Hamiltonian Report

Discussions for the Bob Horner League.

Moderator: Hamilton2

Hamilton2

Hamiltonian Report

Post by Hamilton2 »

So ... I didn't post anything last season because I didn't want to jinx my team; but it didn't matter evidentally, as ABE intended to have us lose in spectacular fashion to another of his frequent victims (congrats again, TwoRoosters). Anyway ... this Texas squad is an unusual beast. We have a lot more homegrown talent than I typically have thank to the longest rebuild that I have endured in my time in this league.

Also, we use platooning in a way more extreme way than any other semi-competitive team in the league. Last season we had 0 hitters reach 600 at bats. In contrast, our World Series opponent had 2. Granted, that difference doesn't seem very extreme. However, when you consider that it is 2 of 8 players, that's 25% of his lineup. 50% of our lineup was set up as an intentional platoon with different starters vs. LHP and RHP (the catcher and all 3 OF spots). This season, we actually have 5 platoon slots, as I've split up my middle IF as well to make room for Ed Shocker. Glancing through the rest of the AL, there are a few other teams with 3 platoon spots. It is exceedingly rare for a team to go to 4, and especially 5, such intentional lineup choices.

Where did it leave me last year? Only scoring 926 runs and earning a world series berth. That's an average of 5.72 runs per game and was nearly a full run higher than 2nd place last season. We led the league in SLG and in HR's while getting 16 different players into the lineup with over 100 at-bats.

I was naive enough to believe that we could repeat that success this year. 36 games in, we are only averaging 5.05 runs per game (182 runs). Significantly behind Brooklyn and lumped in with half of the NL for second place. We sit at 18-18 and a highly frustrating .500 performance it has been. Our pitching is plugging away at a 3.39 ERA, and our fielding is top 5 in fielding % and +/-. Our pythagorean expected winning % is .669, in other words, we should be 24-12 and we sit here at 18-18.

Will it turn around? Should I rearrange my lineup yet again? Am I just cursed? Thanks for letting me vent ...
spiderrtp

Re: Hamiltonian Report

Post by spiderrtp »

I don't know your stats from last year, but the obvious thing that I see in team stats for the Hamiltonians is the complete lack of walks and overabundance of strikeouts. The free passes come home to roost as often, if not more in the sim than in real life. I wonder if that is leading to a decline in overall runs scored...again, not seeing last years stats makes that a dart randomly on a dartboard...
Hamilton2

Re: Hamiltonian Report

Post by Hamilton2 »

Our team OBP has fallen from .336 to .317 this season. So ... 19 baserunners per thousand at bats. And through 48 games we have 1636 AB's. Roughly 30 more "outs" and fewer baserunners in 48 games. That would make a huge difference, apparently close to 3/4 of a run per game.

Return to “Bob Horner League”