Why i made the deal

Discussions for the Bob Horner League.

Moderator: Hamilton2

tworoosters

Neidlinger for Schappert

Post by tworoosters »

8/6/2113

A trade has been completed between the Atlanta Silverbacks and the Los Angeles Miracles. The Los Angeles Miracles receive Herm Schappert from the Atlanta Silverbacks in exchange for Billy Neidlinger.

Came home today and this offer was on my desk, I thought about for a few minutes then pulled the trigger.

I am under no illusion that Schappert is going to continue to have the miracle year he has had so far this season but he's got another year after this one before declines and has been essentially a league average starter the previous three seasons. I have declines coming for Holiday, and continuing for Smith and Walker so an insurance arm might get us to renewal and in all honesty that might be the end of my tenure. Neidlinger is a young SP prospect with a good split and reasonable health who may turn into a #4/5 type so Atlanta adds to their pitching prospect pool and I get a short term boost.
spiderrtp

Re: Why i made the deal

Post by spiderrtp »

A trade has been completed between the Atlanta Silverbacks and the Los Angeles Miracles. The Los Angeles Miracles receive Herm Schappert from the Atlanta Silverbacks in exchange for Billy Neidlinger.

Looking over my team, I saw that I've got a few hitters getting ready but not enough pitching in the age range of the hitters so I went out looking. I sent a similar offer to the contenders for a pitching prospect that was a litte bit of a project, but mostly ML ready. I figured that was about the value for Schappert even with his miracle stats this year. He's a 4, or possibly a stretch at 3 for a starting pitcher and OS 33. Neidlinger gives me a control heavy split and in a good age range. Now I just need him to convert well. Hoping Atlanta can back to a contender but we'll see...
4EverGreen

Post by 4EverGreen »

Context - my team is AWFUL and 34 year old players aren't part of the long term plan. Biddle has been OTB for awhile with not even a nibble so I began actively shopping him around. He's is "in decline" so I was fully aware he would deliver minimal value but getting SOMETHING for him was better than NOTHING. Seattle expressed interest and this is where we landed (after some back and forth). Mantilla is nothing special but his improve rate is high and IF that continues he might become serviceable...and with his red letter health at least he'll be able to pile up some innings when he makes it to "The Show" (tho I suspect as a battering ram to the league's hitter). As I said, he's better than nothing but I don't have high hopes for him. We'll see...

Trade #1543095 has been completed between the Boston Pops and the Seattle Spurs. The Seattle Spurs receive Harmon "Peanut" Biddle from the Boston Pops in exchange for Freddie Mantilla.
tworoosters

Post by tworoosters »

4EverGreen wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:21 pm Context - my team is AWFUL and 34 year old players aren't part of the long term plan. Biddle has been OTB for awhile with not even a nibble so I began actively shopping him around. He's is "in decline" so I was fully aware he would deliver minimal value but getting SOMETHING for him was better than NOTHING. Seattle expressed interest and this is where we landed (after some back and forth). Mantilla is nothing special but his improve rate is high and IF that continues he might become serviceable...and with his red letter health at least he'll be able to pile up some innings when he makes it to "The Show" (tho I suspect as a battering ram to the league's hitter). As I said, he's better than nothing but I don't have high hopes for him. We'll see...

Trade #1543095 has been completed between the Boston Pops and the Seattle Spurs. The Seattle Spurs receive Harmon "Peanut" Biddle from the Boston Pops in exchange for Freddie Mantilla.
There is some irony here in that you originally drafted Mantilla and waived him on draft day :o, I will offer congrats on completing a deal without involving Los Angeles, the first one this year.
PhillyDynasty

Post by PhillyDynasty »

4EverGreen wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:21 pm Context - my team is AWFUL and 34 year old players aren't part of the long term plan. Biddle has been OTB for awhile with not even a nibble so I began actively shopping him around. He's is "in decline" so I was fully aware he would deliver minimal value but getting SOMETHING for him was better than NOTHING. Seattle expressed interest and this is where we landed (after some back and forth). Mantilla is nothing special but his improve rate is high and IF that continues he might become serviceable...and with his red letter health at least he'll be able to pile up some innings when he makes it to "The Show" (tho I suspect as a battering ram to the league's hitter). As I said, he's better than nothing but I don't have high hopes for him. We'll see...

Seattle's pitching staff got old quickly, so Biddle was an improvement for our long-shot postseason attempt to unseat CHA. Mantilla had little value to me, because I hope to not be in rebuilding mode while he is young. So, this deal worked out reasonably for both sides.
spiderrtp

Post by spiderrtp »

Trade #1544007 has been completed between the Boston Pops and the Atlanta Silverbacks. The Atlanta Silverbacks receive Dutch "Date" Cruz, Orber Thrasher, Draft Pick - 2114 Round 2 (BOS) from the Boston Pops in exchange for Draft Pick - 2114 Round 1 (ATL), Draft Pick - 2115 Round 3 (ATL).

Atlanta has a full hitting lineup (I'll let smarter people decide how good said lineup is), of hitters at OS29 and below but not enough pitchers in the same category. The trade of Schappert for Neidlinger was a start to add more almost ready/ML ready pitching. This was another move in that direction. Cruz should be ready soon (and much sooner than most normally drafted pitchers.) so I moved my first and a third for him and a good fielding OF prospect that still needs some luck to be able to hit as more than a backup (his likely ceiling) and a second pick. I think this helps me hopefully become competitive soon(ish)... it also help Boston get younger with more picks.
4EverGreen

Post by 4EverGreen »

I have too many young twenty-somethings who are to young to play now but too old to be aligned with the timing of my next competitive team. So I posted a "picks for prospects" message and have moved some of there guys for picks in this years draft (which I hope to add some valuable teens to my minor leagues).

Here's the other trade.

Trade #1543908 has been completed between the San Francisco Sea Lions and the Boston Pops. The Boston Pops receive Greg McKelvy, Draft Pick - 2114 Round 2 (SF) from the San Francisco Sea Lions in exchange for Joe Bautista.
BigMacAttack

Post by BigMacAttack »

3/25/2114

Trade #1544150 has been completed between the Atlanta Silverbacks and the Brooklyn Bushwicks. The Brooklyn Bushwicks receive Eddie Heise, Draft Pick - 2115 Round 1 (ATL) from the Atlanta Silverbacks in exchange for Logan Willoughby. http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=12720109

3/25/2114

Trade #1544301 has been completed between the Brooklyn Bushwicks and the Kansas City River Cats. The Kansas City River Cats receive Jamie Ribant from the Brooklyn Bushwicks in exchange for Wayne Bowman. http://simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id=12695234

Beginning my retooling - can't be a rebuild when you didn't build anything right :) with a couple of deals.
The first moves the SS Willoughby to Atlanta for a 1st rounder and catching prospect in Heise - Hopefully Heise can become a nice catcher to either take over for Flack behind the plate or be moved for something else and more draft picks are always good.
The second move brings in a young pitcher in Bowman who has been improving well and hopefully will become a middle rotation arm. Ribant hopefully does good things for KC - we went back and forth on this for a bit as he was reluctant to part with Bowman for Ribant given Ribant's age, but we eventually took some draft picks out of the deal and just went straight up.
tworoosters

Walter for Smith

Post by tworoosters »

3/25/2114

A trade has been completed between the Texas Hamiltonians and the Los Angeles Miracles. The Los Angeles Miracles receive Buck Walter from the Texas Hamiltonians in exchange for Eddie Smith.

A few years ago this trade might have caused some ripples but now it's just a footnote. Texas is rebuilding while we might have one more shot with this team so Texas offered up Walter to see if he could get a ring, I needed space on the roster so I moved Smith. In their primes these guys had value, Walter was one of the great players in the league with 10 AS appearances and three gold gloves while Smith was as solid a 3/4 SP as could be found, now the deal is just shuffling deck chairs.

I hope we can crawl into the post season one more time and get a lucky roll of the dice for Walter, but it's a tough climb given how good Cinci are.
Hamilton2

Re: Walter for Smith

Post by Hamilton2 »

tworoosters wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:46 pm 3/25/2114

A trade has been completed between the Texas Hamiltonians and the Los Angeles Miracles. The Los Angeles Miracles receive Buck Walter from the Texas Hamiltonians in exchange for Eddie Smith.

A few years ago this trade might have caused some ripples but now it's just a footnote. Texas is rebuilding while we might have one more shot with this team so Texas offered up Walter to see if he could get a ring, I needed space on the roster so I moved Smith. In their primes these guys had value, Walter was one of the great players in the league with 10 AS appearances and three gold gloves while Smith was as solid a 3/4 SP as could be found, now the deal is just shuffling deck chairs.

I hope we can crawl into the post season one more time and get a lucky roll of the dice for Walter, but it's a tough climb given how good Cinci are.
This is how I see it as well. Walter gets a shot at a ring and I get a position swap for mentor purposes. It isn't a big deal. Just swapping 25th guys.

Return to “Bob Horner League”