Wheel Discussion Continued

Discussions for the Billy Williams League.

Moderators: BigRich, mhollidaze

BigRich

Wheel Discussion Continued

Post by BigRich »

Just to bring this out where everyone can see it again (since my post dated today did not do that) I am starting a new post. This is what I posted today in that thread: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=16358
With Fredbirds leaving I feel I want to bring this up again. I would like to make rebuilding a little easier but keep the draft as is until it runs it's current cycle to be fair to all. In 2044 the wheel as we have had it will have run 2 complete cycles once that years draft is run. I put this up in Oct for discussion. Mhollidaze I would like to ask if you would be ok with making the change I proposed to the wheel draft be put up for vote to go into effect for the 2045 year draft. If it is and it's approved by majority ownership only the 1st 4 draft picks of each drafting year would be assigned by the wheel and draft picks 5-16 would be assigned by the records of the previous year. How would the commissioner do this? After the end of year runs the game does the draft order for us already assigning 1-16. It only involves the commissioner to write down that order on paper and scratch out the 4 teams slotted 1-4 as he slots them in the new order from the wheel chart and then just plug in the remaining teams from the 12 teams still on your list in descending order. It would be no more work for the commissioner than you have to do now. As co-commissioner I would put this up for a vote myself but I am uncertain if I will still be in the league to see the change come into effect and don't want to leave you with something I might not have to live with too, so I want Mhollidaze being ok with it.
2ndCos

Re: Wheel Discussion Continued

Post by 2ndCos »

Just so I understand the 4 lowest teams would still rotate on a 1-16 basis dependant on their current position on the wheel chart? and 5-16 would fill in the rest? so if the worst team was 14 pick on the wheel the change your proposing does not change for him but will be grouped by record for 5- 16? so the # 5 team would get one of the first 4 picks? And if any of the other bottom 4 teams are out of the first four range more of the 5-16 would move down also? I hope I worded that correctly looking for clarification. Thanks, Kevin
historymann49

Post by historymann49 »

As I've said before, I dislike the wheel and would love to see it eliminated all together. That said, Rich's proposal is certainly an improvement over what we have now. As Beanballs noted when we had this discussion in October, the one advantage of the wheel is that you can trade picks two or three seasons out and know exactly what you're getting, or giving up. But, in my opinion, it makes the rebuilding process longer and more difficult.
greysonburke

Post by greysonburke »

For what it's worth:

My opinion is that I like the wheel draft a lot for the knowing exact what pick you're getting reason, as well as for the chess vs checkers analogy previously used by another owner. It kind of ruins it for me with purposeful tanking and dynasties resulting from that. The wheel was a big reason I chose to join this league, and is part of what is making NYNs current run so impressive.

However, I'd be willing to do an adapted wheel draft, as proposed if that's a compromise and would make more folks happier with the league overall.

So my vote is to leave as-is but would consent to an adapted wheel, and would even suggest the top 6 picks being a wheel, with the rest in reverse finishing order.
2ndCos

Post by 2ndCos »

So I went and read the other post and now it makes sense. I am for it!
kswetnam

Post by kswetnam »

I'm a fan of the wheel. It makes the BWL unique and sets us apart from other leagues. When the wheel was introduced to the BWL (2013 I believe), my franchise was at the end of an impressive run of 15 straight seasons with 95+ wins. So, the wheel was introduced at the absolute wrong time for my franchise, but I was still ready for something different.

I had about 6 sub-par seasons, but then we went on another solid run with 13 straight seasons over 89 wins. The wheel brings its own challenges, but having sustained success can absolutely be achieved in this system, it just needs to be built differently then what we were accustomed to.

I vote to keep the wheel.
mhollidaze

Post by mhollidaze »

Rich, I’d be good with putting to a vote with three options;
A) Wheel Draft stays as is.
B) Wheel Draft is modified, 1-4 by Wheel and 5-16 by standings.
C) Blow up Wheel and go with Draft Order by Standings.
I would also like a minimum of 75% of the owners to vote. That would seem to go without saying. As far as how may votes to make a change, with a 75% minimum needed to consider and with 3 options to chose from a simple majority should be enough to make a change.
What does everyone else think?
If we choose to vote I would ask BigRich to follow through with setting up this poll!
Thanks,
Mike
historymann49

Post by historymann49 »

By all means, let's vote.

Return to “Billy Williams League”