I'd like to see evidence of ball park influence

Let us know what you'd like to see!
Kingturtle

I'd like to see evidence of ball park influence

Post by Kingturtle »

It should be written into the play by play, just like +/- is, and just like aggressive baserunning is.
Slvanlae

Re: I'd like to see evidence of ball park influence

Post by Slvanlae »

I agree. I haven't figured out how to craft a team after park design. Non factor for me.
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

I think I'd like a little more specificity. I'm trying to imagine what you mean, and all I can think of are scenarios that would require massive amounts of coding specific to to the dozens and dozens of ballpark designs available to users and then I think about the time requirement that would require of Admin and then I think about the issues we have just keeping the game interface up and running and then I shake my head a lot.

I mean, yeah, it would definitely be cool ... but holy woo, what a job!

I thought adding two words to the code, randomly applied, would add a touch of realism and I was shot down years ago. I wanted to see, when a player strikes out,

Player X strikes out "looking."
Player X strikes out "swinging."

So, umm, good luck with this request, man.
Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 »

So ... more than the GM > Stadium > League Stadium List ? Which already includes a Park Factor (baseline of 1.00 indicates exactly league average scoring, lower is less scoring, higher is more scoring)?
Kingturtle

Post by Kingturtle »

If the parks have influence, then results are influenced. Any time a result is influenced, it should appear in the play-by-play. "Out on a foul ball in extended foul territory" "Ground out to first as a result of astroturf" "Deep fly ball out because of deep fence" "Home run because of shallow fence" "Double because of tall left field wall" etc.
GM33

Post by GM33 »

Those would be amazing. If too granular to implement, I think even the following less detailed *additions* would help a lot in making decisions on field design/adjustments.

...hits a homerun *to left/center/or right field* (or also *in the park* if applicable)
...doubles to left/center/or right field *off the wall* (vs. any other double that isn't hit off the wall)

And another which may or may not be trickier would be,
...flies out to the left/center/or right fielder *at the wall*
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

ballmark wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:08 pm I think I'd like a little more specificity. I'm trying to imagine what you mean, and all I can think of are scenarios that would require massive amounts of coding specific to to the dozens and dozens of ballpark designs available to users and then I think about the time requirement that would require of Admin and then I think about the issues we have just keeping the game interface up and running and then I shake my head a lot.
Not necessarily. I actually wrote this code ages ago.

The football sim uses a detailed physics simulation for kicks, so it knows precisely where the ball is when it crosses the plane of the goalposts. I adapted that simulation to baseball, which is a bit different (look up the Magnus effect, it's fascinating), and in tests, I was able to determine exactly how far above or below the top of the wall the ball is. I actually had enough detail to be able to say, specifically, "This ball that would have been a home run in the default park was just a double in this park".

And then.... the code got shoved in a drawer. I didn't have access to the soft chewy center of the sim yet, and it was too much work for too little benefit to integrate my code with Tyson's as they were radically different approaches.

How did this work? Right now, the sim uses five "rays" out from home plate to define a park. So no matter what angles or curves a park has, parks of similar sizes behave similarly. I simply subdivided the park into more rays, overlaid them on the original park drawings (which I did in Visio, so getting precise measurements was easy), and hand-keyed all that data into a spreadsheet. So a stadium with a funky corner would occasionally have balls go into that funky corner and actually behave properly.

The question is whether or not I can still locate this data. (rummage rummage rummage) It's not close at hand. I do have the foul area calculations; that was another planned upgrade that was never implemented.

So it has definitely been on my mind to revisit this.

Chris
To help us serve you better, please use the support system for all questions or problems. PMs should NEVER be used. The Support system is always read before PMs.
ballmark

Post by ballmark »

Holy Woo!

Well, that is encouraging, indeed.
Kingturtle

Post by Kingturtle »

Cool getting a look inside SD.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Kingturtle wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:55 pm Cool getting a look inside SD.
Come play with us in the beta site if you like that sort of thing! If you're interested, drop me a support ticket.

Chris
To help us serve you better, please use the support system for all questions or problems. PMs should NEVER be used. The Support system is always read before PMs.

Return to “Baseball Suggestions And Enhancements”