Can we discuss Tanking: what it is?

Discussions for the Curly Lambeau Football League.

Moderators: cubfan, Youthamizum

HumYai

Can we discuss Tanking: what it is?

Post by HumYai »

:D promise I will not go postal on any opinion.

We all know and I paraphrase tanking is deliberately losing.

The bigger question is what is deliberately losing? Is playing the youngest players 20-26 when 28 to 33-year-old vets on a team are better players?

if you do play younger players with less talent and the team you are playing is in a tight playoff race is that tanking?

is always going for it on 4th down tanking?

QB Tom Brady received over 65 improvement points due to starting him at RB. Points he would not have received if on my bench, yet I had a better RB Giga Watts recently traded to Las Vegas

is throwing deep on 90% of downs in an effort to develop a better QB tanking?

I am not going to start a knock hammy contest, especially when he is not here, but hammy used to accuse me of tanking every time I had a losing season. I have the most SB wins but hammy is certainly the most successful player to date in this league so does he have a point?

for the sake of argument and we agree tanking occurs, does it really make a difference? even the first pick can have question marks as exampled by me this year. If I knew the LB I took first would end up with a D in stamina, I never would have chosen him. not to mention we start 22 players, tanking for 1 player means 21 get a year older each time.

Are there official site rules on tanking? I do not remember any but that does not mean they don't exist.

who would judge tanking and how would it be punished? Should say the last 5 teams be put in a lottery for the first 5 picks? I played in a private baseball league once that had a similar scheme.
Youthamizum

Re: Can we discuss Tanking: what it is?

Post by Youthamizum »

Tanking with younger players I have no issue with. What I have issue with is tanking with bottom of the barrel waiver wire players in the lineup. Where one has C and C+ players with no Pot in the lineup (and beyond their development years)
HumYai

Post by HumYai »

Youthamizum wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:33 am Tanking with younger players I have no issue with. What I have issue with is tanking with bottom of the barrel waiver wire players in the lineup. Where one has C and C+ players with no Pot in the lineup (and beyond their development years)
I have seen exactly that in baseball. if you ever see me do it here call me out immediately, but I do not think it will be an issue. Heck, roster spots are such a premium, I wish we had more of them.
Ironmen

Post by Ironmen »

There's no rock solid way to prove tanking, unless pure garbage players are getting the majority of the playing time, as has already been pointed out.

The only advantage to tanking is to improve draft position and waiver wire priority.
No changes should be made in any way that would impact either of these.
If an owner wants to tank- fine.
In the beginning of this league, it appeared that an owner's sole goal was to get the first pick every draft year.
So what? It gained him nothing, playoff-wise, as other teams excelled instead.
An owner would eventually end up with too many $7000.00+ salaried players and would have to figure out how to get under the cap.

Hell, there's so many ways to tank... but, unless Admin wants to scrutinize set plays of an owner, and he can, it can't be proven by anybody else.
In addition, no one is qualified to be judge and jury.

It would be idiotic to change anything that would impact either the draft or waiver priority.
Leave it status quo.
This isn't the N.B.A. with they're moronic lottery system.
Anybody remember the draft that had Patrick Ewing?
Oh, yeah... those ping pong balls weren't juiced... right.
He just magically goes to the team in New York... sure.
This is supposed to simulate pro football... they have no lottery system, period.

Return to “Curly Lambeau Football League”