I'm probably not drafting a pitcher

Discussions for the Bob Horner League.

Moderator: Hamilton2

tworoosters

I'm probably not drafting a pitcher

Post by tworoosters »

So the rebuild has produced some top of the draft selections, and as usual I looked for pitching at the top since it's harder to find.

ABE however has decided that my attempts to build a staff through the draft are not going to happen. In 2019 I dealt out de Santis for Tanner and a 1st that I used on Quincy.

One of the reasons I made the deal was that Tanner had shown reasonable improves, but that came to an abrupt halt after joining the Miracles organization. After converting at an 18% rate for Texas Tanner has since improved at a 9% rate in LA, granted improvement levels do decline as players improve but the falloff seems a tad excessive. Quincy was, I thought, a steal at #14 in the draft C+/C+ with B+ endurance, A+ health and a late birthday OS20 meaning 2 years of prime minor league improves. However ABE was having none of that, Quincy went 3/139 in 2+ years before I finally gave up and waived him in June of this year.

Next up was the 2021 draft where we defied the odds and were granted the #1 pick in the draft, though not a great pool it's still always best to pick first. As mentioned the pool was shallow so I picked another pitcher, a late birthday OS19 C/C+ A endurance SP Bob Ford, and so far it appears that ABE has chosen to allow Ford to develop in a normal manner, heck maybe even a tad above average. Still there's lots of years left for ABE to screw me over.

Last year we got a little lucky again in the lottery, moving up from #5 to #3, and it was a deeper pool. The failures of Tanner and Quincy weighed heavily on me so despite some top end hitting projects I ended up with a high endurance RP prospect in Bobby Dwyer. I'm not opposed to taking relievers early since my pitching preferences when we are contending usually mean my top 2 RPs are around the 80 appearance/100 innings range so that makes them big cogs. Dwyer had a velocity heavy split C+/C- but I wasn't too worried, and at OS18 with a late birthday I fully expected 15-20 improvements. Silly me, with a month to go Dwyer has improved only 10 times, which is bad enough, but he's only converted 1 control chance, and only received 14. The upshoot is he's still C- in control and his split is even worse now.

We should be picking high again this year but unless there is a unicorn pitcher at my spot I think we'll look for a bat this year.
dirtdevil

Re: I'm probably not drafting a pitcher

Post by dirtdevil »

from the looks of things, you might not be drafting anyone. yeesh.
tworoosters

Post by tworoosters »

dirtdevil wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:40 pm from the looks of things, you might not be drafting anyone. yeesh.

Wow, that is ugly. Only nine players younger than OS28 players above C+, and one is 53rd on my prerank
dirtdevil

Post by dirtdevil »

I will give anyone who ends up with a top 3 pick a future 2nd rounder fot it.

Return to “Bob Horner League”