Discussions for the Carl Dunn League.
MNRebel

ISO?

Post by MNRebel »

What is ISO and when did it show up on our player's baseball card :?:
NDPAF

Re: ISO?

Post by NDPAF »

Not sure when it was added but ISO is Isolated Slugging. It basically tells you when a guy gets a hit, how much power he has. It’s the difference between avg and slg. Slg alone doesn’t tell the whole picture with power - ichiro slugged more than .450 several times but obviously wasn’t a power hitter, while a guy like Adam Dunn slugged 450 while hitting 40hrs. Clearly those two guys didn’t have the same power. ISO of .150 is around average. .250 is elite power
MNRebel

Post by MNRebel »

Thank you for the education! I have to admit that I am not an advanced stat guy. I still look at WHIP for a pitcher and SLG/OBP for a hitter.

Does anyone have a great new stat that us Boomers should know about? :D
NDPAF

Post by NDPAF »

Personally, I like wOBA, weighted on base average. Batting average is ok, but treats all hits the same. OBP is better because it includes walks/hbp but still weighs all hits as equal. SLG values hits differently, but by counting bases which is not accurate to the hit’s value (a triple is not 3 times as valuable as a single). OPS’s short coming is that by adding obp and slg, you’re effectively saying they have equal value - they don’t (10 points in OBP is more valuable than 10 point SLG). From fangraphs: “ weighted On-Base Average combines all the different aspects of hitting into one metric, weighting each of them in proportion to their actual run value. While batting average, on-base percentage, and slugging percentage fall short in accuracy and scope, wOBA measures and captures offensive value more accurately and comprehensively”. It’s scaled like OBP so .320 is around average, .400 is pretty elite.
ptech

Post by ptech »

CardFan4520

Post by CardFan4520 »

All great information for this boomer also because I’m lazy about moneyball and all the new information. Lol Still miss the fastest show on turf, hit and run, stolen bases etc.. Again thanks for the info and a new way to evaluate players and trades. CN

Return to “Carl Dunn League”