Starting SP on short rest?

Discussions for the Vin Scully League.

Moderators: alecansky74, BKCUBS13

Easytarget12

Starting SP on short rest?

Post by Easytarget12 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:34 am

Okay, so, I'm still pretty new to SimDy. After taking about 10 seasons to build this team up, I've really only started fiddling with the granular management stuff the last two seasons. But I clearly don't have a handle on it yet: Yesterday, in my second NLCS ever, I tried to start my ace, Roger Scott, on short rest in game 6. I figured if it worked I'd try my #2 on short rest for game 7, or adjust all my pitching settings to super quick hooks and attack it like I'm the 2019 Brewers.

Scott was at 4/5 energy bars. I thought I could force him to start by going to preferences, choosing "SP strategy: never skip a starter", choosing "Next starter: Start first pitcher in rotation", and making sure I had Scott as my #1 SP. I even put Lewis, my only full rested SP, at SP #4 to try and discourage his use. It still listed Lewis as the starter in the "schedule w results" tab, but on my rotation/bullpen depth chart, it indicated Scott would be starting the next game.

I load up game six... Lewis is starting.

Now I'm certainly not complaining— we won game 6 and Scott was great on full rest in game 7, and now Miami gets its first world series appearance ever. So maybe ABE just overruled me because it knows better. In the fictional narrative in my mind, my manager told the front office to shove our analytics and started the savvy veteran in game 6 despite my orders to start Scott. (Lewis was terrible, for the record, and we won despite him. I still think Scott was the higher percentage move!)

This time it didn't matter. But, for future reference: Can you force an SP with 4/5 energy to start when there's a fully rested starter available? If so, how?

WillyD

Re: Starting SP on short rest?

Post by WillyD » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:53 am

No you need 5 bars to start a game, unless all of your pitchers are tired.

Pitchers with red letter endurance can sometimes pitch a game early if they get knocked out early in a game. For example I've had a number of pitchers get knocked around early in game 1, get pulled in the first few innings, and then be able to start game 4 because they're back to 5 bars.

Easytarget12

Re: Starting SP on short rest?

Post by Easytarget12 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:56 pm

Got it. Thanks!

Return to “Vin Scully League”