VOTE: What to do with dead teams?

Discussions for the Franco Harris Football League.

Moderator: max_fischer

Dead teams: What to do?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:37 pm

Minimum of active management
73%
Hands off let 'em rot
27%
Don't care
No votes

Total votes: 15

max_fischer

VOTE: What to do with dead teams?

Post by max_fischer »

Should the Commish do a minimum of active management with dead teams (NO trades, but activating good players and keeping critical positions filled) to keep them out of the top draft slots, or should the Commish keep hands off entirely so these teams don't beat any human teams?
luminafire

Re: VOTE: What to do with dead teams?

Post by luminafire »

I think you're damned if you do or don't but I'd rather lose to a vacant CPU team that just had the better roster that day than see the best players every draft go to waste because the team has no QB selected! Automatically winning against rotting unmanaged teams is just as crappy if not more than loosing to an auto piloted team that at least has a legit roster

Houston has been inactive since September. I'd love the league to be full but we have to be realistic at this point. If I automatically won against the CPU on Madden season mode I'd throw the game in the trash
#3 Eric "The Red" Elric
#7 Nolan Creed
#10 Hideki Nakamura
#1 John Walker
#13 Francis Locke*
#3 Emory Elric*
#4 Jean-Luc Picard*
#5 Lynn Nydall
#12 Kyle Vesuvius*
#19 Maximilian Algernon
#6 Jim Ryan*

42x DC
10x CC
5x SB (*)
4x COTY
Royals85

Post by Royals85 »

Commissioner should put there picks at the bottom of each round. It keeps them viable for sale and doesn't honor their autopilot status. But Draft is upcoming so it should get done now
arscola

Post by arscola »

One option that was left off is allowing a new owner to test out the game (for 1 season) to try to bring in more new owners. I've seen this tried before and it worked so I say try it again.
jgarcia8380

Post by jgarcia8380 »

I don't mind the dead teams, especially considering we are a 32 team league.
I think the only management necessary would be to make sure top draft picks are activated, good players not waived at roster cutdown, and the minimum positional requirements met(can't have 0 qbs)
luminafire

Post by luminafire »

I like jgarcia8380's ideas. Look at how many A- players are inactive for Las Vegas. I'd like to at least see their roster's managed and Houston to have some sort of QB.

Also please fix Saskatchewan's draft settings so they don't draft a punter every year they have three A- punters on inactives right now! Yikes.

Otherwise, if things go on the way they are no active players will ever get a chance at the #1 draft pick. If Houston were an active team with the roster they have playing an RB as QB we'd all say they were tanking and would demand some sort of action. Kansas City kind of got screwed out of the first overall pick.
#3 Eric "The Red" Elric
#7 Nolan Creed
#10 Hideki Nakamura
#1 John Walker
#13 Francis Locke*
#3 Emory Elric*
#4 Jean-Luc Picard*
#5 Lynn Nydall
#12 Kyle Vesuvius*
#19 Maximilian Algernon
#6 Jim Ryan*

42x DC
10x CC
5x SB (*)
4x COTY
Lebanon_Oilers

Post by Lebanon_Oilers »

Agree with Lumina on draft settings - if that's something under your control - to minimize teams having a half dozen punters sitting on their bench. I'm sure it's a pain to do that, but I'm willing to chime in suggestions on a dead team's draft settings based on their roster (i.e. - if they've got 7 guards, and 8 safeties, but 1 DE and 2 WR, set the settings for them to make sure they take no guards or safeties and maybe only DE and WR in the first two rounds).
ambush

Post by ambush »

I agree with Royals85 with his post... "Commissioner should put there picks at the bottom of each round. It keeps them viable for sale and doesn't honor their autopilot status. But Draft is upcoming so it should get done now".

Everyone's input looks viable and makes sense, I guess a league vote might be the answer(?). Just have to understand the voting and possible repercussions....

Good league and needs to catch a break with finding the new owner(s) for the vacant spot(s).
luminafire

Post by luminafire »

Just to stress the issue: here we are again with another abandoned team (Phoenix) that has player assignments in such a mess they're en route to gain the #1 overall pick only for that player to likely go on inactives. They have two perfectly good QBs but a B- one is assigned to start, they've got a great linebacker on inactives along with other good players, a defensive end playing right tackle...

If moving draft picks is too controversial I understand but I think some minimal management of these teams' rosters is plainly necessary. This is the third or fourth year in a row the #1 pick has gone to a team that was inactive that season. Luckily we filled Houston last season by the time the draft came around but the issue rears its head again this season with Phoenix. Please do something.
#3 Eric "The Red" Elric
#7 Nolan Creed
#10 Hideki Nakamura
#1 John Walker
#13 Francis Locke*
#3 Emory Elric*
#4 Jean-Luc Picard*
#5 Lynn Nydall
#12 Kyle Vesuvius*
#19 Maximilian Algernon
#6 Jim Ryan*

42x DC