Why i made the deal

Discussions for the Bob Horner League.

Moderator: Hamilton2

dirtdevil

Re: Why i made the deal

Post by dirtdevil »

6/28/2115

Trade #1551197 has been completed between the St. Louis Men In Laundry and the Seattle Spurs. The Seattle Spurs receive Draft Pick - 2116 Round 2 (DET) from the St. Louis Men In Laundry in exchange for Bill Ennis, Ed Coleman.

6/28/2115

Trade #1551186 has been completed between the St. Louis Men In Laundry and the Atlanta Silverbacks. The Atlanta Silverbacks receive Draft Pick - 2117 Round 2 (STL), Draft Pick - 2116 Round 2 (STL) from the St. Louis Men In Laundry in exchange for Doug Kent, Ced Doyle.

I don't think we have much chance to avoid the penalty, but I also don't have room in my minors for 4 1sts and 3 2nds over the next two years. So I'm willing to spend some of the non-1sts to take our best shot. The ATL guys should still be useful next year so I'm happy to spend a 2 each on them. SEAs pitchers likely will not, so I wasn't. We are happy to welcome home future hall of fame starter Ed Coleman, who said hello to his old fans by winning his first game back in red and white.
4EverGreen

Post by 4EverGreen »

9/26/2115

A trade has been completed between the Seattle Spurs and the Boston Pops. The Boston Pops receive Joe Keatley from the Seattle Spurs in exchange for Greg McKelvy, Draft Pick - 2117 Round 2 (BOS).

Seattle put JK OTB and he fit our "needs profile". This deal is geared completely towards helping the Fox compete next season (and hopefully a few more after that). Keatley adds valuable depth to our bench and some much needed power to our lineup (particularly vs. righties). Boston fans are excited for 2116 to get underway (ABE not withstanding)!

I think McKelvy has pretty good upside but really had no future home in Boston due to recent acquisitions, so I was comfortable in this exchange.
PhillyDynasty

Post by PhillyDynasty »

4EverGreen wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:54 pm 9/26/2115
A trade has been completed between the Seattle Spurs and the Boston Pops. The Boston Pops receive Joe Keatley from the Seattle Spurs in exchange for Greg McKelvy, Draft Pick - 2117 Round 2 (BOS).
The teardown in Seattle continues, as I attempt to get solid value for my players. McKelvy is a nearly majors-ready 3B who, while he is unlikely to be a perennial all-star, has a chance to be a solid starter with great defense, if he continues to improve well/converts majors ICs. I wish BOS the best for next season, but I think the second round pick has a chance to be a mid-rounder, which would be great value, because of the improvements other teams in the AL are making. If it is a late second, that is still something, but I won't feel as good about the trade as I do at the moment.
4EverGreen

Post by 4EverGreen »

10/13/2115

[iTrade #1553581 has been completed between the Atlanta Silverbacks and the Boston Pops. The Boston Pops receive Johnny Alexander, Draft Pick - 2116 Round 2 (STL) from the Atlanta Silverbacks in exchange for Mark Epstein, Draft Pick - 2116 Round 1 (BOS).][/i]

The last "piece" to our lineup puzzle going into next season was to another majors-ready catcher to platoon with my current starter Scott Smith. I like Smith who still has upside but his D- health is worrisome (he hit the DL THREE times this year). Alexander also has upside (I expect he'll be A- overall soon) and his B health gives me a solid backstop 1-2 punch.

In this year's draft that #9 pick should yield good value but I'm moving towards compete mode and upgrading my catcher position seemed like a good way to spend that pick (my minors still have major-league level talent brewing). And I still have 5 picks in rounds2 and 3 and I feel like I can pick up some stretch prospects as well.

Lastly, with this deal Epstein became expendable so I was comfortable moving him.
tworoosters

Hooper for Donnally - Sentimentality

Post by tworoosters »

10/19/2115

A trade has been completed between the Los Angeles Miracles and the Texas Hamiltonians. The Texas Hamiltonians receive MC Hooper from the Los Angeles Miracles in exchange for Harlan Donnally

I know they are just code bits but I do get a bit sentimental about them, this technically was two trades but I merged them into one.

With the OS approaching I knew Hooper would be retiring so I offered him up to Texas for nothing so he could retire with the team he had played all but 17 games of his 16 year career. I had intentionally grabbed Hooper before September 1st so that if by some miracle we won the World Series he could retire with a ring but alas it was not to be. Hamilton accepted and then offered me the chance to acquire Donnally to have him end his career as a Miracle.

So two veteran players get to announce their retirements from the teams where they had their glory years
BigMacAttack

Post by BigMacAttack »

Trade #1553887 has been completed between the Seattle Spurs and the Brooklyn Bushwicks. The Brooklyn Bushwicks receive Doug Hartranft http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=12463706 from the Seattle Spurs in exchange for Kevin McMillan, Draft Pick - 2117 Round 2 (BRO), Draft Pick - 2117 Round 3 (BRO).

I'm hoping that adding Hartranft can provide me with more offence and also improve my team defence as he is a phenomenal defensive SS. I talked Seattle down from a 1st to the 2nd and 3rd because Hartranft doesn't have the best track record against righties but he hit a couple more improves this past OS and I'm hoping that he can at least provide solid OBP numbers as his contact and speed should help drive more offence overall for me. McMillan is going to be a solid catcher but with Flack in place and Heise there to become my back-up I decided to turn him into an asset that can hopefully help now as I try to climb into the playoffs or at least a real race.
PhillyDynasty

Post by PhillyDynasty »

BigMacAttack wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:50 am Trade #1553887 has been completed between the Seattle Spurs and the Brooklyn Bushwicks. The Brooklyn Bushwicks receive Doug Hartranft http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=12463706 from the Seattle Spurs in exchange for Kevin McMillan, Draft Pick - 2117 Round 2 (BRO), Draft Pick - 2117 Round 3 (BRO).
I have high hopes for McMillan. In an oft-catcher-starved league, I think he could be a regular all star, assuming solid improvements. I hoped to get more for Hartranft (a good prospect plus a first), but I spent an entire season trying to move him with no luck. I think this is a fair price, given his weaker offensive numbers vs RHP. Hopefully the second round pick will be early-ish, or I hit a good development curve with the pick.
4EverGreen

Post by 4EverGreen »

3/25/16

A trade has been completed between the Texas Hamiltonians and the Boston Pops. The Boston Pops receive Draft Pick - 2118 Round 2 (TEX) from the Texas Hamiltonians in exchange for Freddie Mantilla.

I've now got a deep pitching pool in the minors and Mantilla really didn't fit our plans anymore (too old to keep down, not quite ready for "The Show" - assuming we will be competitive this year). So I put him OTB and Texas made an offer for the value I was looking for and as they say "the deal was done". Mantilla's improves have been "off the chart" so his mid-level draft spot and relatively low overall grade (B+) at this point in his career were misleading indicators. If his improve trends continue he should become a solid major league starter.

Again, he didn't have a long-term home in Boston so he goes to Texas where he does, and I get "2nd round" value in return. I just hope he doesn't come back to haunt Boston in a couple of years!
Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 »

4EverGreen wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:45 am 3/25/16

A trade has been completed between the Texas Hamiltonians and the Boston Pops. The Boston Pops receive Draft Pick - 2118 Round 2 (TEX) from the Texas Hamiltonians in exchange for Freddie Mantilla.

I've now got a deep pitching pool in the minors and Mantilla really didn't fit our plans anymore (too old to keep down, not quite ready for "The Show" - assuming we will be competitive this year). So I put him OTB and Texas made an offer for the value I was looking for and as they say "the deal was done". Mantilla's improves have been "off the chart" so his mid-level draft spot and relatively low overall grade (B+) at this point in his career were misleading indicators. If his improve trends continue he should become a solid major league starter.

Again, he didn't have a long-term home in Boston so he goes to Texas where he does, and I get "2nd round" value in return. I just hope he doesn't come back to haunt Boston in a couple of years!
From Texas' point of view, I get a mid 20's starter who can sit in the minors for another season or two and if I'm lucky eventually get to A/B+ and get promoted at 28/29 and provide a half dozen years of quality SP3/4 production.
Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 »

03/25/2016

Lots of action going on today ...

Texas acquires 3B Logan Willoughby from Atlanta for 3B Frank Morse and a 2017 2nd round draft pick.

I'm hoping that Willoughby boosts the middle of our lineup between Lovett and Garibay. Morse didn't perform well enough last season to justify another year at the hot corner when we are trying to compete.

This is a "win-now" attempt and we'll see how it pans out.

Return to “Bob Horner League”