Change in plans

Discussions for the Mickey Mantle League.
DeepThreat

Change in plans

Post by DeepThreat »

So it seems last season was not my final one here in the MML. Chris extended me an offer to kind of babysit the team for a while in order to keep a bot from taking over. Not sure if I will stick around for the entire season, but I will at least be able to set the draft and CPs... and try to take care of the young players as best I can.

I have had a couple of trade offers involving Lunte, McGeachy, and Morrill. At this time, I cannot trade either of these pitchers. A big reason I was leaving in the first place was due to the lack of young pitching I have... and the bulk of my pitching staff either headed to decline after last season or getting dangerously close to it. That said, if my Roughnecks struggle through the first month or so of the season... there's a very good chance I may have a firesale and try to setup the next owner with a nice crop of prospects/young players. Who knows, if this works out well enough I might decided to stick around after all, and let one of my other teams slip away after this next cycle.

Anyway, I figured you all deserved an explanation as to why the team is still in my hands after the Warning post I put up... and some idea of what I'm hoping to do.

Good luck, and have fun
spicoli306

Re: Change in plans

Post by spicoli306 »

DeepThreat wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:24 pm So it seems last season was not my final one here in the MML. Chris extended me an offer to kind of babysit the team for a while in order to keep a bot from taking over. Not sure if I will stick around for the entire season, but I will at least be able to set the draft and CPs... and try to take care of the young players as best I can.

I have had a couple of trade offers involving Lunte, McGeachy, and Morrill. At this time, I cannot trade either of these pitchers. A big reason I was leaving in the first place was due to the lack of young pitching I have... and the bulk of my pitching staff either headed to decline after last season or getting dangerously close to it. That said, if my Roughnecks struggle through the first month or so of the season... there's a very good chance I may have a firesale and try to setup the next owner with a nice crop of prospects/young players. Who knows, if this works out well enough I might decided to stick around after all, and let one of my other teams slip away after this next cycle.

Anyway, I figured you all deserved an explanation as to why the team is still in my hands after the Warning post I put up... and some idea of what I'm hoping to do.

Good luck, and have fun
Well, you already did your job picking up Billy Peterson at #14. I had him ranked 7 overall. You also got both of the C- 18 year old Catcher prospects! I actually liked Santo better than Flannery but both of them have the potential to be at least platoon-mates with a Right-handed partner if they can be fully developed. I'm not quite sure you want to take on a bunch more minor leaguers unless you can upgrade from those guys in the trades. That's something that makes rebuilds so challenging, especially when you aren't steering the franchise longterm. Good luck.

-Michael
DeepThreat

Re: Change in plans

Post by DeepThreat »

spicoli306 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:43 pm Well, you already did your job picking up Billy Peterson at #14. I had him ranked 7 overall. You also got both of the C- 18 year old Catcher prospects! I actually liked Santo better than Flannery but both of them have the potential to be at least platoon-mates with a Right-handed partner if they can be fully developed. I'm not quite sure you want to take on a bunch more minor leaguers unless you can upgrade from those guys in the trades. That's something that makes rebuilds so challenging, especially when you aren't steering the franchise longterm. Good luck.

-Michael
Thing is, all 3 of those guys were in my top 7. Granted, I did skew the draft toward certain needs (pitching, catching), as I had some guys like McPhee, Gorman, Bailey, possibly even Johnson as good young prospects for other positions. That said, I was all that entusiastic about this draft. I think I did well under the circumstances, though.

I kind of agree with you that Santo may make for the better C prospect, but Flannery has far superior health and range which makes him a bit more versatile. I think both have a good chance at being decent players, if not potential All Stars. With the lack of catching this league is known for, I'm highly surprised I got either of them... nevertheless both. I don't think there was any other C's in the draft who were keepers.

As for the idea of taking on more... I'll just put the older prospects in the lineup/rotation however I can o get them as many PA/IP as possible, and surround them with strong mentors. But we'll see how things go first.

Return to “Mickey Mantle League”