Stud Pitchers for Sale

Discussions for the Frank Robinson League.

Moderator: WillyD

Hamilton2

Stud Pitchers for Sale

Post by Hamilton2 »

Well, the hitting has absolutely fallen off a cliff with declines, so I"m forced to try to sell.

Gil Plodinec is OS 34, but he is also 1 of only 3 89 overall SP's in the league. He's a stud. He can head a playoff rotation this year and make an impact for at least 2 more seasons into declines. He had a 1.97 ERA just 2 years ago. I would like 2 pieces for him, including a top 10 draft pick and something else semi-useful.

SP Frankie Soto is also available. If you prefer a control heavy bundle going into declines, Soto is your man. 78/88 splits with 82 endurance makes him a very appealing SP 2 or 3 for a playoff team. This former 20 game winner won't be as expensive as Gil, but I would still love to get 2 pieces for him (not a top 10 pick, necessarily). Maybe a late 1st and a prospect.

Perhaps of even more value/interest are the RP's:

At OS 31 and a solid 86 overall grade, Christian McManus is arguably the best reliever in the league. He has multiple seasons before declines. Last season he contributed a 2.55 ERA in 130 innings for us.

Bill Ward is slightly older, but still with multiple seasons prior to declining. He is a max velocity pitcher with a career ERA of 3.28. His K's in the clutch are a thing of beauty and with 48 endurance you could theoretically use him from a starting role in a pinch. Ward has never posted an ERA worse than 3.97, has topped 150 innings for each of the past 6 seasons, and won a Cy Young award out of the pen in 2102 for Brooklyn.

I would love to get 3 pieces each for the two RP's. IMO they are worth it as impact arms to put your squad over the top.

I value top 3 picks as 2 pieces. Picks 4-9 as 1.5 pieces. Picks 10-16 as 1 piece. 2nd rounders are OK-ish. Any prospects that project better than what I've got 10-14 cp's on in the minors are considered pieces as well.

Thanks for your offers!

(Oh! And if there is a hitter that you want, hit me up, I'm open to all kinds of ideas.)
phen0m

Re: Stud Pitchers for Sale

Post by phen0m »

Granted i dont think Seattle gave up a ton for Ward, and Stewart was a waiver wire pickup, generally isn't it a bit unethical to be making win-now trades for old vets when you're going to be leaving after the season?
Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 »

Given the "value" that I got back, how could it possibly not have been in Seattle's best interest?
phen0m

Post by phen0m »

Obviously its in 2105 Seattles best interest. Not sure the next owner or expansion team would prefer a 34 year old Ward though. And i was more just talking generally and not saying this trade was particularly hampering to the expansion teams. I just always thought it was kind of an unwritten rule to not trade if youre leaving after the season, especially if youre trading young for old.
WillyD

Post by WillyD »

Considering he gave up guys that weren't going to play much for him and that weren't really prospects, I think it was a fair deal to make. Those guys need to play everyday or their value was going to be minimal next season.
Hamilton2

Post by Hamilton2 »

From a philosophical perspective, my opinion is that you can't make a lopsided deal that makes no sense. Don't sell your 19yr old prospect stud for aging vets. Don't dump players for less than their peak value just to chase that last ring. However, marginal guys? Middling prospects? If you can get even a little bit better and give up mediocrity, why not?

Return to “Frank Robinson League”