New Jersey

Discussions for the Curly Lambeau Football League.

Moderators: cubfan, Youthamizum

cubfan

New Jersey

Post by cubfan »

In the interests of fairness and transparency, I wanted to share somethings with the league. Since the New Jersey owner has not been active for almost one month, I went ahead and cleaned up the roster and made a few trades, with the purpose of keeping the team competitive until the current owner comes back or a replacement owner is found. Thanks to all the owners who have shared their thoughts with me on this. Once the actual season begins, I will be making zero adjustments to this team with the sole exception being the case of extended injuries. Good luck to everyone in the upcoming season!
Ironmen

Re: New Jersey

Post by Ironmen »

A gigantic thank you to cubfan for going above and beyond at working the NJ roster into sensible shape.
It's hard enough to manage your own team, without having to babysit another that gains you nothing.
All Lambeau owners should be grateful for his extra effort.
Kudos to the new Lambeau League commissioner.
Now, if he only could get some kind of help and answers from Admin, who is treating SIM Football like it's non-existent.
He does have time for SIM Baseball, however.
HumYai

Post by HumYai »

How is ANY changes to another team made by a commissioner who owns a team himself, not a conflict of interest and an abuse of power?

It does not matter who or how much integrity the commissioner is or has.

being transparent is not enough to do this in season. I support changes in the preseason but even that is not perfect. It was decided Jersey would trade...is it really transparent to make that decision, do it, and then later state is is being done? How to hell, in that scenario can it be done without affecting teams the commish is competing with once the season starts?

If the unowned team has injuries, that is a matter of chance. Any commissioner, transparent or not, making changes to an unowned team once the season starts is opening a huge can of worms: If you honestly forget to fix an injury before you compete against an unowned team...what have you opened yourself for? Do I have a valid complaint if you decide there are not enough injuries to fix it before my rivalry plays NJ but one more injury happens and you set an injury free team against me the next week?

this league has already had one or more owners screaming conspiring theories in cheating by Admins server, now you want to give these people a human element of a fellow owner?

The preseason is the place to make sure a team keeps its best players; thus, the team has a better chance of resale. Once the season begins any changes affects many teams in the league one way or another. The only excuse that can be made to make in-season changes is trying to rule over fairness...how can fairness be achieved when as many as 16 owners may judge it differently? What happens concerning those owners who constantly send you U2U messages that a fix needs to be done...do they have a sway in how it will be done?
cubfan

Post by cubfan »

HumYai, you make some powerful arguments...the whole reason I initially got involved in this was in response to the situation you described. I, as many others were, was concerned with the changes made to New Jersey's roster mid-season with no explanation given.....Questions were raised and when no one came forward to take credit, it just led to more frustration and apprehension about what else this mysterious person might do. This led me to bring the question to admin and resulted in him slotting me as commissioner. I can't repair or make up for past mistakes. What I can do is honestly make changes in the best interests of the league and affected teams. I think the moves I made for this team were needed and the four trades I made were fair ones. Not everyone may agree.
Trust must begin somewhere....you are an active, passionate owner with an excellent knowledge of the game..I will listen to the input of any and all owners, but someone must make the decisions. All that being said, I agree with you and no changes will be made by me to any team's roster once the season begins.
ptech

Post by ptech »

I'm a commish on the baseball side and we have the same "powers". As a general rule all I do i clean up rosters, bring them into compliance, and play the waiver wire. I'll usually step in and fix the DL/lineups 3-4 times a season and if the team is ownerless through an OS, i'll set draft preferences. I do this to maintain some level of competitive balance in the league. No one is served by having a terrible, unowned, team in their league. Especially when you consider tie breakers.

All this said, I did the trading thing once, and it blew up in my face. I'd recommend sticking to the basics and try to run teams with the most neutral stance possible. Largely, I aim to have these teams prospect filled, which is usually attractive to potential owners,and competitive enough to not be a guaranteed win on anyone's schedule.
HumYai

Post by HumYai »

I do not object to any preseason moves and I can live with any decision that I may not totally agree with...agreed that is the decision of the commish.

I was not sure preseason trades were a great idea, but it did not stop me from making one.

The bottom line of preseason movement should be to keep the best players on an unowned team so they don't end up on the wire leaving the team with only old talent. IT SHOULD NEVER BE FOR COMPETiTIVE REASONS. Competitively, one owner should run one team, no matter what status he has.

Preseason moves fall into moves that give the team a better resale value. In season moves are competitive and should be done ONLY by the owner of the team once it is sold.

I am not suggesting you have done anything wrong Cubfan...just making points
ptech

Post by ptech »

Your interpretation of the commissioners role seems to be a very narrow one. I’d suggest that on the baseball side, you’d have a stronger argument, considering that the chaperone mechanism is in place.

But on the FB side, and with the definitions being so nebulous...

“Premium Leagues have a Commish that handles departing owners. You can find out who your Commish is on the League Information page. Send your Commish a U2U asking him or her to post your team for sale. You will remain in control of your team until it is sold. IMPORTANT: You MUST cancel your PayPal subscription to prevent unwanted payments. If you do not cancel your subscription and the team is sold, and additional payments arriving from PayPal will be added to your Sim Dynasty account balance.”

...it seems to me that the commissioner should be given some latitude as to how to keep the league healthy and how to get teams sold. If Cubfan (or anyone) oversteps, sadly the only real recourse is to get admin involved. Which means the commish should be transparent, which he has been.

And I’m not tying to be too argumentative here, but there is a substantial difference between “competitive” and “comptetative balance”. I’m only suggesting that the onwerless team shouldn’t be set up to go 0-16. Some basic roster maintenance is required, if nothing else, a clean roster makes a team more attractive to potential buyers.

And trust me, I’m not saying that in season trades are ok. I’m just suggesting that if the unowned team has zero healthy players at a position, the commish should rightfull be able to step in, place a player on IR and sign a player to fill the empty spot. I’m not talking about week to week, game to game strategy and management. I’m talking about stepping in to fix a team should it become broken.
HumYai

Post by HumYai »

ptech wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:02 pm Your interpretation of the commissioners role seems to be a very narrow one. I’d suggest that on the baseball side, you’d have a stronger argument, considering that the chaperone mechanism is in place.

But on the FB side, and with the definitions being so nebulous...

“Premium Leagues have a Commish that handles departing owners. You can find out who your Commish is on the League Information page. Send your Commish a U2U asking him or her to post your team for sale. You will remain in control of your team until it is sold. IMPORTANT: You MUST cancel your PayPal subscription to prevent unwanted payments. If you do not cancel your subscription and the team is sold, and additional payments arriving from PayPal will be added to your Sim Dynasty account balance.”

...it seems to me that the commissioner should be given some latitude as to how to keep the league healthy and how to get teams sold. If Cubfan (or anyone) oversteps, sadly the only real recourse is to get admin involved. Which means the commish should be transparent, which he has been.

And I’m not tying to be too argumentative here, but there is a substantial difference between “competitive” and “comptetative balance”. I’m only suggesting that the onwerless team shouldn’t be set up to go 0-16. Some basic roster maintenance is required, if nothing else, a clean roster makes a team more attractive to potential buyers.

And trust me, I’m not saying that in season trades are ok. I’m just suggesting that if the unowned team has zero healthy players at a position, the commish should rightfull be able to step in, place a player on IR and sign a player to fill the empty spot. I’m not talking about week to week, game to game strategy and management. I’m talking about stepping in to fix a team should it become broken.
A lot of that has nothing to do with this situation. The fact remains commish moves were being made last year without anyone knowing who it was. if you have some knowledge as to who it was that we don't, then speak up...otherwise, your suggestion to experienced players how to understand who is the commissioner is insulting.

Baseball and football are not comparable at all... baseball is a 162 game season... changes make less an effect... playing with unowned teams in the regular season in a 16 game season can cost a team a playoff spot easily. It makes no difference if an unowned team is 16 -0 or 0-16. The idea of teams being sold based on the record is absurd and why there are so many unsold teams. An 11-5 team can be raped are have old players and worth nothing the next year...teams that are resellable are due to a roster of young talent to work with. Choosing the talent to keep on an unowned team can be done in the preseason.

put any spin on it you want to...making changes in the middle of a season to a team not your own is unfair to a league with a 16 game season. That chit has gone in every other league and the track record sucks...how many teams need to be sold in other leagues. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, don't drag that junk to this league.
ptech

Post by ptech »

I had written some fairly aggressive response...but I'm deleting that.

You wanna feel insulted, when no insult was given? That's your deal.

You're taking other peoples words out of context, and making a disingenuous argument.

Have fun with this,I'm out.
Last edited by ptech on Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HumYai

Post by HumYai »

I know the concept you want is in leagues with as much as half of the teams unowned. It does not need to be implemented here... it doesn't work.

Please do not speak for Cubfan... I think he understands me well...if your points are valid. make them yourself and not assume you have followers.

Return to “Curly Lambeau Football League”