New Career SB Leader!

Discussions for the Joe Medwick League.
Lyrici17

New Career SB Leader!

Post by Lyrici17 »

Congrats to Corey Pierce who is now the career leader in SB (638)!
spicoli306

Re: New Career SB Leader!

Post by spicoli306 »

Congrats to the newest member of the Rogues Gallery!

We don't expect Pierce to pad his career total much but we wouldn't mind it if he were to mentor some of Boston's struggling basestealers: Milton East (21 CS), Derrick Pointer (10 CS), and Walt Newman (10 CS).
Lyrici17

Post by Lyrici17 »

To be fair to Milton East, he had a better SB/CS ratio than Pierce last season (36/21 vs 24/23). Sure, Pierce is 13 years older and on the decline, but still (not that a 63% steal rate is very ideal).
spicoli306

Post by spicoli306 »

Lyrici17 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:30 pm To be fair to Milton East, he had a better SB/CS ratio than Pierce last season (36/21 vs 24/23). Sure, Pierce is 13 years older and on the decline, but still (not that a 63% steal rate is very ideal).
Yeah, I didn't really mean to imply I was really expecting a transitive improvement on the base paths. Overall, I am rather conservative with my Stealing Preferences. I'm not big on trying to get a ton of steals. I've had a few guys that have big season totals, but I agree that I'd much rather have less Caught Steals if possible. I know a lot of experts on this site say they try to get 80% success, but I am generally happy with 66% or better. I'm more than likely too aggressive in some situations, but I'll go for it if the individual game situation calls for it (i.e. close games or getting into scoring position with less than 2 outs).

At first I thought the previous career leader. Gardner, had a better SB/CS ratio than Pierce but it looks like I misremembered that. Of course, Pierce's 23 CS is worse than Gardner's worst single season total. Regardless, I don't expect 24 steals out of Pierce this season, but I definitely will not have him running enough to rack up 23 CS this season. I'm hoping for more like 10/5 for this season out of Pierce.

I value SB/CS ratio as a hugely important evaluating tool. Tim Raines was an amazingly efficient runner. Another reason I'm really glad he finally ended up making the HOF this year.
Lyrici17

Post by Lyrici17 »

Fully agree on Tim Raines; he should have been in ages ago, in my honest opinion. My favorite stat for him though, is his BB/SO ratio (1330/966). The BB is the stat I favor over all others (if I was forced to choose just 1). Just for fun-sies, Ted William had a pretty good BB/SO as well (2021/709).

Return to “Joe Medwick League”