your mass of treasure for the rest of Washington's valuable roster in a bid for contending this year. I, for one, like to just wait it out until the roster develops naturally into a winner on it's own. Of course I say this knowing Seattle is probably the likeliest chance of turning into the next Super-team. ;)

Return to “Joe Medwick League”