2178 Season Preview

Discussions for the Carlton Fisk League.

Moderator: cwballer25

cwballer25

2178 Season Preview

Post by cwballer25 »

I figured with the holiday break I would have some time to write up a season preview...its been a long time! Merry Christmas everyone hope you can enjoy some down time and company of friends and family!

Also it tends to be something I am inspired to do every time I rebuild...I enjoy the rebuilds especially because there seem to be many more variables at play - you have to look ahead and think about the kind of team you hope to build and where you'll stack up in relation to everyone else. With that in mind, I will try to put a contention window theme on this preview so everyone can see where I believe they stack up! As always, you may disagree and of course you may have some moves in mind to change the course of your team!

National League
1. San Francisco Seals
The presumptive favorite last season after some huge trades to go into a win-now mode, the Seals were taken to 7 games by PHI before being shocked by a strong Minnesota team. Just goes to show that anything can happen in a seven game series. There is plenty of reason for a different outcome this season, as the Seals bring back a ridiculous, straight A rotation that is 5 deep. When an A overall pitcher is your 5th SP, you know you have a lot going on...and thats with another great A SP, Junior Walker, slotting in as the closer. The bullpen is strong, and every single position player has a good backup too. The offense features 5 A overall hitters, bringing the team up to 6 A pitchers and 5 A hitters. ETA: Now for the next couple seasons at least

2. Philadelphia Athletics
The A's took San Fran to the limit last season, losing a one-run game 7. However, PHI probably has the largest contention window of anyone in the league right now. So while they will be underdogs for the short term, they are built for the long term and should be able to compete with anyone. While not as deep as SF, they can match up for a big part of any series behind some excellent SP's, many of whom are still improving. The bullpen will be able to pick up the slack of any short starts, and two minor league prospects are ready to make an impact in the next season or two. The offense is not as deep with backups as SF, but is plenty talented, healthy, and top-heavy. Half of the offense could play 150+ games, and Greer could make an impact this season if needed too. ETA: Now for the next several seasons

3. Houston Astros
A pretty strong rotation has an enigma in McLean, who had an ok rookie year and then actually got some critical endurance improves which could make an even bigger impact than Velocity or Control would have. If he can put up a low 4's ERA and everyone else does their thing, Houston could definitely find themselves in a dogfight for the #2 spot in the NL. The bullpen is quite strong and has another nice one in the wings in Yett, who is Yett to make an appearance but will make an immediate impact. Strong offense led by stud catcher Gleaton who probably saves half as many runs as he drives in with his big arm. If this team is to make the playoffs, they will need to be led by their deep and talented OF. The IF has some nice prospects ready to make an impact, and Houston could always make a move for vets if they find themselves a little short on offense. Lots of good prospects leave Houston with a nice outlook. ETA: Now, improving as SF weakens, and at least a few more seasons

4. Brooklyn Dodgers
Very nice young rotation will lead Brooklyn's resurgence. They are rapidly improving and I expect their win total to climb from 82 last year to the 90's this year. One glaring gap is catcher, but otherwise this team is loaded with 27 and under talent. They are going to make some serious noise and have the envious position of too much young hitting talent - it's probably hard to get a good mentoring score in there with all the guys that need to play now. Also...Keyser Soze may be the sneakiest middle relief man in the league. ETA: Could be as soon as they find a catcher and will be a long-time rival for Philly

5. Colorado Rockies
Always the most unpredictable team in the league because of a super trader attitude, Colorado could certainly make a move up this list and surprise. I would definitely expect them to be a competitive team. I think the pitching probably is better than they look on paper, and can match up with most teams SP's. The bullpen is unpredictable for me. If all those B+ controls are on the high end, then they should be an asset. If they are on the low side, it could be trouble. The offense is similarly unpredictable due to a willingness to platoon and find niche skill sets. One strength should be the OF, with two who get on base a lot and one who just may have a career high in HRs this year. Pearce is really unpredictable due to uneven playing time through his career but I think he will thrive in this offense and could make his first AS team. Sanford is a rising star who could smash 30HR's, and hopefully they can find PT for Balboa to develop too. ETA: Could be a darkhorse right now, and probably will have some staying power in that role for some time. Don't expect roster stability, there will be trades! :)

6. Chicago Cubs
Rich is taking the methodical rebuild approach, holding out for the right buyers (see NYN for the non-methodical tear-down). Right now all the right pieces you'd hope to see are starting to fill in, with lots of high end prospects including 3 promising SPs and a couple in the bullpen too. One thing that could change in a hurry after this recent draft is ML-ready prospects if the Cubs can find some buyers for top hitters Kitani, Weimer, and Vertugo who doesnt like heights but could affect a rise in the standings real quick if moved to a contender. The core on offense is about as good as it gets behind McGlothin, Miles, James, and Koehler plus Brashear and Elster in the minors. That core will hold down many allstar ballots. ETA: I'm going to say ~3-4 seasons from now CHN will be back in the mix

7. Cincinnati Reds
It's full fledged rebuild time after their recent WS Championship, but the good news is, the recent top picks have been good ones. Plenty of work to do on the pitching side, but that's been tough sledding lately in drafts. Probably getting close to time for the older prospects to get a call up and see what they can do with CP's getting scarce quick. DiPoto cant come along soon enough, Cannizaro and Greene could be good assets, Dawson just needs some CVR help from ABE, and Norris with time should be solid too. ETA: depends how nice ABE is in drafts, but ~5+ seasons with good development

8. New York Giants
These guys got no jobs, got no food, their pets HEADS ARE FALLIN OFF! This is what happens when you just do a flash rebuild - you get real bad, real quick. Right now the strategy is hope for nice draft pools from ABE for the next few seasons. This last draft was a good start, but no high end pitching is on the roster at all. Plenty of trade assets in prospects, a few nice catchers, and two gems in the OF in Brashear and Bautista (the Killer B's). Likely going to need some future trade partners to shore up the pitching. ETA: at least 6 seasons to sniff .500 again

American League
1. Tampa Bay Rays
This is the San Fran of the American League, with a sick rotation and almost as good of a bullpen. I think probably the top bullpen in the league. Tampa is all in right now and to be honest I don't know who would win a matchup between SF and Tampa. 3 A hitters, 3 A pitchers, and some super high end guys like Flener who may just win another MVP. Saucier may have a resurgence after a late season trade revived his season on a Tampa team that uses this type of player better than NY does. ETA: It's now (next 2-3 seasons) or never for Tampa.

2. Minnesota Twins
I wouldn't really call their WS ring a surprise, but they did fly under the radar a bit - stood pat mostly at the trade deadline, rode it out and had an impressive showing over a great SF team. Age will start to be a factor, but this team has been to the playoffs 5 seasons in a row and only a small gap between their last championship runs before that. Bonham and Jones can stack up with any SP but they will need some surprises after that with Bradley and for old guy Charleston to bring it back one more time. One saving grace is a very strong bullpen who can hold the fort down. Minnesota always seems to have some mashers, and Jorge Thompson still has 30+ HR seasons in him after a few quiet ones. I see some inconsistent players like Goulait who could still explode and carry the team. ETA: Now - not quite running on fumes yet and still have a few tricks up their sleeve

3. Boston Americans
One of the few rotations that could hold up 1-5 against Tampa - and they'd better, because the bullpen could cause some grief. Fortunately the 1-4 SP's have great endurance and I expect BOS will ride them 7-8 IP if they can. Some young RP's could save or sink the ship but the talent is there. Some small holes in the infield (1B), but a lot of speedsters in the OF who if properly used, could have big seasons. I dont know how to maximize those type of guys but some other owners have solved it. A few top tier prospects could help shore up gaps or provide backups in case of injury. Boston is a tough one to predict, they'll go as far as their SP's will take them. ETA: Now with the ability to extend via prospect trades or call-ups

4. Chicago White Sox
I am not so sure between #s 2-4 in the AL. It has been tight the last few seasons and should remain that way. Bob has a decent rotation but it's not as strong as the other AL contenders. However, the bullpen, while only 4 deep, has some studs who I expect will eat a ton of innings and can hold up. There is some help waiting in the minors too so it's tough to say how they'll fare. Glenn Brown is confusing to me, as he hit 8 HR last year in part time duty but has the looks of a 25 HR hitter. As reigning MVP Tauscher goes, so go the White Sox. Durant is there and this may be a prime trading partner for Chicago NL as they have a short subway ride, can keep their apartments, and the needs of each team match up well. ETA: Now-ish depending how Bob plays it. Could have some legs

5. Baltimore Orioles
Probably similar to Brooklyn in the NL if I had to guess...Baltimore is well on their way to being contenders again - if not for the tough competition right now they might make some noise but it seems like Baltimore will rise quickly as the others age. Love the young rotation like Brooklyns, and TONS of minors talent. Probably another team that could tinker with trades a bit or maneuver the majors/minors tradeoffs between prospects getting ML ready and limited CP's. Love the offense too, and just like Brooklyn it seems the hard part is going to be making sure the mentoring score is decent for all these studs. ETA: Give them 2-3 seasons and I think we'll see a big jump

6. Texas Rangers
3 young ace-caliber SP's is sick, plus Clausen could roll in there too. Bullpen not so much but I'm sure that will come along soon. I think this is probably another one of those speed teams that can be volatile but can really cause problems for other teams with the right settings. There are a lot of guys who will just get on base and steal runs, plus some nice hitting prospects. I think Texas could use a cleanup hitter but has a pretty well-rounded team otherwise and can fill in the missing pieces relatively quickly. ETA: Similar to Baltimore, should be long time competitors

7. Seattle Pilots
Could end up higher than this, but there are some major cracks with the pitching staff, especially if teams can get to the bullpen early. There are a few promising pitchers in the minors that will help soon and the offense definitely has a lot of upside. Ens/Peete/Oates/Reynolds will be an elite foundation and can probably top 100 HR's between them. Maybe Hamaura can be flipped to a contender for a nice prospect return. ETA: Tough to say, but could be 4-5 seasons depending on pitching

8. New York Yankees
Unfortunately the NY fans in general will not have a lot to cheer for this season with both teams rebuilding heavily. NYA is farther along but needs ABE's help with big improves in the OS. Myers and Walker in the minors will lead this rotation and should help pretty soon. Curry could be a good closer too in the bullpen. On offense, Sturze is a nice option for contenders and could bring back a decent return, or he could stick around and be a factor for when NYA returns to contention. The biggest challenge will be balancing the CP's properly and getting playing time for the kids, but there is a really nice core already in place with McGillen, Brubaker, and Bernie Davis. ETA: probably 4-5 seasons, when the aces get called up
wearewolf

Re: 2178 Season Preview

Post by wearewolf »

Thanks Chris. Love these!
This message was sent by order of the Peaky Blinders!
kjuncowboy

Post by kjuncowboy »

Awesome reading as always!
Destruction

Post by Destruction »

This is always amazing!! Haven't seen one in awhile and enjoy it!!
mbaerwal

Post by mbaerwal »

Great job again with your preseason preview !!!!!
262run

Post by 262run »

We always enjoys your detailed analysis! I am sure it is as fun to do as it is to read. Maybe we should be paying you for this every season!!

Jim~
mattyb5000

Post by mattyb5000 »

Great writeup!
cwballer25

Post by cwballer25 »

Didn't do too bad in the NL, just missed Brooklyn/Colorado, but kind of a mess in the middle of the AL!

Return to “Carlton Fisk League”