A Game Observation

Discussions for the Billy Williams League.

Moderators: BigRich, mhollidaze

BigRich

A Game Observation

Post by BigRich »

The beginning of this season Col. Klink http://www.simdynasty.com/player.jsp?pl ... d=12703692 our best prospect for a future HOF nomination could not hit. 45 games into the season he had fell from batting 2nd or 3rd to 7th or 8th. He was hitting barely over .220 which dumfounded me as he normally is about a .300 hitter. I had tried him batting everywhere from 2-8 and he was not hitting. In the past I often assumed that before a season began a secret roll was made to determine if a player was going to have an off year. I started assuming that he had such a roll. Then starting in game 46 I started batting him 1st against RHP. At present 68 games into the season and he is now battling .291 That kind of blows up my bad year roll assumption from the past. Or maybe he just had bad luck in first 45 games and good luck again since then. I do know I am not moving him out of the no. 1 spot the rest of the season, just in case. So my best recommendation for a player having a bad hitting year that normally does well. Try him in different lineup spots till you find one where he seems to improve. Or try him in no. 1 to give him more at bats and more chances to improve. Not sure if either will work for you, but it seems to have worked for Colonel Klink so far this season. :D
historymann49

Re: A Game Observation

Post by historymann49 »

Interesting. Maybe I should try my 2B, who's been pathetically under-performing, at leadoff! By the way, I have a player in another league named Sergeant Schultz. Too bad we can't get him and Col. Klink together. :lol:
mhollidaze

Post by mhollidaze »

It only makes sense. We develop players. Some develop into stars some not so much. There has to be more to this game then just starting the star players in the top of the batting order to get the most at bats. Everyone is going to go into a slump from time to time. But maybe the manager can shorten the slump by making adjustments that don’t seem normal, thinking outside the box, sort of speak!

My No 1 SP Dusty Alvarez started the season in a slump and is now coming out of it. Not much you can do with an SP other then moving them down in the rotation or just let them play it out.
Minions

Post by Minions »

its the same thing with the "hot" guys too. I had a B+ catcher one year hit .400 for a good portion of the first half, keeping my stud who struggled on the bench. Well, since you dont get to have "last 10" game stats, you dont see how quickly things turn and a guy hitting .340 you'd think is still hot, but really he's been a black hole in the lineup. Eventually this guy hit .280, so things average out. I did have a guy who hit A/A vs righties once who never hit over .300 and just generally underperformed for several years. I traded him for a similar player and both owners did well enough to not complain.

Return to “Billy Williams League”