Stealing Settings

Owner to Owner help and advice
mattyb5000

Stealing Settings

Post by mattyb5000 »

After many years of being very conservative with my stealing settings (as in, mostly never stealing) I'm looking for ideas on successful stealing settings other owners have used that achieve greater than 75% success. All ideas/feedback welcomed!

Thanks,
Matt
allenciox

Re: Stealing Settings

Post by allenciox »

For >=75% success, I have found that severely reducing stealing frequency for those not rated at least A+ in speed is essential.
What I do, is that whenever I am facing a catcher that is A+ arm, I set A+ speed to very aggressive (aggressive if series is away games), A to conservative, and everything to below A as never steal.

If I am facing an A arm, I will move A to moderate (and always very aggressive for A+). A- arm gets both A and A+ as very aggressive (still never steal for A- speed and below); and B+ arm I increase A- speed to conservative.
Killroy24

Post by Killroy24 »

Thanks for the stealing info That explains a lot.
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

My question is do you change these settings every game?

I personally don't have the time to micromanage my settings like this.

Do you have any recommendations for a broad-based set it once at the start of the season and let 'er run...?
Beanballs

Post by Beanballs »

I set the decision weight at the bottom to 50 for catchers arm and 50 for speed, then Ultra Agressive for A+ speed, Agressive for A or A- speed, anyone with B+ or below speed to never steal.

For catchers arms Moderate for A and the rest Ultra Agressive, I do not tinker with the other settings too much, setting them mainly to moderate.

That seems to get solid results, with a contact/speed based team in the CPBL (looking quickly all starting catchers are A or higher) I had 223 steals and 64 caught for 77% (Baltimore NattyBohs):

http://simdynasty.com/teamstats.jsp?mode=batter&lid=376 (League will advance to the offseason tonight at midnight)
The Land of Pleasant Living
mattyb5000

Post by mattyb5000 »

Thanks for the responses all. I was curious to see what others are doing and this is very helpful info. For me the only way I've been able to get 75%+ stealing is to rarely steal at all. As in, never stealing against red-letter arm catchers which make up most of the leagues I'm in and certainly the top competitive teams. 30-50 steals a season is about as much as I get, and usually less. I'd like to bump up those numbers so the advice here is very helpful.
allenciox

Post by allenciox »

Yeah, to get 75% stealing I HAVE to only steal with only A+ runners, at least in my league... and then sometimes I still can't get it.
ratman44

Post by ratman44 »

The hilarious thing to me as a former catcher is that throwing a runner out is much more dependent on the pitcher. Caught a kid with a crazy long wind up who had great control but not the greatest Velocity I am pretty sure that unless the runner was a sloth I didn’t even bother to throw because I had no shot at second.
Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

The question is whether that 75% mark is really the one to hit in SimD. Way back when I tried to correlate wins to several factors, indications were that agressive stealing will still improve team performance at sightly lower rates.

My teams are usually up there in the SB department, and one thing I do is that I value speed a lot more than other owners. I had teams where the slowest starter had A speed, and usually half of my starters can bunt for base hits.
loonatic

Post by loonatic »

My teams only steal with two outs, as the risk/reward is much more in my favor then. I'm very aggressive about it, even when facing A-rated catchers, and average 75% success with A+ speed and 70% with A speed.

Return to “Baseball Game Questions”