Why i made the deal

Discussions for the Bob Horner League.

Moderator: Hamilton2

spiderrtp

Re: Why i made the deal

Post by spiderrtp »

Trade #1553581 has been completed between the Atlanta Silverbacks and the Boston Pops. The Boston Pops receive Johnny Alexander, Draft Pick - 2116 Round 2 (STL) from the Atlanta Silverbacks in exchange for Mark Epstein, Draft Pick - 2116 Round 1 (BOS).

Texas acquires 3B Logan Willoughby from Atlanta for 3B Frank Morse and a 2017 2nd round draft pick.

Breaking down these 2 trades is for Atlanta to get younger... Alexander is close to blossoming onto the scene but getting the 9th pick in the draft was appealing to me. Epstein can be solid but I don't think he'll be a perennial all-star like Alexander. What I get with that 9th pick will determine how good this trade is for me.

Willoughby had little to offer Atlanta as he wasn't a great mentor and was too old for the rebuild itself. I've pedaled him to a few teams but very few have show much interest and I still couldn't get the value that I wanted for him... a lot to do with the yellow health. Morse is a poor man's Willoughby and I can spend this season rooting against Texas making the playoffs and for his 'good luck' in the lottery. Morse will head to the outfield as I'm not sure the defense will hold up at 3rd.
Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 »

3/25/2116

The Texas Hamiltonians acquire 3B/SS Archie Gardner, SP Willie Kurtz, and P Jason Wurm from Kansas City in exchange for OF Tim Dugan, RP Woody Gardener, SP Freddie Mantilla, 2B/SS Jerry Spinks, and the #4 overall pick in the 2116 draft (C K Yamauchi)

Texas completes our bid/attempt to assemble a competitive roster from the ashes of our rebuild. After a World Series loss in 2110, Texas went 67-95, 80-82, 65-97, 52-110, and 82-80 over the next 5 seasons respectively. The 110 loss season really did not set well with ownership and an aggressive attempt to trade back into the playoff picture began in earnest mid-season 2115.

Wurm will be the Opening Day starter for Texas at home against Boston in an early matchup of playoff hopefuls. Kurtz slides in behind him as the 2nd starter in our re-vamped rotation.

Gardner will be playing 3B, allowing us to slide recently acquired Willoughby over to SS and granting some depth as we use Stanley Jobson in a utility IF role this season.

I'm hoping this trade along with the others gives us a 3+ year window to compete and win a WS Championship.

The prospects will be missed. But it is what it is. Only time will tell if this thing works out as planned or all blows up in my face!
tworoosters

Milbarge and Brabender for Monroe

Post by tworoosters »

4/1/2116

A trade has been completed between the Los Angeles Miracles and the Detroit Space Goats. The Detroit Space Goats receive Austin Millbarge, Lou Brabender from the Los Angeles Miracles in exchange for Mike Monroe.

Seems like there are more sellers than buyers so I might as well buy, I couldn't get any traction trying to get younger so I've gone for older. We took some big hits in the pitching department in the OS as both Schappert and Holiday got hammered in declines so I didn't feel we could contend with our current set of arms. I offered this combo to a couple of teams and Detroit were the first to accept.

I get a soon to decline A overall SP without a dominant skill, not my first preference but the best one I felt I could afford, Monroe has been very consistent and should slide into the #2 spot in my rotation. In return I surrender a ML ready multi positional hitter in Milbarge and a bit of a long shot prospect in Brabender, I think Milbarge can be a ML regular he's just been squeezed in Los Angeles but his numbers in just over 200 ML games are certainly good enough to start for many teams.

I'm not sure if we can still compete this year, and by 2018 I think I'll be worried about loss penalty but I really hate losing, only twenty five 100 loss seasons in 350 seasons played and most of those unavoidable due to taking over terrible teams, so I'm going to try and hang on as long as we can .
PhillyDynasty

Post by PhillyDynasty »

Big trade alert!

Trade #1554716 has been completed between the St. Louis Men In Laundry and the Seattle Spurs. The Seattle Spurs receive Ed Coleman, Hector Howell, Chuck Thompson, Draft Pick - 2117 Round 1 (DET) from the St. Louis Men In Laundry in exchange for Pat Smoltz.

STL reached out to Seattle with this offer for Smoltz--likely after his very strong return from the DL. I had been counting on Smoltz to be my main rotation piece to help hit 55 wins, but this offer was too good to pass up. I countered with one request, which STL approved, to include Coleman so he could help my rotation, but otherwise this was STL's original proposal. I am excited to gain a top five draft pick, and Howell is likely to be a contributor to my next competitive squad. Thompson is more of a wild card, but some lucky improvements could make him useful. Overall, while I know Smoltz is fairly close to A+/B+, I decided that his advanced age (OS25) would make him too old for my next run, and he hasn't proven himself quite good enough to anchor my rotation. While I risk harming my own draft pick by not being able to hit 50/55 wins, I think the early pick from STL makes that risk worth it. Good luck to Smoltz in STL!
dirtdevil

Post by dirtdevil »

SEA had sent a couple of offers for my 1st rounder last yr and this, generally involving a vet and a late round pick. That didn't really work for me, but it did get me thinking about what would work. Looking over his roster, smoltz was the one guy who stood out. So figuring it can't hurt to ask, I put an offer together. He countered with Coleman and a third prospect, which I thought a bit high. This was my counter. To me the key is smoltz. I get to add a potentially elite arm to my future stable, which looks promising. I will need to find some more bats soon, but my feeling is that when you have a chance to add an elite arm you take it.
BigMacAttack

Post by BigMacAttack »

Trade #1557829 has been completed between the Brooklyn Bushwicks and the Detroit Space Goats. The Detroit Space Goats receive Eddie Heise from the Brooklyn Bushwicks in exchange for Charlie Parsons.http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id=12624173

I was looking for another bat and while searching through everyone's rosters and liked Parsons track record against righties. I offered up Heise as compensation and Detroit took it. I guess my next step is to find a back up catcher and maybe someone to mash lefties too.
dirtdevil

Post by dirtdevil »

5/12/2118

Trade #1562047 has been completed between the St. Louis Men In Laundry and the Toronto Northmen. The Toronto Northmen receive Yasuhiro Okamoto, Ced Doyle, Jake Lavelle from the St. Louis Men In Laundry in exchange for Draft Pick - 2120 Round 1 (TOR), Draft Pick - 2121 Round 1 (TOR).

Okamoto is too old for the completion of my rebuild (although this rebuild is in danger of being over before it really starts soon) so I wanted to get some value for him. Lavelle is a decent enough complimentary player but I have a few similar guys developing. Doyle is an aging vet who has held his skills pretty well but his main value for me is as a mentor and I have other guys who are better at that. This lets me get some future assets for these guys while giving TOR a better shot in a pretty wide open AL this year.
4EverGreen

Post by 4EverGreen »

6/30/2118

A trade has been completed between the Brooklyn Bushwicks and the Boston Pops. The Boston Pops receive Elmer Darr from the Brooklyn Bushwicks in exchange for Vinnie Grimsley.

My offense is one of the best in the league (stat wise). My bullpen one of the worst. Result - an underperforming .500 team. It was time to strengthen a weakness while I still have young offensive talent. Brooklyn came knocking and this deal was done without a hitch (offered and accepted). Easy Peazy. Now I'm hoping Darr can stabilize the mess he's been thrust into! And at OS29 I get him for a good period of time. Grimsley should be a good one but you gotta pay to play!
BigMacAttack

Post by BigMacAttack »

6/30/2118

Trade #1563045 has been completed between the Brooklyn Bushwicks and the Boston Pops. The Boston Pops receive Elmer Darr from the Brooklyn Bushwicks in exchange for Vinnie Grimsley.
http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=12591403

Boston posted that he was looking for relief help and I felt like I had some surplus pitching so I offered him Darr for what I hope is a valuable prospect in Grimsley.
4EverGreen

Post by 4EverGreen »

7/6/2018

A trade has been completed between the Boston Pops and the Kansas City River Cats. The Kansas City River Cats receive Hy "Light" Lyle, Draft Pick - 2120 Round 2 (TOR) from the Boston Pops in exchange for Dan Spillner.

My second deal in an effort to strengthen my pitching staff (bullpen in particular). Timely as I just lost one of my better relievers to injury. Spillner is in decline but still has good skills / stats and I'm hopeful to get positive contributions from him this year and next (anything after that would be a bonus).

Return to “Bob Horner League”