Stan Grampp

Discussions for the Speaker Wilson League.
KuwentongPato

Stan Grampp

Post by KuwentongPato »

Although it's generally a good gauge, I have found occasional exceptions that show that overall rating does not always define a player. Before the old Willie Davis League merged, I once had a B rated player as an all star starter. Sometimes when rebuilding a team, it's kind of fun to discover these hidden gems and all of the discussion about player trade value has brought this player's season (the last three actually) to my attention. Grampp was recently 3rd in all star balloting for left fielders before cooling off this past week-

http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=13158336
KennyEngland

Re: Stan Grampp

Post by KennyEngland »

I wouldn’t have thought that a guy with such low contact numbers could hit that many home runs.
And few errors for a poor arm.
His power grades must be deep.
I gotta guy in the minors that might be like this
Kenny England
President and GM of middling SimDynasty and Strat-O-Matic 1969 baseball clubs
Michael1

Post by Michael1 »

At age 22 with those hideous contact ratings I would have sent him to the bottom of the draft. I don't remember him in the draft. Anyway enjoy Dave Kingman and good luck going forward.
KuwentongPato

Post by KuwentongPato »

Good point and I usually avoid these types of players myself and go for higher contact percentages. I only picked up the player on waivers as a curiosity because I was desperate for mentors when I took on the team three seasons ago. I'm thinking Rob Deer but I'll take the Dave Kingman comparison.
KennyEngland

Post by KennyEngland »

Yes Robb Deer, Kingman, Gorman Thomas, Steve Balboni... Dave Henderson
Kenny England
Jonathan8

Post by Jonathan8 »

Yeah. I waived Grampp. It is fun finding gems like Gramp. Players like him are part of what makes SD entertaining.
Good luck with him. Your team is doing a turbo-rebuild. It would be cool to see Gramp win a ring.
Gardy101

Post by Gardy101 »

http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=13468980

Another hidden gem type of guy - Jim Snell of the Florida Tropics. It's really awesome to see a 4th-rounder develop like this, even if I'll likely be facing him for years.
Rutgers92

Post by Rutgers92 »

Poor Stan Grampp- two thirty home-run, 100 RBI seasons, kicked to the curb on the waiver wire.
KennyEngland

Post by KennyEngland »

It’s a shame. He would be a great mentor on a rebuilding team.
Kenny England
KuwentongPato

Post by KuwentongPato »

Grampp had an extremely good three year period of production in terms of value, but was going to end up on the bench permanently with my top prospects starting to hit the majors. This type of player is not normally very productive off the bench and I chose to waive Grampp in case another owner wants to give an opportunity and overlook the overall B minus rating.

Return to “Speaker Wilson League”