Does defence matter?

Discussions for the Bob Horner League.

Moderator: Hamilton2

dirtdevil

Does defence matter?

Post by dirtdevil »

Ah, the age old question. In 2139, STL starters won 3 gold gloves- the most of any team in the BoHo. SS Joe Kelly, CF Weldon Larose and RF Leon Siglin were all the top point getter at their positions in either league. The Men In Laundry won 58 games, good for dead last -a mere 8 games behind the 15th overall club.

The evidence would seem to suggest the answer is no. :D :D
lordlau1

Re: Does defence matter?

Post by lordlau1 »

I think that analysis would need to include how your pitching and batting was?

My initial thoughts tell me that it does matter because unearned runs are runs that didn't need to be given up.
4EverGreen

Post by 4EverGreen »

Does fielding matter in SD??? Yes. Is it as important as hitting and pitching??? I haven't studied this with any facts BUT personally give me an MVP candidate over a Gold Glover any day.

That said I do appreciate having a balanced squad and that includes fielding. Right now (through 18 games) I lead the league in errors with 14 and unearned runs with 12 (next closest team has 7). Over the course of a full season if this holds that is gonna cost me a few games that a better fielding team won't face - and that might make the difference in a tight playoff race.

I do try to make sure my SS, CF and 1B have red letter range and that my 3B and corner outfielders have red letter arms (but, again, will put a big bat ahead of a great fielder in my lineup every day). Ahhh...see Paragraph 2 above!
Johngarm70u

Post by Johngarm70u »

This has various opinons from what I have read. I have read numerous posts about just how it doesn't. That you shouldn't really worry about it. However, that is just someone's opinion. Because of that let me give you mine.

First, the winners of the gold glove IMO are just a decision made by ABE. A program that is made to say if this player has this they win. Is that indicative of a true gold glove? I have seen some that make me scratch my head but IMO it does a pretty decent job at it. Again though. It isn't perfect. Maybe that can have an effect on how the team does?

Saying that. I like good defense and believe certain stats on defense matter depending on position. I could get into it but will just say it this way. Good defense makes your pitching better and therefore effects your standings. I haven't always had the best team but I have had teams win because the mediocre pitching staff has been helped by defense. So far this year is kinda the same. I(cleveland) do not have a good pitching staff yet in the first 18 games it shows them as being #1. This won't last but my defense is holding them up(IMO). My catchers arm is A+ and been healthy. My range or arms are all decent to very good and I am trying to hide my less than stellar defensive players. Somehow that is why I have even won 7 games this year as my offense is horrible.

Last point. I used to play on the Rickey Branch league. Something I took pride in was seeing someone ask how my team would win in certain seasons. Even going as far as to say I must be a programmer to have this horrible team winning. What they didn't realize and what I find to be a good mix for a team is decent starting pitching, great defense and get good hitters with good defense later in the draft when other teams are focusing on pitching and hit only hitters. This league so far seems to value defense. Obviously getting someone with it all is nice but it is what you get later that makes your team win. That can be defense IMO.

Do can you have great hitters with poor defense win? Yes.
Can you win with really good gloves? IMO yes.
Johngarm70u

Post by Johngarm70u »

I just read what Evergreen posted while I was posting. I totally agree.Here is IMO a break down of what is important. It has to be balanced behind hitting when drafting but can be a difference maker if players are close in your draft order.

Catcher- Arm matters. Range does not.
1B - Range matters. Arm does not.
2B- Range is more important than arm.
SS- Range is very important. Arm is more important than 2B.
3B- Debatable. I l like high arm and decent range. Better Range if my SS isn't maxed out
LF- Depending on your park. Best place to put your weakest defensive player.
CF- Most say Range needs to be super high and arm can be lower.
RF- also depending on park. Most say best arm and range can somewhat suffer.

All positions IMO are effected by the guys next to them and their stats. That is very debatable
Johngarm70u

Post by Johngarm70u »

4EverGreen wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:22 am Does fielding matter in SD??? Yes. Is it as important as hitting and pitching??? I haven't studied this with any facts BUT personally give me an MVP candidate over a Gold Glover any day.

That said I do appreciate having a balanced squad and that includes fielding. Right now (through 18 games) I lead the league in errors with 14 and unearned runs with 12 (next closest team has 7). Over the course of a full season if this holds that is gonna cost me a few games that a better fielding team won't face - and that might make the difference in a tight playoff race.

I do try to make sure my SS, CF and 1B have red letter range and that my 3B and corner outfielders have red letter arms (but, again, will put a big bat ahead of a great fielder in my lineup every day). Ahhh...see Paragraph 2 above!
That is a good point. Would I rather a guy give up a single that cost me a run but then goes out and hit a three run homerun? Yes Sir.
lordlau1

Post by lordlau1 »

I'm not sure the original question was is fielding more important the hitting...no one would choose an MVP over a Gold Glover, but all stars are often synonymous with gold glovers and defense seems to matter to some degree.

Granted I've only completed about 15-20 seasons here in sym dynasty, but all of winning seasons had a top 1/3rd of the league defense. I like defense, but I wouldn't sacrifice a star for it...
4EverGreen

Post by 4EverGreen »

lordlau1 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:56 am I like defense, but I wouldn't sacrifice a star for it...
I tend to agree with this philosophy. A "25 HR guy" who costs us 10 - 15 runs in a season with lousy defense seems like a pretty decent trade off!
tworoosters

Post by tworoosters »

dirtdevil wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:16 pm Ah, the age old question. In 2139, STL starters won 3 gold gloves- the most of any team in the BoHo. SS Joe Kelly, CF Weldon Larose and RF Leon Siglin were all the top point getter at their positions in either league. The Men In Laundry won 58 games, good for dead last -a mere 8 games behind the 15th overall club.

The evidence would seem to suggest the answer is no. :D :D
I think defense does matter but nowhere near the value of hitting & pitching and nowhere near as much as it does in MLB. Your team defense last year was an excellent +52 with a reasonable .988 fielding % but that can't really make up for a .682 OPS and an ERA of 4.83
lordlau1

Post by lordlau1 »

That is very true, but a good team with good defense is just that much better.

Return to “Bob Horner League”