DH in Sim Dynasty?

Owner to Owner help and advice
vikball

DH in Sim Dynasty?

Post by vikball »

Now that the MLB has the DH in both leagues, any chance a DH spot is added in Sims? That would be an interesting change to add another bat in the lineup.
5 Time Joe Medwick World Series Champion
2 Time Cesar Cedeno World Series Champion
3 Time Willie Mays World Series Champion
rocker2

Re: DH in Sim Dynasty?

Post by rocker2 »

I wholeheartedly agree.
Vytron

Post by Vytron »

Did you check all the strategies having a DH kills? Plus it makes all its defensive stats irrelevant? It'd only benefit the "set it and forget it" guys that only see their win/lose stats, and hurt the ones paying attention to what happens in the actual games.
SquidJordan wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:09 am all you can do is all you can do.
Vytron wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:01 pm Disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

They can just have the DH as a league option. Initially, it should generate a lot of interest. Might be a good idea for some of these leagues that are having trouble attracting new owners.

Personally I prefer no DH, but I would certainly try a league with that rule.
Glug

Post by Glug »

Because of pitchers being more sought after in drafts I believe a choice for a DH league might balance that.
rocker2

Post by rocker2 »

A DH would allow:

1. weak defender/good bat to still get at-bats but allow a better defender which will help pitching staffs.
2. allow an aging hitter to transition to DH while allowing the promotion of a prospect
3. or allow the promotion of a prospect hitter that may not be great in the field
4. provide an extra lineup spot to evaluate young hitters
5. provide an extra lineup spot for mentorship
6. provide extra trade value for aging stars
jimbowie

Post by jimbowie »

I hate the DH and wish it had never been used.
Vytron

Post by Vytron »

rocker2 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:27 pm A DH would allow:

1. weak defender/good bat to still get at-bats but allow a better defender which will help pitching staffs.
2. allow an aging hitter to transition to DH while allowing the promotion of a prospect
3. or allow the promotion of a prospect hitter that may not be great in the field
4. provide an extra lineup spot to evaluate young hitters
5. provide an extra lineup spot for mentorship
6. provide extra trade value for aging stars
Yes, yes, but if your opponents are doing the same, those advantages cancel out. These things you mention makes it easier for managers as they don't have to think as hard about some problems that disappear (do A, or B or C? Nah, abuse the DH spot since that's optimal), and the strategies it kills are way more than the ones added (what settings do you have when you're winning a game by one run and a reliever is getting tired? do you let her bat or do you pinch hit and risk being switched out for a worse reliever? Do you use a different strategy for this on the 7th and on the 8th? Nah, just DH all situations...)

What I get is that some owners are bored of playing the same thing over and over and any kind of change like adding a DH would allow things to be novel again and welcome. Now, that's a good reason, but then I want the sim to allow a pitcher to be used in any position instead of 9th, that'd give an edge to players paying attention.
gatkeri

Post by gatkeri »

No DH for me-old school NL
KennyEngland

Post by KennyEngland »

I hate the DH. It is a perversion, a prostitution, and a dumbing down of baseball.
Kenny England
President and GM of middling SimDynasty and Strat-O-Matic 1969 baseball clubs

Return to “Baseball Game Questions”