Why i made the deal

Discussions for the Bob Horner League.

Moderator: Hamilton2

lordlau1

Re: Why i made the deal

Post by lordlau1 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:22 pm

"Trade #1654632 has been completed between the Cleveland Knockers and the Chicago Knights. The Chicago Knights receive Dutch Mountjoy, Charlie Snipes, Shoichi Fukuo from the Cleveland Knockers in exchange for Tom Ramsay, Clay Yvars."

Gives me a couple veterans , even though it was hard to move Ramsay. Working on a different deal to grab a young reliever for the farm system. My team needed some elder stability.

4EverGreen

Post by 4EverGreen » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:22 pm

Pops Adding Vets

April 2139

The Boston Pops have completed 2 trades.

1. Trade completed between the Boston Pops and the Philadelphia Bull Frogs. The Philadelphia Bull Frogs receive Steve Rickert from the Boston Pops in exchange for Mitch Meine.

2. Trade completed between the Boston Pops and the New York Bumblebees. The New York Bumblebees receive Dave Jones, Heinie Jasper, Hooks Brandt, Don Silverio from the Boston Pops in exchange for Jake Neill.

Even tho my team lost 104 games last year (I HATE having 100 loss seasons) I believe we have a good core of younger players that would now benefit from quality veteran additions. Both Meine and Neill check those boxes. In Meine I get a ~5 year window to take advantage of his near .800 career OPS. He may not be an All Star but he immediately upgraded my line-up (our team OPS last year was UNDER .700). Rickert has upside but (IMO) is a couple of years away from being Meine.

In Neill we get a staff ace (which we really haven't had). He's OS 32 so I also see him having a 4 - 5 year window. When I asked NY about Neill he gave me a list of 4 guys who he would consider and I gave him 3 of them (with Silverio being the key).

I'm hoping these additions (plus Mark Hitt previously - all upgrades over incumbents) are enough to make us playoff competitive. Then again, turning around a 104 loss team is no easy undertaking!

tworoosters

Imlay for a pair of 2nd round picks

Post by tworoosters » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:37 pm

5/10/2139

A trade has been completed between the San Francisco Sea Lions and the Los Angeles Miracles. The Los Angeles Miracles receive Joe Joshua, Draft Pick - 2141 Round 2 (SF), Draft Pick - 2140 Round 2 (SF) from the San Francisco Sea Lions in exchange for Matias Imlay.

Out of the blue SF sent this offer, I was in meetings for a few hours but once I had a chance to look at it I said "why not" and pulled the trigger. Imlay is OS36 but is still A overall and declines have been kind to him. That said he's also F health and may drop to B+ velocity next year, toss in the fact that premiere relievers declining teams can't afford and I felt that two late 2nd round picks was a good return. Imlay leaves the Miracles 11th all time in games pitched and 4th in saves, he was instrumental in our two recent Championships and has great playoff stats, he'll be missed.

spiderrtp

Post by spiderrtp » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:31 pm

Trade #1656517 has been completed between the Cleveland Knockers and the Atlanta Silverbacks. The Atlanta Silverbacks receive Felipe Anderson, Nick Rajsich, Art Friend from the Cleveland Knockers in exchange for Bill Callahan, Carl Netzel, Charlie Kaiser, Sal Moisan.
I decided to go aggressive. I haven't competed in awhile and I realized I was close but probably still the 3rd best team in the NL. The opportunity to add 3 players who could all come in and start immediately even at advanced age was too much to pass up. I get a #1 starter and the 2 hitters jump right into the heart of the order even if they have to learn new defensive positions. I feel this move sets us up to compete with Brooklyn and SF now. Lets the chips fall where they may.

On the other hand, I gave up 2 very young but promising pitchers who I hated to part with, but they were likely not going to be ready to help much before the end of this run so I wish the kids well in Cleveland.

Johngarm70u

Post by Johngarm70u » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:24 pm

Trade #1656517 has been completed between the Cleveland Knockers and the Atlanta Silverbacks. The Atlanta Silverbacks receive Felipe Anderson, Nick Rajsich, Art Friend from the Cleveland Knockers in exchange for Bill Callahan, Carl Netzel, Charlie Kaiser, Sal Moisan.

Atlanta had a good offer in my inbox in the morning when I woke up (west coast). I countered and he accepted right away. I wanted something to build around. He offered Kaiser and some other pieces. I asked for Netzel as well as Kaiser instead and he accepted. I am still getting used to the new rules and longevity of players and I hope he gets at least two good years out of both.

Atlanta knew what he was looking for as those were my three best players. Even at their age. Looking at it from my end. I had a "shot" this year but that is probably it for awhile and I felt it wasnt a great shot. After that it would be slim pickings for awhile. So two pieces that have a shot at being good pitchers was worth it in my book. Even if it took away any chance this year.

On a side note. Thanks for the offers. All were reasonable and while we all try for the best with our teams none were the magic beans type you usually get. Still open if anyone is interested.

4EverGreen

Post by 4EverGreen » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:40 pm

Pops add more experience.

5/13/2139

A trade has been completed between the Cleveland Knockers and the Boston Pops. The Boston Pops receive Jack Fox from the Cleveland Knockers in exchange for Mike "Boog" Powell.

I had sent Cleveland an offer for Fox and Rajsich but Atlanta outbid me. Cleveland then came back with this lesser deal and I accepted. Damn it I'm trying to compete and eventually adding quality veteran talent should make an impact on the bottom line (tho not true to date). Maybe this one will tip the scales (tho I have to be mindful that I lost 104 games last year). And Cleveland gets younger which is what they seem to be going after. Onward...

Johngarm70u

Post by Johngarm70u » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:25 pm

4EverGreen wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:40 pm
Pops add more experience.

5/13/2139

A trade has been completed between the Cleveland Knockers and the Boston Pops. The Boston Pops receive Jack Fox from the Cleveland Knockers in exchange for Mike "Boog" Powell.

I had sent Cleveland an offer for Fox and Rajsich but Atlanta outbid me. Cleveland then came back with this lesser deal and I accepted. Damn it I'm trying to compete and eventually adding quality veteran talent should make an impact on the bottom line (tho not true to date). Maybe this one will tip the scales (tho I have to be mindful that I lost 104 games last year). And Cleveland gets younger which is what they seem to be going after. Onward...
That's exactly what happened on this end.

4EverGreen

Post by 4EverGreen » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:33 pm

Boston Tapping the Brakes for a Moment

6/8/2139

A trade has been completed between the Brooklyn Bushwicks and the Boston Pops. The Boston Pops receive Roy Catterson, Milt Rodas, Draft Pick - 2140 Round 2 (BRO) from the Brooklyn Bushwicks in exchange for Bobby Pramesa.

So I'm playing sub .500 ball as we near the half way mark. I was premature in thinking this current team would compete, even with recent upgrades (most of which are meeting or exceeding expectations). Thus, I considered moving Jose Howard to a competing team (Brooklyn being one of the target teams). He came back with this offer for Bobby Pramesa. Interesting. Pramesa is one of my few consistent young bright lights. But upon reflection it seems probable that Catterson can become Pramesa, perhaps as early as next season. Plus I get another young arm to develop in Rodas. And who knows what a playoff second might yield. So as we play out this subpar 2139 season this deal is squarely focused on 2140 and beyond. I hope Mr. Catterson doesn't disappoint.

BigMacAttack

Post by BigMacAttack » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:55 pm

4EverGreen wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:33 pm
Boston Tapping the Brakes for a Moment

6/8/2139

A trade has been completed between the Brooklyn Bushwicks and the Boston Pops. The Boston Pops receive Roy Catterson, Milt Rodas, Draft Pick - 2140 Round 2 (BRO) from the Brooklyn Bushwicks in exchange for Bobby Pramesa.

So I'm playing sub .500 ball as we near the half way mark. I was premature in thinking this current team would compete, even with recent upgrades (most of which are meeting or exceeding expectations). Thus, I considered moving Jose Howard to a competing team (Brooklyn being one of the target teams). He came back with this offer for Bobby Pramesa. Interesting. Pramesa is one of my few consistent young bright lights. But upon reflection it seems probable that Catterson can become Pramesa, perhaps as early as next season. Plus I get another young arm to develop in Rodas. And who knows what a playoff second might yield. So as we play out this subpar 2139 season this deal is squarely focused on 2140 and beyond. I hope Mr. Catterson doesn't disappoint.
Boston approached me about adding Howard for Rodas. I like Howard fine but he's OS 32, similar age to many of my guys I already have. Taking a look at his roster I saw Pramesa, who's OS 26 and thought that I'd rather have him. So I made this counter offer to include Catterson and a 2nd rounder to get Pramesa instead.
For me I get a younger bat with good potential and give up a guy of similar age who is not as good yet, a guy who should become a good reliever and hopefully a playoff 2nd rounder.

tworoosters

Dixon for Kalin, Crawford and the #10 in the 2040 draft

Post by tworoosters » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:12 pm

10/13/2139

A trade has been completed between the Boston Pops and the Los Angeles Miracles. The Los Angeles Miracles receive Bill Kalin, Billy Crawford, Draft Pick - 2140 Round 1 (BOS) from the Boston Pops in exchange for Jack Dixon.

Boston and LA talked in April about a possible deal that would have involved Crawford and Mickey Haller but could not come to terms, but the seed was there. As the post season began I contacted Boston's GM and informed him that Dixon could be available for the right package, Boston came up with this offer and after a day of thought I accepted.

I hate to lose Dixon, all he's done in the past four years since he became a starter is be a four time All Star and win an MVP, he's only 29 and has A+ health but my pitching is awful and by the time we are close to contention Dixon will be in his Sim dotage. In return I receive a potential #3, maybe #2, starter in Crawford, a reasonable piece in Kalin and the #10 overall pick in a decent draft. This deal hurts us for the next three years but our offense was top 5 this year and I need to make room in the next year or two for some hitters.

Meanwhile Boston gets a very solid bat in the middle of their order who has 5 years left of peak performance, it's a classic "now for later" deal, I'm the later.

Return to “Bob Horner League”