Outages

Admin
Site Admin

Outages

Post by Admin »

We have had several outages in the past few days. Here is what seems to be happening:

The new forums run in a virtual server on Amazon. The game has a link to the forums to make sure that the owners account has been created, get the number of PMs waiting, etc.

If the forum server goes down, the game is supposed to recognize that and just move on. But the forum isn't truly going down, it's just stops but it doesn't "crash" enough for our automated systems to bring it back up or for the game to move on. And the forum has gone down several times this week. That is a huge annoyance for everyone but good from the standpoint of it's given me enough data to see some of what is going on.

So there are two sides of this issue that we need to work on: what is making the forum go down, and making sure the game stays up when the forum is down.

Thank you for your patience as we work through this issue.

Chris
To help us serve you better, please use the support system for all questions or problems. PMs should NEVER be used. The Support system is always read before PMs.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Outages

Post by Admin »

I've also fixed the issue that was making people get approval when replying to posts in the News forum.

Chris
To help us serve you better, please use the support system for all questions or problems. PMs should NEVER be used. The Support system is always read before PMs.
Admin
Site Admin

Outages Update

Post by Admin »

We are still having outages related to the forum either being slow or down when the system tries to retrieve your PM count or otherwise interact with the forum.

I have made a number of changes today to make things a little more bulletproof. I am using a different method to verify that the forum is up, and putting more checks for it in the code.

If you see a banner that the forum is down, and it doesn't go away after 10 minutes (it checks every 5 if it already knows it was down), please let me know (although I should have been automatically notified by then, the automatic notifications don't always detect it). Also, if you see this banner, you know that was a time when the site would have been down and that the new code is protecting things properly.

If you run into any problems, please let me know.

Chris

Return to “News & Announcements”