Please fix Minimum Endurance to Start

Let us know what you'd like to see!
Michael1

Please fix Minimum Endurance to Start

Post by Michael1 »

I have encountered owners that manage to get D+ pitchers to start. Mainly from shuffling pitchers around and ABE just goes to the most rested pitcher and down the line of bullpen pitchers. Can you please set the minimum for all games to at least a C level? The majority of us play in the spirit of the rules,this loophole takes the fun out the game.
spicoli306

Re: Please fix Minimum Endurance to Start

Post by spicoli306 »

Here's the problem I have with making "this change" to the playoffs. How often do teams in the modern era go with starters on 3 days rest? In my opinion, that is the same as having pitchers with low Endurance ratings start playoff games. Last postseason, managers were pulling starters immediately after they faced the lineup twice, which led to starters being pulled in the 3rd or 4th innings.

I realize the fix is due to Bawston's tactics in the playoffs of the WBL. Michael1, can you explain specific examples of why this feels abusive to you based on Montreal's success in the playoffs? Is it just unconventional use or is it performance that feels lacking in logic? I honestly think it is one of the ingenious moves made by an owner of questionable ethics. Since the playoffs offer more time off in between games, pitching management is one of the coolest opportunities to get an advantage in a shortened series. Now, if you believe it is unlikely that a pitcher with an F, D-, D, or D+ grade for Endurance should really be able to pitch 3-5 innings with the same level of performance as they are able to perform over a single inning, then I would be more likely to agree with you. I would encourage less static results out of a reliever asked to pitch 3+ innings. The problem with the game engine is that owners can game the system to remove pitchers immediately when they begin to tire (i.e. they are able to say without a doubt that their pitcher threw every pitch at 100%). This is not only unrealistic in a manager knowing such circumstances, but also not realistic in how pitchers struggle at times. I would also be in support of injury rates increasing due to reliever abuse and even starter abuse. There is currently very little problem with riding one's pitching horses with any significant punishment.
spicoli306

Post by spicoli306 »

Just doing a quick study, it looks like Montreal started this guy twice in the NLCS and 14 times in the playoffs in totality. I'm assuming this is a tactic to get the other team to start hitters that are ready to face a LHP. That certainly is a duplicitous move, but it is fairly easily countered (just set your lineup vs. LHP as the same as the vs. RHP lineup). Bawston clearly doesn't pitch Forefyve for more than an inning during most starts, so he likely shouldn't suffer a drop in performance. Does Bawston attempt to make his starting pitchers unknown prior to each playoff game? That would certainly be frustrating, but it is legal if an owner has the time and ability.
spicoli306

Post by spicoli306 »

I'm also going to piggyback on Michael1's suggestion in a way that I think is relevant. Too often LHPs don't show enough of an advantage versus LH hitters. I've had a fair number of LHPs turn into decent enough pitchers, but in general RHPs are much more valuable to carry. In real life baseball, LHP often put up terrific numbers versus LH hitters (which is part of the reason for the term LOOGY). Doug Hoover was a completely average relief pitcher for one of my teams. His career WHIP only differed from 1.29/1.41. His last 3 seasons prior to his decline he finally started to reliably get out LH hitters with WHIPs of 0.91, 0.86, 0.80. Those numbers should have likely been consistently at that level if you really want to mirror LHP effectiveness versus same-handed hitters.
spicoli306

Post by spicoli306 »

Here's an even more egregious example of LHP pitching completely differently than a typical "real-MLB southpaw pitcher" would perform.

I'm sure the small sample size argument is more than applicable, but 1.29/1.21 WHIP difference in performance vs LHB/vs RHB is just illogical. And yes, I know that not all LHPs will have better success versus LH hitters, but those are typically the outliers.

Return to “Baseball Suggestions And Enhancements”