The top pick in the draft

Discussions for the Billy Williams League.

Moderators: BigRich, mhollidaze

BigRich

The top pick in the draft

Post by BigRich »

Jealousy rears it's ugly head here in Detroit. Last year we had the 1st pick in the draft and took Jack "Wall to Wall" Bender. http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id ... rimps=imps

He was the best young player available in the draft and I still think he will do well eventually even though he will never be called speedy.

Then I see this years draft group, and especially Mike Klink. http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?mo ... d=12703692 (Oakland has the 1st pick in the draft btw.) Mike has better stats than my player already and has great speed and is younger. Neither player has much of an arm, but you can't have everything. The only thing my player can say is that he gets a great jump on the ball with his A+ range. Unless Mike is a bust Jack is getting a great player. My player I hope to be very good but will need some luck to be great. Both are deserving to be taken 1st but I think Jack got luckier. Congrats to Oakland!
jmckeean

Re: The top pick in the draft

Post by jmckeean »

However, for the rest of us, this draft appears to have some "good" prospects throughout the first round.....well, maybe not all "prospects" due to advancing age for a "prospect", but plenty of helpful hardballers to be had in this draft.
alanneff317

Post by alanneff317 »

Or, if you are like me, could have traded away 1st & 2nd round picks, so my first pick is in the 3rd round? Enjoy your player selections!
Beanballs

Post by Beanballs »

I have the #2, so I am happy with whoever I get depending on what Oakland does, either way it fills a need for me with my aging roster. It is a good deep draft, with the variable development some nice potential out there for plenty of teams
The Land of Pleasant Living
BigRich

Post by BigRich »

I am somewhat like you alanneff317, in that I too have no 1st round pick this year if that makes you feel any better. I have yet to analyze the draft's depth but I suspect since I draft in the 16 position that there will be no diamond in the rough this year for me when I use the 32nd pick in the draft. One thing is for certain. Rebuilding under the wheel is certainly more of a challenge and trading picks can always come back to haunt you no matter which draft system is used.
alanneff317

Post by alanneff317 »

Rich, I sold the farm in order to win now. It seemingly paid off with a WS win, the first in franchise history. I would like to see more than one, but we'll see. Having said that, I cleaned out the draft picks and Minors a bit. Oh well...
jmckeean

Post by jmckeean »

Looks like a great year to have the #1 pick in the draft! 16 yo CF with Major League bat all ready to scare the fine Pitchers of the Billy Williams League. There seems plenty of talent in this draft. My team has the top spot NEXT season.....why do I feel as if I missed the lottery by ONE YEAR?! :)

Return to “Billy Williams League”