Modus Operandi

Discussions for the Thurman Munson League.

Moderators: ComptonNine, Hitnrun

Admin
Site Admin

Modus Operandi

Post by Admin »

Originally posted by Vicar 10-8-2008, reposted by Admin:

My thanks to C-9 and all members of the Committee. You have all worked hard to bring this about and I kust want y'all to know it is appreciated! This Post defines the Committee and the criteria for consideration and election to the hall.

From ComptonNine

Thank you for deciding to participate on the Veterans Committee (the “Committee”).

The Veterans Committee Members include:

Ambush
Beast18
Bucs1010
ComptonNine
DDoane
Edlakin
HMPA56
MjLee555

The Committee currently has eight (8) members. We would like to add more members, but in the absence of any additions we can operate with our current roster.

The purpose of the Committee is to perform a look back on the careers of retired players who have been either passed over for nomination, or failed to obtain the requisite number of votes over their five year eligibility period, and determine worthiness for induction based on the achievement of production benchmarks (that we will establish) or through direct comparison with existing Hall of Fame (the “Hall”) members.

We have the good fortune to be free of the kind of wide scale periods of statistical irregularity that has complicated fair value measurement of major league players throughout history, chiefly the “Century Era“ (1876-1900), Dead Ball Era” (1901-19), “Lively Ball Era” (1920-41), “Integration Era” (1942-76), “Free Agency Era” (1977-93) and the “Long Ball Era” (1994-2005). This allows us to judge players on an even playing field.

The Modus Operandi

When does the Committee meet?

The Committee will be busy in the early stages of its operation, so we will work on an adhoc basis initially. The Committee will ask for nominations after the regular Hall vote is completed (with the league at large), or by midseason after the initial period.

What makes a quorum?

Since the Committee is granted the power to elect, a quorum must be representative of the entire league. At present, the Committee has eight members. I believe a Quorum is met when six Committee members vote.

What percentage of Committee member votes constitutes a majority vote?

Based on the current member list (and we encourage more league members to participate), I suggest a simple majority. If all eight members vote, five votes constitutes a majority. If six members vote (a quorum is reached, therefore a valid vote can be conducted) four votes constitutes a simple majority.

What is the nomination process?

Any owner in the league can nominate a player for the Committee’s consideration. However, it is incumbent on the Committee to actively seek out candidates. After an open nomination period with the league at large, I’d like each Committee member to make a case for any player they deem worthy of consideration. Perhaps each Committee member can be assigned a part of the alphabet or two teams (but not their own) from which to identify candidates. To me, the fun is in developing an argument and making a presentation. Once nominees are put before the Committee, members have one week to cast their vote.

What is the minimum service period?

The minimum service period required for Hall consideration is 10 years for players drafted after 1950, the inaugural draft. The ten year service requirement is modified to six years for any player appearing in the inaugural draft older than os 26; a player must have attained the age of 26 during the 1950 season. A player starting his career at age of 26 has less than ten seasons to post highly productive stats before reaching the age of 35, the point at which diminishing returns sets in.

What benchmarks of productions warrant an automatic Hall pass?

The following benchmarks will be used for automatic enshrinement:

a. MVP >= 4 seasons - 1st amendment, originally (2)
b. Hits >= 3,000
c. 200+ hits >=5
d. Hits leader >=5 seasons
e. Hits >= 2,500 combined with a batting average over .300
f. Home runs >= 500
g. Home runs >= 400 combined with rbi total >= 1,400
h. Home run leader >= 5 seasons
i. Home runs >= 40 (minimum 8 seasons)
j. RBI >= 1,500
k. 100+ rbi seasons >= 8 seasons
l. RBI leader >= 5 seasons
m. Batting average >= .320 (minimum 5,000 at bats)
n. .300 average >= 8 seasons
o. Batting leader >= 5 seasons
p. Runs >= 1,500
q. 100 Runs >= 8 seasons
r. Runs leader >= 5 seasons
s. Steals >= 600
t. 50 Steals >= 8 seasons
u. Steals leader >= 5 seasons
v. CY Young = 4 seasons - 1st amendment, originally (2)
w. Wins >=300
x. Wins leader >= 3 seasons
y. 20 win seasons >=5
z. Era <= 3.00 (minimum 1,500 innings)
aa. Era leader >= 4 seasons (minimum 1,500 innings)
bb. Era <= 3.00 (minimum 8 seasons of minimum 150 innings)
cc. Saves >= 400
dd. Saves leader >= 5 seasons
ee. Saves >= 40 (minimum 8 seasons)
ff. Saves % >= 90% (Minimum 300 saves)

How much weight should be given to defense and how do we quantify it?

There have been cases when Hall passes were issued based on outstanding defensive skills when combined with moderate hitting stats. We can quantify defensive contributions through range a quotient, errors, fielding percentage and a listing of the number +/- plays. We compare defensive contributions made by candidates versus Hall members and MLB's Hall of Fame inductees.

In cases where automatic benchmarks are not achieved and head to head comparisons are made with existing Hall members, how do we weigh skills and factors of production?

The Committee is all about comparing and contrasting stats and skills of Hall candidates versus Hall inductees and MLB's Hall of Fame inductees, and thus head to head comparisons will constitute the greatest area of importance to us.

1st Amendment
An amendment has been suggested by BUCS1010 to increase the benchmark for the number of MVP and Cy Young wins from two to four. If no one objects to this change, I will amend the Modus Operandi. Thanks BUCS1010.

2nd Amendment
The minimum service period required for Hall consideration is 10 years for players drafted after 1950, the inaugural draft. The ten year service requirement is modified to six years for any player appearing in the inaugural draft older than os 26; a player must have attained the age of 26 during the 1950 season. A player starting his career at age of 26 has less than ten seasons to post highly productive stats before reaching the age of 35, the point at which diminishing returns sets in (in my opinion).
To help us serve you better, please use the support system for all questions or problems. PMs should NEVER be used. The Support system is always read before PMs.

Return to “Thurman Munson League”