Ya gotta love ABE

Discussions for the Bob Horner League.

Moderator: Hamilton2

tworoosters

Ya gotta love ABE

Post by tworoosters »

Among the many frustrating things about ABE is his logic regarding positional ability. ABE is a firm believer that once a player reaches a certain age he can no longer learn a new position, even if he spent several years exclusively playing that position, which is utterly ridiculous.

I spent roughly 30 years playing catcher and 3B until two shoulder surgeries moved me to 1B, however this does not mean that at age 40 I was unable to learn to play 1B competently nor that I would no longer be able to play the 2 positions I had previously played ............but not in ABE's world.

Take Terry Wertz, Wertz was a catcher by definition but spent his time in St Louis as an OFer, then he was dealt to Seattle where he started at catcher for 3 years before moving back to the OF. Although his last 3 1/2 years have been primarily in the OF he has still spent some time behid the plate. This year with multiple injuries in LA Wertz has started 45 of his 89 starts as a catcher but his catcher proficiency never increased from it's level of 66.3%, but as soon as he returns to the OF he immediately begins, once again, to forget how to catch and likely by early next year will no longer be eligible to play the position despite starting over 35% of his major league games there and 55% of his starts over the past 7 1/2 years.

Stupid ABE
BKCUBS13

Re: Ya gotta love ABE

Post by BKCUBS13 »

I know this is off topic but I am mesmerized by that A+/A+ split
dirtdevil

Post by dirtdevil »

i once had a player who played RF vs rhp but started at C vs lhp lose eligibility behind the plate in the middle of the season. it was, and is, beyond stupid.
tworoosters

Post by tworoosters »

BKCUBS13 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:22 pm I know this is off topic but I am mesmerized by that A+/A+ split
Imagine the numbers he could have put up with even blue lettered health ? He's the active leader in OPS but has only averaged 121 games a year since becoming a regular in 2108
BigMacAttack

Post by BigMacAttack »

Maybe it's mostly because he was catching and the conversion rates there are ridiculously slow to begin with?

Sam Foulke http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=12356355 is my back up catcher but I've recently put him in to the starting lineup at 3B versus righties and LF versus lefties to get him enough ABs so he doesn't retire on me. He is slowly gaining in his % at both 3B where he's played 47 career games, including 13 this year and LF where the 2 games he's played there this year are the only times he's done it.

Return to “Bob Horner League”