What is up with this?

Discussions for the Billy Williams League.

Moderators: BigRich, mhollidaze

jmckeean

What is up with this?

Post by jmckeean »

On a few occasions, I have drafted a player with a B-(for example) ratings, and upon getting to level up improvement time they don't "level-up" but instead stay the same and the past ratings suddenly appear as lower than they were. I have a player Bull Bragan in m y minor league system who rated as B- in contact vs Righty when I drafted him, has been that ever since, and now when he gets to where my player 'usually' level up, he remains B- and his former rating shows as a C+. This has happened a few times to players that I was pushing. Is this a THING? If so, why?
BigRich

Re: What is up with this?

Post by BigRich »

Based on Bull Bragan's improvements so far the only category he for sure has went up is Speed. He has gained 9 points there and it takes max 8 points in a skill to go up a letter grade.

LETTER GRADES ACTUAL SCORE
A+ 92-100
A 84-91
A- 76-83
B+ 68-75
B 60-67
B- 52-59
C+ 44-51
C 36-43
C- 28-35
D+ 20-27
D 12-19
D- 4-11
F 1-3

His total Rating of B- is a sum total of his skill points when you add contact and power for both sides, his speed, range, and arm totals divided by 7. (On a hitter there are 7 skills) So what can we say about Bull so far is his total skill points fall somewhere between 364 and 413. (His overall grade is B- which has a range of 52-59 x 7) That's a 49 point range. If he is near the top of that 49 point range he could go up to overall grade B soon, if near the bottom of the range it may be another year of gains yet. The only way to learn a players actual numbers for sure is to create a spreadsheet and after each game of the day chart his gains. Example: You create a column for Speed where he is rated B- atm, which is 52-59. If Bull gains a point but does not go up in skill grade you change the column to read B- 53-59. He gains another point you change it to read B- 54-59. Eventually you would see him go up to B which is 60. Lets say though you don't have time to check after every game, but only every night. If you see Bull go up 2 in speed for the days 3 games and the letter grade changes you put in the column B 60-61. (Because you don't know if the 1st gain of the day got him to 60 or the 2nd.) I used to do this for all my players and 2 leagues. It's a lot of work, but I don't do it anymore. I got older and lazier. Hope this helps. If you were asking something else and I missed the point, let me know.
jmckeean

Post by jmckeean »

All great information. but missed the point, surely because I stated my problem poorly. :) He was a B- in contact vs Righty when I drafted him; my players usually have their first grade jump at 5 points, and following jumps every 8 so I checked when he got his 5th improvement in contact vs R and saw that he was still at B-. This is not what alarmed me (and it has happened before), what got my attention, is that his passed rating for contact vs. R now showed as a C+. He was drafted at B-, has been a B- the whole time, but now showed a C+. I checked the draft log also; it shows him as a C+. I play this game for the player development angle, always have, so I keep a pretty close eye on this stuff. It HAS happened before to my players, so I was just wondering if that is a part of the game or just a costly glitch. Thanks for getting back to me on this.
Jhovi

Post by Jhovi »

Hi
Past ratings are only on approximation/calculation based on number of improvements and current rating. The game does not keep track of the actual history. So past ratings can and will be misleading (but hopefully not too misleading)
Jack
jmckeean

Post by jmckeean »

So, you are saying that a player showing up on the draft page with ratings to represent their skill level in only an APPROXIMATION? That is kind of odd. Drafted as a B-
but is actually a C+?
I am not raving or even mad, just confused.
Jhovi

Post by Jhovi »

What I am saying is that the past skills section of a player card is an approximation.

For Bull Bragan, I see that the draft page lists him as a B- while the past skills lists him as a C+. The B- is correct while the C+ is the approximation.

Did that answer your question? Or am I still not understanding??
Jack
jmckeean

Post by jmckeean »

Thanks so much for your attempt at helping me understand. :) I guess what I am specifically asking is this: Even though he was listed as B- in contact vs rhp when I drafted him, what he actually was, was a mis-marked C+? If this is the case, then his first improvement is to bring him up to the level that he was already listed as when I drafted him?
Jhovi

Post by Jhovi »

HI
He was a B- when you drafted him.
I think the program calculates as follows:

It sees that he is a B- now, but does not know where in the range he actually is (from 52-59). So the program 'guesses' he is in the middle say 56 (this is where the approximation comes in). From there the program sees that he has made 5 improves so guesses his old rating was 56-5=51 which would be C+. But the guess of 56 was wrong and his real current rating is between 57 and 59. So with the 5 subtraction gives from 52-54 which is the B- you drafted.

When I first started playing I thought that the past skills were true and did this kind of analysis to try to determine the actual score for my players (lots of work). But then when they would get improvements some of the letter changes did not make sense (because I did not understand the 'guess' the program makes). I finally found the answer in a post on the old forums.

Jack
jmckeean

Post by jmckeean »

Thank you all for the very detailed analysis. I am impressed with the willingness to help a fellow player who is NOT a research type of guy. :) It is slightly disappointing to draft a player who is not what you were led to believe.....but I get it, I guess. Again, thanks so much all who were involved in my education in this game. :D
BigRich

Post by BigRich »

What the players ratings are you can bank on. (So what you see in the draft is right.) What you can't bank on is the game creating past skills correctly. I have seen the game create those in the past that were actually less than what the player was when I drafted them. If you look at Bull Bragens card right now and choose past skills http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id ... rimps=past it shows this. Notice the red wording above the skills: Skill grades calculated using approximate current ratings minus past improvements.

Approximate current ratings is the key phrase:
In creating those it looked at what Bragens numbers are now subtracts your gains and does a calculated guess where Bragen most likely started out as solely based on his range of numbers. I don't think this part of the game actually knows the beginning no's the player started with, only his current number range which is 52-59. Example: So it might look at Bull and say he has gained 6 in contact and is in the 52-59 range now. Which we know is B-. So it says to itself Bull could have begun as a 53(59 is the max B- rating -6 is 53) or he could have been as low a 46 and still get to the 52-59 range. So when creating the past letter grade it says there are 2 chances Bull was a B- to start 53-52 and 5 chances he was 46-51 so it guesses he was C+ for this past letter grade.

Return to “Billy Williams League”