Cleveland selling two young pitchers.

Discussions for the Bob Horner League.

Moderator: Hamilton2

Johngarm70u

Re: Cleveland selling two young pitchers.

Post by Johngarm70u »

tworoosters wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:54 pm
Johngarm70u wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:12 pm I was referencing you saying he likely would reach A+, A-,
A- overall. Was just saying he is already there. Most likely going to be higher at age 24 and still improving this year. Owners did say that he was far worse than the first player I traded. One even said he was a mediocre talent at best. My question is why? I don't get the lower evaluations. I guess there is favoritism in the argument. I could have at the time say he was just a couple improves away from that but I decided not to since I was still in trade negotiations and was afraid of being wrong in calculating it. The overall theory I got was I traded way too little for Huntzinger. Wanted way to much for Williams. My point. If that is the way player evaluations go in this league as far as value or is it just a ploy for a better trade? I guess I will find out when the situation is reversed and I try to trade for a similar player.
So Williams was B+/B+ last year, has had 2 velocity and 3 control improves to move to A-/A- at OS24. While it appears likely he makes A/A he still needs at least 6 velocity & 5 control improves to do so. Now improving off an overall A- there is still no guarantee he makes A in both skills.

I'm not sure who implied you should have received more for Hunzinger, you got 2 1/2 to 3 solid pieces for a pitcher who may, or may not, reach A overall, that doesn't seem like a poor return to me. I probably would have wanted a pitching prospect or another 1st in place of Goldsmith in the deal but that's just me.

Player valuations are a personal thing, there is no point in getting upset because your valuation doesn't match other owners, in addition owners will say lots of things to try and get a deal done that favours them. Bottom line is you make deals that you feel help your team, or don't make deals at all, but don't take the negotiations personally.
But I will take your advice to heart. Ty
dirtdevil

Post by dirtdevil »

for some reason this thread popped into my head today and i always find revisiting conversations interesting, so i checked on the two players involved. neither one has yet made it to A overall, although Huntzinger http://simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id=13273738 has had some weird IC luck in that he hasn't hit a VEL improve since he was 25 but has improved his dominant CTL skill by a full grade over that time and is at B+/A+. Williams http://simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id=13327894 is currently sitting at A-/A after his OS 30 conversions. His best season was 2146 when he pitched to a 1,38 WHIP and a 3.77 ERA over 37 starts. Huntzinger has bested that WHIP in all 8 seasons since the trade and has bettered the ERA mark in 7 of 8, on the way to three consecutive AL Cy Youngs. Williams has time to luck into a late improve or two but at this point i think it's safe to say that Huntzinger has turned out to be the better player.
Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 »

If Boston wants to send Williams to Texas to see which of these two is really the best in a nuetral environment ...
4EverGreen

Post by 4EverGreen »

Hamilton2 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:44 am If Boston wants to send Williams to Texas to see which of these two is really the best in a nuetral environment ...
Boston IS at the moment a nuetral environment!!! BTW, from my best guess Williams is 2 - 3 conversions away from A overall. I had hoped he could become a staff Ace but on a number of poor teams he has been my 2nd best starter a (albeit on some pretty anemic teams).
Johngarm70u

Post by Johngarm70u »

Johngarm70u wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:36 pm Thats fair analysis. Interesting thoughts amongst everyone. We will see how it plays out. If I was evaluating each player in the draft in this league here is what I would have come up with.

Huntzinger B, A-, A+

Williams A+, A-, A

They both have a shot at it. We will see.
I mean, I was close.

Huntzinger ended up at B+,B+,A+
Williams A+,A-,A

I should just stick with draft analysis. 🤔

Return to “Bob Horner League”