Contraction

Discussions for the Franco Harris Football League.

Moderator: max_fischer

Cueball899

Contraction

Post by Cueball899 »

All about contraction
Unread post by Admin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:27 am

Some leagues have had teams open for some time. On the baseball side, we merge leagues together, which requires a restart of the league, because those leagues were never designed to change sizes. Football leagues, however, were designed to expand or contract as needed.

The contraction code is in testing on Beta now; the first contraction has been successful. Here's how contraction will work:

- In week 1 of the season, the game will look at the replacement list. Any teams that have been on the replacement list more than 30 days are selected as candidates for contraction.
- Once the game knows how many teams it can remove, it looks at the list of available league sizes (8, 12, 16, 20, 24, and 32 teams) and determines the smallest league that will fit the remaining teams. The teams that have been on the replacement list longest will be marked for contraction.
- The best players on the teams that are to be removed from the league will be added to a Dispersal Draft. The number of rounds will be 1 to 6, depending on the number of teams leaving. You will rank the dispersal draft like a college draft.
- At the offseason, the teams that are contracting will be removed from the league. Players on those teams that aren't in the Dispersal Draft pool will retire. The remaining teams will be realigned; the new league size may have a different number of divisions.
- When the college draft would run, the Dispersal Draft will run. It runs like the college draft except you can't limit the number of each position you take or limit the rounds you draft them in. (This isn't really necessary as the dispersal draft will be full of pretty solid players,)
- Players on the Dispersal Draft list who were not drafted will retire.
-The next day, the college draft will run at its regular time.

This should make all the leagues more competitive.

IMPORTANT: Commishes, if you do NOT want your league to contract, let me know and I will mark it to not contract.

Chris
Cueball899

Re: Contraction

Post by Cueball899 »

Commish are you going to post a vote on this issue.
shbo2

Post by shbo2 »

I wouldn’t worry too much about contraction. For a 32 team league to automatically contract we’d have to have 8 or more teams posted on the for sale page longer than a month. The next lowest league size the schedule mechanism allows is 24 teams.

On a purely hypothetical situation where we do have that many teams up for adoption that long I’m pretty sure the commish could just take a team or 2 off the for sale list for a bit to reset the 30 day clock anyway.
max_fischer

Post by max_fischer »

shbo2 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:12 am I wouldn’t worry too much about contraction. For a 32 team league to automatically contract we’d have to have 8 or more teams posted on the for sale page longer than a month. The next lowest league size the schedule mechanism allows is 24 teams.

On a purely hypothetical situation where we do have that many teams up for adoption that long I’m pretty sure the commish could just take a team or 2 off the for sale list for a bit to reset the 30 day clock anyway.
I'm thinking the same thing shbo. We should be OK unless disaster strikes and a bunch of people leave the league. Right now this is the best league on the site.

Return to “Franco Harris Football League”