Upcoming changes

Admin
Site Admin

Upcoming changes

Post by Admin »

Sim Dynasty is approaching 20 years old... and so is its codebase. It might feel charming and quaint, but in reality the dated interface is frustrating, especially with so many owners using tablets and phones as their primary access method.

As we go into 2020, there are a lot of changes and upgrades planned to pull the game into the modern age. A ground-up redesign of the architecture is underway. I've been writing code 12-14 hours a day for a couple of months and the the Football beta is already running on the new platform, and I am working on bringing the front end in line with it. In addition, we are working on migrating the site to the Amazon cloud structure, which will give us more resources. We will end up with a much more interactive and responsive site.

Unfortunately, the downside is that some older browsers may be left behind. I am doing my best to have pages "break" gracefully and still allow alternate functionality, but those who are stuck on 8 year old browsers may have issues. The main problem child, as usual, is Internet Explorer, which is no longer getting updated since Edge took over. Right now we should be good back to IE 11, and I am going to try to push that to IE 9.

I am currently surveying the browser usage... I thought I could just ignore the really old browsers but once I enabled the survey, the very first browser that connected was IE 9. If I see you on an older browser, I may contact you to ask you to connect to a test page briefly.

If you are using an older browser or a less common one, I encourage you to join the football beta team. Even if you aren't interested in football, you'll get an early shot at how the interface will work, as my goal is to share as much code as possible between the two platforms. The football instant messaging and chat system is all new from the ground up so it is a good test for older browsers.

In other news, the promised early-renewal credit has not been coded yet as I have been working on these other projects, so I will be issuing those credits manually.

Thank you all for joining Sim Dynasty in the new decade to come!
To help us serve you better, please use the support system for all questions or problems. PMs should NEVER be used. The Support system is always read before PMs.
PizzaMan8

Re: Upcoming changes

Post by PizzaMan8 »

Thanks for the update, it's nice to know that there's some progress going on behind the scenes

[quote=Admin post_id=65604 time=1577606009 user_id=2]

In other news, the promised early-renewal credit has not been coded yet as I have been working on these other projects, so I will be issuing those credits manually.

[/quote]

Do you want us to fill out a ticket or something to let you know, or will you just be going through each profile or something?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

PizzaMan8 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:50 am Thanks for the update, it's nice to know that there's some progress going on behind the scenes
Admin wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:53 am
Do you want us to fill out a ticket or something to let you know, or will you just be going through each profile or something?
No, I'm going to write a script that will do it all at once.

Chris
To help us serve you better, please use the support system for all questions or problems. PMs should NEVER be used. The Support system is always read before PMs.
VladimirTrump

Post by VladimirTrump »

Sounds good to me. Thanks
phen0m

Post by phen0m »

I cant remove players from the trade block after the recent changes
bpearly69

Post by bpearly69 »

Whats the ISO stat on player cards now?
Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 »

[quote=bpearly69 post_id=69109 time=1580473538 user_id=320]
Whats the ISO stat on player cards now?
[/quote]

Isolated power. The formula with which I am most familiar is slugging % minus batting average. Without context and comparing it to other players it is kind of a fluffy statistic.

OPS+ would have been way cooler.
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

As ptech wrote in one of my leagues, ISO is really most useful for younger players in judging their future potential. But ISO and OPS you can get with just a little mental math that's currently on the card.

Personally, I'm looking forward to FIP.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

[quote=ballmark post_id=69119 time=1580482669 user_id=124]
As ptech wrote in one of my leagues, ISO is really most useful for younger players in judging their future potential.
[/quote]

How so?
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

[quote=ballmark post_id=69119 time=1580482669 user_id=124]
As ptech wrote in one of my leagues, ISO is really most useful for younger players in judging their future potential.
[/quote]

How so?

Return to “News & Announcements”