Player Slump

Owner to Owner help and advice
Zeuslives2016

Re: Player Slump

Post by Zeuslives2016 »

Vytron I'm in a league with Willy and he kicks my butt every year. I like the play leagues as well. I lose interest in trial leagues quickly.
matthewlee3

Post by matthewlee3 »

I'm not sure why this turned personal, but generally I will say that the biggest thing lacking in trial leagues relative to pay leagues is the entry draft/player development side of the game, which just doesn't matter in a finite time horizon. The other thing of course is a set of owners that are engaged, as opposed to the "never set their lineups after the initial draft" or "lost their password after a couple day" types that you get semi-frequently in trial leagues. Not to say pay leagues are perfect in that regard of course, we all know the site isn't thriving as it once was.

As to the topic actually at hand, that's a bad bad slump, but I personally wouldn't make anything of it. Play enough seasons and you'll see everything eventually, including the 1st percentile and 99th percentile outcomes for some players. My personal mantra is trust that the ratings will win out in the end, and don't ride the highs and lows too much. Or do, everybody should have fun their way (as long as it doesn't harm anyone else), especially if you're paying for that privilege in the first place.
Zeuslives2016

Post by Zeuslives2016 »

matthewlee3 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:26 am I'm not sure why this turned personal, but generally I will say that the biggest thing lacking in trial leagues relative to pay leagues is the entry draft/player development side of the game, which just doesn't matter in a finite time horizon. The other thing of course is a set of owners that are engaged, as opposed to the "never set their lineups after the initial draft" or "lost their password after a couple day" types that you get semi-frequently in trial leagues. Not to say pay leagues are perfect in that regard of course, we all know the site isn't thriving as it once was.

As to the topic actually at hand, that's a bad bad slump, but I personally wouldn't make anything of it. Play enough seasons and you'll see everything eventually, including the 1st percentile and 99th percentile outcomes for some players. My personal mantra is trust that the ratings will win out in the end, and don't ride the highs and lows too much. Or do, everybody should have fun their way (as long as it doesn't harm anyone else), especially if you're paying for that privilege in the first place.
Very well said.
Glug

Post by Glug »

Always personal with some on this site... The owner card was made to make you want to buy more leagues to get more coaching points. Make the site more money. If that is your thing go for it. Brag about it and have fun. There are a lot of owners who enjoy buying dismal teams that don't win and helping them win. Those owners are just as goodnas you are. Tons of other reasons to play as well. Other things to motivate you other than average prestige points. Maybe if more did that there wouldn't be as many abandoned teams. None of us get to come up with some reason that the way they play is better. Outside of actual championships, I don't see a point about worrying about it or bragging about it.
bygmester

Post by bygmester »

Glug wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:17 am Other things to motivate you other than average prestige points.

Glug, I'm not sure if you're responding to my post or not but I'll answer anyway. The reason I commented really had nothing to do with prestige points. When I first started playing this game I leaned on this message board heavily. I don't know about you but when I don't know something I like to turn to people who know more than me for advice. That's the great thing about this message board. And honestly I was just shocked when I saw that the person I responded to basically had no experience in playing the actual game. I'd hate to think a new player, which are few and far between, would turn to the message board looking for answers and not getting good information.

-bygmester
“Every strike brings me closer to the next home run.”
-George Herman "Babe" Ruth
Glug

Post by Glug »

bygmester wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:23 pm
Glug wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:17 am Other things to motivate you other than average prestige points.

Glug, I'm not sure if you're responding to my post or not but I'll answer anyway. The reason I commented really had nothing to do with prestige points. When I first started playing this game I leaned on this message board heavily. I don't know about you but when I don't know something I like to turn to people who know more than me for advice. That's the great thing about this message board. And honestly I was just shocked when I saw that the person I responded to basically had no experience in playing the actual game. I'd hate to think a new player, which are few and far between, would turn to the message board looking for answers and not getting good information.

-bygmester
While your post did bring up the thoughts it wasn't directed at you. Thy
Glug

Post by Glug »

bygmester wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:23 pm

-bygmester
While your post did bring up the thoughts it wasn't directed at you. More so to the posters I see saying that the average prestige points is what makes good owners. Also watching a lot of them playing in a way that would bore the heck out of me. Just pointing out there is a ton of fun ways to play. There is a big learning curve in the game and most posters (like you) are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.
LTJaeger

Post by LTJaeger »

How can anyone get into a personal beef with WillyD? Not only is he great at playing this game, he's one of the most helpful guys on the site, and is ALWAYS friendly and non-combative in his posts.

I stopped posting on here a couple years ago, because there are a handful of guys that love to turn things into personal attacks, and it got old. But Willy just isn't one of those guys. SimDynasty should pay the guy for all the help he provides. Also, it's been a long time, but years ago we had a nice run in a league where our two teams were fighting it out for the title year in and year out. They were some of the best seasons I've ever had here, and even though we were highly competitive rivals, he never failed to offer his expertise if I requested it.

Anyway, my two cents~
cipher

Post by cipher »

On another note my player has bounced back a bit and has had a decent year. Though, his power numbers are still down quite a bit but not as bad. Seems like at this point, that his three very good season are the outliers.
frankum

Post by frankum »

Some players just inexplicably don’t perform. The most egregious explanation of this i have experienced is: http://simdynasty.com/player.jsp?id=136 ... imps=stats

From 2260-2266 he was A+/A+/A-/A+ with 85 speed. And he was a lefty. And never had an OPS higher than .940. Was he consistent and solid? Yes. But I think those ratings are so absurdly good that the rightful expectations of us all would be much much higher.

Return to “Baseball Game Questions”