Question on playing "out of position"

Discussions for the Curly Lambeau Football League.

Moderators: cubfan, Youthamizum

docstop

Question on playing "out of position"

Post by docstop »

Frank Lansford is listed as a guard. But he is listed as B+ both as a guard and a tackle. So this last season I played him at tackle. Does his execution suffer as a result of this? Is he "playing out of position" even though he is ranked the same at tackle as at guard? Do I have to train his as a tackle?

I have another guy in another league who is listed as a linebacker, but I played him at defensive end where he was ranked equally (B+). Then, as the season progressed, he improved in his linebacker rating to A-, but not at defensive end. Should I be training him as a defensive end on the field?
HumYai

Re: Question on playing "out of position"

Post by HumYai »

Although each player has an assigned position, any player can play in any position. However, this comes at a penalty, both in a player's abilities not likely being suited to the alternate position and in the form of severely reduced Execution (75% lower) while playing at the alternate position. Offensive linemen can play other positions on the offensive line with a reduced execution penalty (50% lower). and wide receivers can play at tight end and vice versa at only a 25% Execution penalty. The Player Card for each player shows the player's rating at each position; this rating takes into account the Execution penalty.
docstop

Post by docstop »

Yes. I read that as well.
It still doesn't answer my question.
So, if you were me, would you be playing Lansford at tackle?
HumYai

Post by HumYai »

I do not see that it makes one bit of difference - the post said the exe value on the card is already factored into the position change.

I would train him in whatever position I am playing him in.

You could experiment and play him at both while keeping track of improvements to see if he improves at one spot better than the other. I am assuming they are the same, but you could check it out.

gotta luv working from home: I just looked at a CT with a R ovarian tumor so large it was pushing up the liver. No wonder the poor girl's complaint was uncomfortable bloating.
docstop

Post by docstop »

I actually did play him at guard his first year and at tackle his second year. (Although I did not train him as a tackle).
He had slightly better improvement his first year as a guard.
lancereisen

Post by lancereisen »

Chris told us long ago that OLmen were "basically interchangeable:.
docstop

Post by docstop »

What about on defense? Could I successfully play a linebacker at defensive end or a strong safety at linebacker as long as they are rated the same?
HumYai

Post by HumYai »

I still think it covered by the player card. IF a player is a B+ in more than one position, then he will play B+ at whichever one you chose. Also, I do believe interchangeable does not include training; it is my opinion that a player should be trained in the position you are using him.

Return to “Curly Lambeau Football League”