Our First (God Willing, Only) Playoff Under Quarantine

Discussions for the Mike Piazza League.

Moderator: carlyaz

Easytarget12

Our First (God Willing, Only) Playoff Under Quarantine

Post by Easytarget12 »

As we enter the first ever MPL playoffs during quarantine, I have to imagine that an unusually high number of MPL owners that didn't make the playoffs, like myself, might be tuning into the games today—these two series are legitimately the best sports option I've had to watch in weeks.

My money is on the Mounties—not because I think they're the best team, that's obviously the Black Sox (MVP, Cy, and Fireman is a nice sort of triple crown! NYG just missed doing the same!)—but because SimDy seems to love using the playoffs to even out the year's accomplishments, and the Mounties are the least decorated of our four 100 win teams, just in terms of all-star recognition. I'm guessing, basically, that a relative underdog will win, because it seems like they always do.

Best of luck to all! With any luck we'll at least get some 7 game series to keep us occupied...
historymann49

Re: Our First (God Willing, Only) Playoff Under Quarantine

Post by historymann49 »

My money is on the Crullers. (I hope I'm wrong, though. :) ) They've been a thorn in my side since I joined this league. Best of luck to all the playoff teams. (Especially NY!)
Myrmidon

Post by Myrmidon »

If you look at the team stats Tampa and Toronto are very evenly matched. Both teams have tremendous hitting but pitching is what wins in the playoffs most of the time. That said New York is still the team to beat.
historymann49

Post by historymann49 »

Myrmidon wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:20 pm If you look at the team stats Tampa and Toronto are very evenly matched. Both teams have tremendous hitting but pitching is what wins in the playoffs most of the time. That said New York is still the team to beat.
You were saying? :(
dabigtrain

Post by dabigtrain »

historymann49 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:43 pm You were saying? :(
But a very close series it was; the difference was not the pitching, but the 10 RBIs in six games by LF Carlton Naton, who clearly sees this may be his last shot at a ring.
DiamondCutters

Post by DiamondCutters »

Our bats went silent. Good luck to both World Series teams!
historymann49

Post by historymann49 »

dabigtrain wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:48 pm
historymann49 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:43 pm You were saying? :(
But a very close series it was; the difference was not the pitching, but the 10 RBIs in six games by LF Carlton Naton, who clearly sees this may be his last shot at a ring.
:o The difference was not the pitching? Who did Naton (and most of the rest of your lineup) get those hits off? NY Reg. Season ERA - 3.12, NLCS - 4.25!
Myrmidon

Post by Myrmidon »

Great series Crullers you had me very nervous going down 3-1. Finally a 31 season drought comes to an end. This is by far the most competitive league I play in. Wayne also saw this as his last chance to earn a ring and wins A.L.C.S. and World Series MVP awards. Thanks to Chicago and Florida for the trades that made this possible.

Return to “Mike Piazza League”