Sitting players before playoffs: Sensible or doesn't matter

Discussions for the Franco Harris Football League.

Moderator: max_fischer

Lebanon_Oilers

Sitting players before playoffs: Sensible or doesn't matter

Post by Lebanon_Oilers »

Gauging the thoughts of fellow owners on sitting players in advance of the playoffs:

Is it a wise move to avoid injury to a key player(s) if you've got a spot wrapped up (and to give young bench players some ICs)? Will my SIM players get rusty sitting out a couple of games? Or am I being overly cautious?
jenko5030

Re: Sitting players before playoffs: Sensible or doesn't matter

Post by jenko5030 »

I doubt there's anything in the game code that allows for 'rustiness' but who knows.
Cueball899

Post by Cueball899 »

Lebanon_Oilers wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:46 pm Gauging the thoughts of fellow owners on sitting players in advance of the playoffs:

Is it a wise move to avoid injury to a key player(s) if you've got a spot wrapped up (and to give young bench players some ICs)? Will my SIM players get rusty sitting out a couple of games? Or am I being overly cautious?
What most have done in sorta of unspoken agreement is you play everyone to win. Because of the meaning games could have with teams getting in the playoffs. If two teams are competing for the same spot and both have to win and one team plays and owner that benches all his starters then it's unfair to the other owner. But it was unspoken and it is your team and if want to bench players to save for the playoffs then go for it. I only think it keeps them from getting injured and that is all.

I personally have never benched any starter. In the old forum there was some post about it and the unspoken thing, not really an agreement just something a few owners agree on and others followed. I'll try and dig it up later when I get back or tomorrow.
JoeyMac08

Post by JoeyMac08 »

I don’t care about other teams. Rest key players when possible. There is no penalty or rustiness for sitting out. You need to do what’s best to put your team in a winning situation. How would you feel if your QB gets hurt in a meaningless game? Sit them!
Cueball899

Post by Cueball899 »

The goal is for you to win the Sim Bowl. If you feel that resting your players so they don't get injured then go for it. The only thing it does is prevent injuries and a injury late in season sucks. When the post season starts every player will be at 100% condition no matter what their condition was at the end of week 17.

It would be cool if they did get rusty or if the game had a morale or momentum effect to it and a loss in week 17 might hurt the team morale, but it doesn't. So the option of playing or sitting starters had more of an effect on how the team would do in the playoffs.

Do what you think is best for your team to win the Sim Bowl.
jgarcia8380

Post by jgarcia8380 »

I rest players as soon as I think the games don't matter. If I can get home field advantage then I'll play my best players. If my playoff seed is locked up then I'm resting players. Even when I face inactive teams, I rest players. Don't want to have players injured come playoff time
Lebanon_Oilers

Post by Lebanon_Oilers »

Thanks for the input. I decided to play the full squad today against Miami.

Two reasons: A.) If I lost my remaining three games and British Columbia wins their remaining three, I lose the first-round bye. B.) Miami is a potential playoff opponent team, so this game gives me an indication of how I stand up against a quality opponent and see what I can learn and potentially adjust if there is a playoff rematch.

If I win against Miami, I probably will rest key players the against Birmingham for sure. British Columbia, though, would be another potential playoff opponent, so I'm not sure about Week 17.

Return to “Franco Harris Football League”