The Unwritten Rules of Simdy?

Discussions for the Vin Scully League.

Moderators: WillyD, alecansky74

Easytarget12

The Unwritten Rules of Simdy?

Post by Easytarget12 »

So, as I've mentioned this is my first simdy team. I've mostly really enjoyed it, largely thanks to this group, who I've gotten a lot of good specific advice and feedback from. But I'm growing a little frustrated at the amount of things I don't know about the sim that I also don't see in the rulebook, and I'm wondering if some of the more experienced players can help me out.

Recent example: I just promoted 22 year old Roger Scott to the majors. I had a bullpen injury, and while he's not done developing, he's gonna be legit and was my only pitcher with options who was even remotely major league ready. So I promoted him. I know 22 is a prime minors improvement age, but I figured one month facing some major league pitching wouldn't dramatically affect his total ICs for the year, and this way I might get lucky and discover something about his major league development curve. Now, my hope ever since he got some early endurance improvements is to one day move Scott to the rotation (C+ endurance at the moment). But for this short-term call up, I put him in the bullpen because that's where the hole is: he slots nicely as a long reliever.

Another owner told me this was a big mistake, especially if I wanted Scott to start one day. That pitching him in relief would not only dramatically reduce any chance of getting more endurance ICs, but it could actually stunt that growth permanently, and in fact his endurance could hypothetically go DOWN pitching in the pen. In the abstract, I can sort of see why this might be a thing, there's a kind of sense to it, so I can work with that now that I know it. But what is frustrating is that there is nothing in the rules to suggest that the accruement/conversion of ICs has to do with anything besides player type (bust/enigma/etc), mentor proximity while in the bigs, or total number of players while in the minors. But it seems like role plays a part as well, so what are some of the other unwritten rules of successfully maximizing player development?

I realize I'm the competition asking for help, but, is winning under rules that not everyone knows truly winning?
(Of course it is, but, c'mon! Help a newbie out.)
WillyD

Re: The Unwritten Rules of Simdy?

Post by WillyD »

Easytarget12 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:56 am Another owner told me this was a big mistake, especially if I wanted Scott to start one day. That pitching him in relief would not only dramatically reduce any chance of getting more endurance ICs, but it could actually stunt that growth permanently, and in fact his endurance could hypothetically go DOWN pitching in the pen. In the abstract, I can sort of see why this might be a thing, there's a kind of sense to it, so I can work with that now that I know it. But what is frustrating is that there is nothing in the rules to suggest that the accruement/conversion of ICs has to do with anything besides player type (bust/enigma/etc), mentor proximity while in the bigs, or total number of players while in the minors. But it seems like role plays a part as well, so what are some of the other unwritten rules of successfully maximizing player development?
Whoever told you that is completely wrong. Or maybe you misunderstood him.

First off, 22 isn't a prime year for minor league development. Not unless he's C or C+ overall. A good prospect is already B or B+ overall at this age, and therefore won't usually improve that well at 22 unless he has an alternative development curve. Roger Scott is OS23, so he'll be getting major league ICs at that age which is as good as or better than minor league 22 ICs.

Secondly, if he's at C+ endurance, he will not lose any endurance pitching as a reliever. In order to get hit with the penalty, he would have to have B- or higher endurance, and pitch as a reliever in 75%+ of his appearances.

Thirdly, in terms of stunting his growth, the only thing that would do that is if he doesn't get enough appearances. Relievers need appearances more than innings to accrue ICs. I would make sure he pitches a lot, which he can do with that C+ endurance. If you're having a hard time getting him ICs as a reliever, then I'd start him. You may be reluctant to pitch him because of his lower skill grades, but I seriously doubt you'll be in the playoff picture come mid-season, so I would focus exclusively on development at this point.

Lastly, in order to develop your pitchers as best as possible, you should split them between the majors and the minors while they have options) at OS23 or older. The first 25 major league ICs will all go to velocity and control! After that it's a 33% chance to go to endurance instead. Unless your pitcher is really good already, and needs endurance improves, it isn't worth getting him more than 25 ICs. You should be able to hit 25 in a half-season with proper mentoring, and then have hm spend the other half in the minors, where he should get between 25-40 more chances, with most of them usually going to velocity and control.

I think for Scott, giving him a half season in the majors at his age is fine. But again, I caution, make sure he's pitching! Start him in one of your first 4 slots, or make him pitch as often as possible out of the pen without pitching 5 consecutive games (that increases the chance of an injury). I'd maybe start him and try and get him 5 innings+ every start. Safer that way. If you do send him back down after Hilgendorf heals, just make sure you get him 25 major league IC's next season, as OS24 and 25 are the best conversion years for a major league pitcher!
mr1313

Post by mr1313 »

I agree with Willy on all of this but I also consider health of the player when promoting them at least in this league.
DiamondCutters

Post by DiamondCutters »

Thanks Willy, I knew endurance could decline in the bullpen, but didn't know the stipulations.

But will Scott's endurance actually improve from major league innings in the pen (after the first 25 ICs)?

I've always played the game with a loose interpretation of the rules and it has worked out for me for the most part. And that's the beauty of SimD. But I think Sam is frustrated that some of what Willy stated is not explicitly mapped out in the guide. Is there a chance Sam may have missed it or is the guide not as thorough as it should be?
alecansky74

Post by alecansky74 »

What will happen to the endurance of my starter used in relief?
A starting pitcher who starts 25% or less of his games for the season, and pitches more than 25 innings, will lose endurance points equal to [10 * (1 - ( games started / games pitched) )]. A starting pitcher appearing only in the bullpen will therefore lose 10 points -- just over one letter grade in endurance. The pitcher may also earn endurance improvement chances during the year, which may partially offset the penalty.

System 3

This system will have 6 ICs per game, and there are no CPs individually assigned. All players will have an equal chance of being selected for an IC. For a 15-man minor league squad, each player will get roughly 64 ICs per season. In other words, all prospects are developed as fully as possible. You may experience missed ICs if you have less than 15 eligible players in the minor leagues.

http://rules.simdynasty.com/index.php/S ... provement
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

mr1313 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:40 am I agree with Willy on all of this but I also consider health of the player when promoting them at least in this league.
That's certainly a consideration. I'll risk injury on most pitchers at OS24+ for 25 ICs, but for a bad health guy I might leave him down thru OS23. Of course, I also tend to avoid poor health pitchers for the most part. Relievers seem to get hurt pretty often because of all the appearances. So health certainly plays a part in development, or lack thereof.
Easytarget12

Post by Easytarget12 »

Interesting. So, while it doesn't mention specific letter grades anywhere, you are extrapolating: a player with B- or higher stamina is classified as a starter, starters receive penalties to END for pitching too much in the pen, Scott has C+ endurance so it doesn't apply. That at least is a rule I can understand, thank you.

But, uh, where did you find it? I don't see it in the rule guide you shared RE: variable development, which is the same rule guide I've been (trying to) look at in the past...
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

DiamondCutters wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:57 am Thanks Willy, I knew endurance could decline in the bullpen, but didn't know the stipulations.

But will Scott's endurance actually improve from major league innings in the pen (after the first 25 ICs)?

I've always played the game with a loose interpretation of the rules and it has worked out for me for the most part. And that's the beauty of SimD. But I think Sam is frustrated that some of what Willy stated is not explicitly mapped out in the guide. Is there a chance Sam may have missed it or is the guide not as thorough as it should be?
Scott's endurance, or any pitcher for that matter, can improve if they get more than 25 ICs in the majors. It's random how the ICs get assigned after the 25th one. Sometimes out of 55 ICs you could see 45 go to control and velocity, and other times it might only be in the high 30's.

The game guide doesn't tell you everything. If you're serious at this game I would suggest reading as much as you can on the boards. I was voracious my first few years playing SimD, reading everything I could in the guide, and on the boards, and checking it with the results I was seeing in my leagues. The admins have released some of the secrets of the game over the years in various posts, too many to list. There are a number of good ones on defense that came out after they created the stadium effects, and then the base-running rules on stretching. These are must reads if you want to take your game to the next level. Loonatic did a study on stretching results that blew my mind, and forever changed how I look at OF defense.
jvo1

Post by jvo1 »

On my phone, was just idly skimming, but I will quickly mention you can have C+ endurance and technically be a starting pitcher. That one outlier can affect the previous statement about C+ endurance pitchers and their usage.
jvo1

Post by jvo1 »

Also, with the injuries in this league, I would keep the pitcher in the minors as long as possible. And I mean that—like OS 26 or whatever. If I had a B+ kid I would rather pick up a random B+ pitcher to fill in. If he had great health and I wasn’t competitive and I could put him as the #1 option in all situations I might reconsider but otherwise not.

Return to “Vin Scully League”