Baseball changes in progress

Admin
Site Admin

Baseball changes in progress

Post by Admin »

Updates to the baseball sim are currently in testing. They include:

- Steals of home have been fixed, so they may actually occur now. (They actually could happen before but due to a bug it was a 1 in 6 billion chance.)
- Steals of home will apply the "Catcher arm" rating to Pitcher arm now as the catcher's arm is not relevant here.
- Sacrifice bunt logic has been refined based on new research. As a result, double plays will happen less often (they will be attempted the same number of times but some will fail), and you'll see different double play combinations, including trying to get the lead runner if possible when first and second are occupied.
- Sacrifice bunts now appear line by line in Dynasty Vision so you have a moment of not knowing if it succeeded or not. This will likely be implemented on non-bunt double plays when the update is released.
- Triple plays may be available. (I am still analyzing game results, but I'm tracking places where a triple play could happen. I hope to have this ready by the update.)
- A link to revert a player to his original name is now available on the player card. If you inherit a player with a silly name, you can revert him to his ABE-generated name even if the name change rules would not normally let you change his name. (This won't work if the new name happened prior to a merge; it'll change it to the earliest name of that incarnation of the player.)

Some other small changes may make it into this update.

Please take a moment to review your Steal Home strategy settings. i know some people had them all set to ultra aggressive to see if a steal of home could happen; this could result in unwanted steal attempts now.

If you have a beta team and haven't been checking it because there was nothing new to check, feel free to check in. You can also follow the discussions (and give your input) even if you aren't on the Beta team. Right now the discussion is in the 24 Team League forum at viewforum.php?f=33 .

Chris
To help us serve you better, please use the support system for all questions or problems. PMs should NEVER be used. The Support system is always read before PMs.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Baseball changes in progress

Post by Admin »

More about steals of home (to help you make your decisions):

- Under ideal situations (fast runner, aggressive settings, poor pitcher arm, 2 outs) the runner will go between 1.5-2.0% of the time. This should lead to about 0 to 2 attempts per season for the entire league.

- The chance of success increases based on the number of outs. Under ideal situations with very fast runners, the chance of success with 2 outs is around 30-34%, although I've seen it as high as 40% once. With 0 or 1 outs, success rates are below 25% and not particularly recommended.

Chris
To help us serve you better, please use the support system for all questions or problems. PMs should NEVER be used. The Support system is always read before PMs.
redcped

Post by redcped »

It seems to me that since the days of Jackie Robinson, pretty much all the steals of home occur as part of delayed double steals. I wonder if you might want to look into increasing the chances of success with an aggressive runner on 1st, as that would prompt plays at second that involve throws down and lead the runner on 3rd to break for the plate.
Maze

Post by Maze »

Today, I've noticed whenever the cursor is hovered over the player's card (for all leagues), the player's picture displays a Sim Dynasty hat and not the team hat or logo. Not sure if it's temp or not …

Maze
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

Last night I kept getting a 505 error the first time I hovered over a player name. The second time it brought up the player card. Same thing when I clicked to bring up the player card. 505 error but a refresh brought it right up.

Weird. Annoying. But not report-worthy.
Roaddog

Post by Roaddog »

A new problem came up today regarding players designated for assignment. When I try to open their player card, I get this:

Error: Illegal operation on empty result set.

It only happens for players designated, and not all of them even. Some open up normally.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

It's definitely report worthy.

We've had some issues that I've had to code around; I've been in front of my computer 39 of the last 48 hours (well, Monday and Tuesday). Of course when code is written quickly, errors creep in. In this case the code to detect a forum failure created a conflict with the player card, and in correcting it I have an error in the retired player section.

I'm working on that now, hoping to have it back online within the hour.

Chris
nuzzy62

Post by nuzzy62 »

I'm glad there is a baseball update happening. Appreciate this effort.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I'm also making some changes to the underpinnings of the site, so things may look different too, especially on mobile.

Every time we have the slightest design change, there's always 5-10 percent of the users that hate it. So we have allowed people to keep "old" versions of things. We won't be able to do that anymore because the new pages will be fundamentally different behind the scenes. However, if it's things like fonts, font sizes, colors, etc., I might be able to give you options for those.

Chris
Lyrici17

Post by Lyrici17 »

i just have to say, I am very unhappy with the revert to original name feature. Particularly, that it gets around the typical name-changing rules. Watching perennial all-stars/potential HOFers reverted to their original names after long careers is very disappointing (especially when the names aren't even silly).

Just my opinion though!!

Return to “News & Announcements”