Strat-o-Matic Baseball

Discussions for the Bob Horner League.

Moderator: Hamilton2

Hamilton2

Strat-o-Matic Baseball

Post by Hamilton2 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:16 pm

Hey guys! I'm absolutely dedicated and committed to simD, but not all of my friends will take the opportunity to play here. So I've expanded a bit and started playing strat-o-matic baseball online at 365.strat-o-matic.com.

I'm working on putting together a live draft league with the player set from the 80's. If anyone is interested in joining, please let me know and either respond to this thread or send me a PM.

There are some other simD folks from days past in the strato league (some from the old OGL like tylerroush and max_fischer and happy) and others like Barterer as well.

I have a private facebook group for smack talk and the like related to that league. So if you join, I'll friend you on Facebook as well and invite you to that group.

Let me know!

dirtdevil

Re: Strat-o-Matic Baseball

Post by dirtdevil » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:39 pm

What’s the cost? Has happy.....matured any?

Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:30 pm

It is $20 for the initial 2 team credits for a new user (usually it is $20 per season).

Happy is exactly as wonderful as you remember.

The Facebook group thing is ... difficult? It doesn't work like a message board would and it is a pain in the @$$ to figure out who is which team because your facebook name and your strato name are different.

There is a strato message board system, but honestly, I haven't bothered with that at all. This is just a temporary thing to entertain while there are no live sports because I want my baseball fix!

dirtdevil

Post by dirtdevil » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:51 pm

I’d probably give it a whirl. I signed up fir a trial team to check it out because I’ve never played Strat o Matic in my life.

Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:14 pm

The concept is really cool. It is an old dice baseball board game concept. Hitter vs. Pitcher. Each player has 3 columns of outcomes available on their card. The hitter cards are columns 1, 2, and 3; pitcher cards are 4, 5, and 6. You roll 3 dice. One red, two white. The red die determines the column and the sum of the white dice determines the row.

1898 Willie Keeler vs. 1965 Don Drysdale; for example, you roll a 3-8. Drysdale is a RHP, so you look at Keeler's card vs. RHP, column 3, row 8, the result is a SINGLE**, which means that it is a hit and any base runners advance 2 bases.

There are special adjustments, for example, you roll a 4-11 instead of a 3-8. This is going to send you to Drysdale's card, column 4, row 11 vs. Left-Handed hitters. The result there is a split result HR 1-14, Fly(RF)B 15-20. To decide the split, you roll a 20-sided die and that number determines the outcome.

Fielding can come into play if it is an outcome with an (X) next to the position. The player at that position has a defensive rating and more dice are rolled and fielding charts consulted for answers.

There is base running and base stealing components as well.

I honestly barely know the basics, and it was a heck of a fun board game to play in-person. The online simulation just spits out boxscore results with 3 game series simulated between 10 and 12 Eastern time every day. You don't get results between games; only between series, so adjustments are made 1 day at a time, 1 series at a time, 3 games at a time.

dirtdevil

Post by dirtdevil » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:58 pm

I’ll give it a shot. The walk down 80s memory lane will be worth the $20, even I get the doors blown off me. The live draft might be a challenge with 2 girls under 10, but I’ll do my best.

Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:03 am

dirtdevil wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:58 pm
I’ll give it a shot. The walk down 80s memory lane will be worth the $20, even I get the doors blown off me. The live draft might be a challenge with 2 girls under 10, but I’ll do my best.
I'm going to shoot for a late draft, so kids are in bed. I have 7 between 2 and 10, remember! :)

I'll PM the password to you.

To join the league, Start a New Team, select the back to the 80's player set, Live Draft, DH on, 80M cap, and then select the "Blaschke's Best Strato League (80's)" as the league to join whenever it lets you get that far.

Welcome aboard!

Return to “Bob Horner League”